In memorium

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
First entry: To my mother.

She was born in 1936 in Saskatchewan in the middle of the Great Depression. Her dad died when she was 2, her mom when she was 6. She was raised by her Babba (grandmother) on a farm in rural SK. It was a tough life but she persevered. She worked hard and worked her way through university where she graduated with a Bachelors degree in Home Economics. She met my dad and married in 1957. She worked as a social worker even after me and my sister was born so my dad could also complete is university (Engineering). She continued working various jobs until her Lupus put a stop to that. She was diagnosed with Lupus when she was pregnant with me. The doctor's told her she would not live past 40. She doubled down and then some on their prognosis having celebrated her 84th birthday this year. While the end has been predicted for many years and her cognative functions have been gone for all intents and purposes for some time, I am still deeply saddened by the loss. Heading to Saskatoon to help my dad with funeral arrangements and stuff on Thursday. I have 6 days off for work. My sister is already there. I had a lovely picture of her and my dad and the grandkids but it is too large for this forum software.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"It was a tough life but she persevered." That could probably be said of the parents (or grandparents) of almost everyone here. They lived through depressions, wars, rationing, segregation, riots and other bad situations and managed to survive without asking for help from the government or charitable organizations. The current generation is not tough like that. Not at all.

IRBS, you have honored your mother by starting this thread and sharing her story. Eventually, happy memories will start to replace the pain you're feeling now. Be strong. Be like your mother. Be strong.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
She sounds like an amazing person, my condolences for your loss. Thirty years ago, my wife's father was in a coma and not expected to live. He fully recovered and we got another 28 years with him. I imagine you have a similar sense of appreciation for the extra time you got with your mom, although it still doesn't lessen the pain.

Reactions: IdRatherBeSkiing

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I'm very sorry to hear the news Idrather. You all around here were great when I lost my dad and I hope we can prove to be a small comfort to you in this rough times. You and your family will be in my prayers.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Funeral is on Tuesday. My sister is channeling her grief into being a controlling dictator. I am channeling mine to just being a dick. She lives yet another day (I haven't killed her). Praise Jesus. I can see why sometimes funerals cause rifts. I think we will be ok once funeral is done.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I am channeling mine to just being a dick

So business as usual for you?

If it makes her feel better to be in charge of everything and you don't really care let her have at it. You all will get through it in different ways.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So business as usual for you?

If it makes her feel better to be in charge of everything and you don't really care let her have at it. You all will get through it in different ways.

I do have ideas. Which is where the problem comes in. If I didn't care, it wouldn't piss me off so much.

And yes, business as usual.

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Tough it out. Pick and choose your battles. Give her a few decisions in trade for a few that you you feel strongly about.

After it's behind you and the stress is fading, it'll all settled down.

Good luck!

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
How you doing man?

If you don't want to respond that's cool, just wanted to check in while I'm clearly on this sad tear.

Thinking of you and yours.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
How you doing man?

If you don't want to respond that's cool, just wanted to check in while I'm clearly on this sad tear.

Thinking of you and yours.

I am ok 90% of the time. Meaning functional. I get derailed by emotion without warning every now and then. I still miss her which is strange since before she died she wasn’t well enough to have a phone conversation and she was in a different province. But now I feel empty. The human mind is not rational. I watch the slide show with the music we showed at the funeral several nights. That gives me comfort.

Thanx for asking. How are you doing with your dad? My wife lost her over a year ago and she is still struggling.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

• Sad
Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I made the video for Mrs Hectics fathers passing a couple of years ago.
Every now and then one of the songs will come on the radio or TV and it’ll get to me.

Music is a big trigger. I lose it with “Walk of Life” by Dire Straits.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
In memoriam: Teri Thompson, born July 6 1962, died April 6 2020. We met online in 1998 in a Christian singles chat room and married two days after we met in person. We did a lot of traveling, including five trips to Walt Disney World. Last September we celebrated our 21st anniversary. Teri was suffering from asthma, sleep apnea and low blood oxygen and was borderline diabetic. then had a mild stroke in February. While in the hospital, she had a mild seizure. She had been connected to an oxygen machine since coming home three days ago. At 4 AM today, she woke up. I asked her how she felt. "Fine," she said. We went back to sleep. At 6:30 I woke up and she was unresponsive. I called 911 and four police officers and two paramedics arrived within two minutes. Teri was already gone. I miss you, Teri. I will always love you. Wait for me in heaven.

Teri2.jpg