iOS 7

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have to say I dislike it. I had to manually kill about 10 applications which weren't really running in order to turn off location services icon. I think it fairly safe to say this will really drain the battery. If I run something which has location services on, I have to manually kill it to turn location services off. Pain in the royal ass. Also, the damn screen is making me dizzy with motion sickness.

And the calendar does suck.

There's a setting to "reduce motion" (I think) that disables the parallax background business. There's another setting to increase contrast that makes the home pages a little more legible.

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
I have to say I dislike it. I had to manually kill about 10 applications which weren't really running in order to turn off location services icon. I think it fairly safe to say this will really drain the battery. If I run something which has location services on, I have to manually kill it to turn location services off. Pain in the royal ass. Also, the damn screen is making me dizzy with motion sickness.

And the calendar does suck.

If that is the case then I will not be updating my iPad. I can't imagine why they would force you to close apps before turning off the location services. Android allows you to do it while you are using GPS navigation!

My wife has officially gone to Android due to the upgrade to iOS7, she disliked it that much. I am not stuck with her 4s until I get a new phone.

Unfortunately my iPad was updated last night. I told it to download the update but I didn't realize it would install it without my interaction. I wish they had fixed the maps application. It is inaccurate in terms of business and restaurants for my location.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
If that is the case then I will not be updating my iPad. I can't imagine why they would force you to close apps before turning off the location services. Android allows you to do it while you are using GPS navigation!

My wife has officially gone to Android due to the upgrade to iOS7, she disliked it that much. I am not stuck with her 4s until I get a new phone.

You can disable it app by app but not all apps are listed (even some updated for iIOS7).

You can turn that all off but they have made FindFriends not work right unless you turn it on. Some option.

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk - now Free

Jimr

Apr 12, 2013
You can turn that all off but they have made FindFriends not work right unless you turn it on. Some option.

That doesn't make sense. You should be able to find others without your location being known. It is their location that matters.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
That doesn't make sense. You should be able to find others without your location being known. It is their location that matters.

I think I can find friends but unlike in iOS6, they can no longer find me.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Turned it back on and it seems to be ok now. Will monitor. Could have been just a initializer Iondale United Church thing where I didn't give it enough time.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I noticed this weekend on iOS6 that the AppStore would always said it had 1-10 updates but nothing would be there. Now I am getting wrong number of mails notifications. It told me 11 but only had 7. Once I cleared the 7 the alert cleared.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Starting to get used to it. Having issues with Slacker (not surprising). It works ok and looks all nice and pretty but the middle pause button on my headphones is being ignored by Slacker. I confirmed it works on the iPhone music program.

I notice that neither the music app or Slacker has a little play icon in the top bar. I miss this.

ETA: Slacker also ignores input from control panel.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Dislike there is no (N) indicator any more on how many unread on top of mail box.
Dislike that there is no green or blue button on text messages indicating whether it will be an iMessage or regular text. I know it says it in the box but I liked the quick colour reference.
Like that I can unlock without jumping to the alerting app.
Like meme's suggestions on making the whole experience less nauseating.

In the end it will probably be ok but its just change for the sake of change. No big winner for me.

ETA: Once you start typing the "Send" word changes colour. Not as clear and you have to type at least 1 character.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Also they still did not fix the DoNotDisturb to not interrupt you while on the phone. I would really like an implied DND while on the phone. Didn't happen with iOS7.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Also they still did not fix the DoNotDisturb to not interrupt you while on the phone. I would really like an implied DND while on the phone. Didn't happen with iOS7.

That's the one thing I don't like either. Nothing like getting a weather alert in your ear while you're on an important phone call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have never cared much for the calendar in iOS6 or now 7, there are third party apps that are actually nicer. The stark white background is hard on the eyes and takes a bit of getting use to, though I did get use to it in the 4 months we beta tested.

Some of the stuff I've read thus far is pretty nit-picky, but hey everyone want things to work the way they want them too, unfortunately Apple sucks when it comes to giving options.

Totally agree with you guys on the DND while on the phone that is very annoying and this was addressed repeatedly in the Dev forums during the testing, but it always just got ignored. Apparently the Apple head honcho's don't mind their iPhone dinging and/or beeping in their ears.

I had a staff meeting today and overall the consensus seems to be pretty positive for iOS7. I like it, it works just fine for what I do day in and day out.

Oh and the iPhone 5S finger sensor worked very darn well. Josh my son let me take a shot at it and it certainly does save time having to type in a passcode and/or password when making purchases. NICE! NO MM and IRBS I am not buying and iPhone 5S, but I am buying an iPad Mini Retina! LOL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Oh and the iPhone 5S finger sensor worked very darn well. Josh my son let me take a shot at it and it certainly does save time having to type in a passcode and/or password when making purchases. NICE! NO MM and IRBS I am not buying and iPhone 5S, but I am buying an iPad Mini Retina! LOL

Sure DAB, sure. Whatever you say.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Control Center I believe. I have a 4S which doesn't have that option.

I would like to make it available to one contact group not all my contacts. No option for that. I turned it off.

Why can't the 4S do it? I don't think there was anything special with the 5 which allowed it was there?

Or is this just a penalty from Apple for not upgrading fast enough?

Also, I thought Control Centre was a collection of settings found elsewhere? This only exists there?

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Where is AirDrop? I don't see any setting for it. I see a brief mention in the ControlPannel but nothing in settings.
Control Center I believe. I have a 4S which doesn't have that option.
From any screen- swipe the bottom of screen up and you'll see this.

BVCa5ezCUAA20cr.png

Probably my favorite new feature. On the top row you have quick access to: Turn on or off Airplane mode, Wifi, Blutooth, Do not disturb, Portrait Orentation Lock

On the bottom row, you have:Flashlight, Timer(World Clock, Alarm, Stopwatch) & Camera!

In the middle, you can control your screen brightness and music functions.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I would like to make it available to one contact group not all my contacts. No option for that. I turned it off.

Why can't the 4S do it? I don't think there was anything special with the 5 which allowed it was there?

Or is this just a penalty from Apple for not upgrading fast enough?

Also, I thought Control Centre was a collection of settings found elsewhere? This only exists there?

the 4S can't do Panorama Wallpaper either, even though it was working in the beta, for me anyway. I will upgrade at some point, but I let my father use my upgrade for the Nokia Lumia 1020 (nice phone, btw) so it'll be a while for me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
From any screen- swipe the bottom of screen up and you'll see this.

BVCa5ezCUAA20cr.png

Probably my favorite new feature. On the top row you have quick access to: Turn on or off Airplane mode, Wifi, Blutooth, Do not disturb, Portrait Orentation Lock

On the bottom row, you have:Flashlight, Timer(World Clock, Alarm, Stopwatch) & Camera!

In the middle, you can control your screen brightness and music functions.

It is nice to have the option to turn on the flashlight without fumbling to find an app. Plus have all the on/off features for Bluetooth, Wifi, Do Not Disturb, Rotation Lock and Airplane Mode.