Inno or XMP3

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
I did something to my Inno yesterday and the antenna on the unit no longer works. Its okay in the doc or with the portable antenna plugged in but thats it.

So I am thinking of either getting another Inno or maybe the XMP3. Anyone have experience with both and can give me an idea of how they are different. I really like the Inno and have all the docks, which is another question. Does the XMP3 fit in an Inno dock ?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I haven't had an xmp3, but I know the docks aren't compatible. The MP3 has that great record 5 channels at once feature, and pause and rewind. Both being big upgrades over the Inno. It also can't record as many individual songs as the Inno, and from what I hear overall less buggy. I'm sure someone will respond who has had both.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I did something to my Inno yesterday and the antenna on the unit no longer works. Its okay in the doc or with the portable antenna plugged in but thats it.

So I am thinking of either getting another Inno or maybe the XMP3. Anyone have experience with both and can give me an idea of how they are different. I really like the Inno and have all the docks, which is another question. Does the XMP3 fit in an Inno dock ?

The XMP3 is tiny. No way it works with the Inno docks.

Thanks to the RIAA, the XMP3 cannot chop individual songs out of recording blocks. This is a big complaint of Inno owners trying to convert.

As mentioned, it can record 5 channels at once. However, virtually any blip in recording activity causes the unit to dump the entire recording schedule. It forces you to keep a copy on your hard drive to reload the unit.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
The xmp3 will record individual songs. Like Shabadoo said it won't save individual songs from a radio replay. I don't like either radio for scheduled recordings. Probably because they handle scheduled recording about the same. I think they are very poorly organized, and you can't record a show Mon-Fri. If you primarily listen to music, the xmp3 is great. It constantly records (when docked) the 5 channels you listen to most, so it is always full of different music you can take on the go. And of course the docks are different. The xmp3 comes with a home dock. If you have an inno dock, you can get a bare xmp3 car dock from tss for like $30 bucks. Hope that helps.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Technically the Inno is discontinued hardware. I do not believe they manufacture them anymore. The XMP3 or XMP3i look like cool hardware.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
Okay it's a year later and I'm surprised the Inno has made it through the year, but it is one tough sob, and I am back looking at the XMP3. I'm just wondering if there are still bugs and how people like the radio in general. There are a few Innos on ebay and amazon and I would be okay with just getting another but I think it might be time to do the upgrade.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I know what you mean fergz. My Inno has been through the fire, and still comes back for more. I picked up an extra one for $50 on craigslist a year ago, and have docks all over the place, so I doubt I'll upgrade anytime soon. Unless XM comes out with another portable past the XMP3, though unlikely.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have the XM MyFi's (2). If I ever upgrade, it will for sure be with the INNO. I have heard too many good things about it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yes those Inno's were made when XM was still in control. Now its basically nothing but junk that Sirius XM makes. Sirius has always had crappy hardware, while XM has always had pretty decent hardware. Now the lines are blured!

I think Sirius XM is looking at their future being on smart phones and other similar devices and not so much into having their own portables and other hardware.

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
The portable doesn't work anymore unless I plug in the antenna and the top pf the radio is barely still connected but everyday it continues to record the show I want and it powers on. It's 6 or 7 years old at this point but it really must be close to the end.

Dab is it worth it to try the XMP3 ? My phone is a blackberry and I know there is an app but I don't have the web subscription and I don't think you can schedule a recording that way. LIke I said I would have no issue buying another Inno but I thought I should look at thexmp3 first.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yes those Inno's were made when XM was still in control. Now its basically nothing but junk that Sirius XM makes. Sirius has always had crappy hardware, while XM has always had pretty decent hardware. Now the lines are blured!

I think Sirius XM is looking at their future being on smart phones and other similar devices and not so much into having their own portables and other hardware.

XMP3 was still made under XM control.

Of course, firmware updates are under SiriusXM's control.

danbo

Oct 16, 2009
Long Island NY
Does the XMP3i "remember" your spot if you turn the unit off? If you are listening to a recording and pause it and resume it later in the day, will it be in the same spot?

I thought I had read originally that it did not have this feature, but I was hoping with updates they may have given it that feature.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Does the XMP3i "remember" your spot if you turn the unit off? If you are listening to a recording and pause it and resume it later in the day, will it be in the same spot?

I thought I had read originally that it did not have this feature, but I was hoping with updates they may have given it that feature.

Doesn't have that feature :worried:

My XMP3 is still going strong. 2 years last month I activated it with an XM lifetime subscription :)

danbo

Oct 16, 2009
Long Island NY
Thanks Semipenguin. That's a shame it doesn't have that. It seems like something so simple, I can't believe they haven't added it in an update or something by now! It really makes life so easy to have it.

Reactions: semipenguin

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
I pulled the trigger and bought a XMP3 off of amazon and got the car kit for under $170.00.

Out of the box the unit looks better and is sleeker than the Inno. It looks like it is a fun little toy and I am looking forward to playing with it a bit.

I have it charging up and have already set it so that it records the show I listen to. That will be one of the tests it must pass.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
I have the XM MyFi (2). If I ever upgrade, it will for sure be with the INNO. I have heard too many good things about it.
I ended up buying an INNO over the weekend at a flea market. It powers on etc. It came with the home kit but no remote. It was priced at $50 but we negotiated to $35.

I am going to keep it inactive at the moment. I did buy the adaptor so it can play on my Delphi Premium boombox (did not see it on TSS radio :bigcry: )

If anything, I will play it during the free trail weeks. :bigthumbup:

This is serving as a backup in the event the MyFi goes south. They both use the same power etc.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
I just saw this thread tonight, today I sent my XMP3, Home Kit, Car Kit, Antenna, 2 remotes to a friend that uses XM. I haven't used it in years.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I just saw this thread tonight, today I sent my XMP3, Home Kit, Car Kit, Antenna, 2 remotes to a friend that uses XM. I haven't used it in years.

XMP3 is a great radio :)

The XMP3i has had firmware updates, but the XMP3 hasn't in years :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk :)