iPad 3

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Supposedly the iPad 3 will be released in couple more weeks, around Wed, March 7th? Here are some of the latest specs it will included:

Latest iPad 3 leaked photos suggest high-res display, camera - Yahoo! News

In three separate incidences over the weekend, insiders have leaked iPad 3 photos alluding to the design and purported parts for the soon-to-be-released tablet. Here’s a look at the shots, where they came from, and what they tell us.

8-megapixel camera

The first of three leaks published on Chinese blog, Apple Daily, displays a side-by-side comparison of the iPad’s shells from its first to third generation. The purported iPad 3 in the comparison displays a noticeable difference in the circumference of the rear-facing camera, assumed to be making space for an 8-megapixel camera. The case’s design itself, while exhibiting little difference from its second-generation predecessor as we’ve expected, may come with a noticeably beveled edge, likely in an effort to fit in a larger battery. We should expect the iPad 3 to trump the 10-hour battery life on its predecessor.

Dual-core A5X

A second leaked photo that sprang up on the Chinese site, WeiPhone, suggests that the iPad 3’s processor will be a quicker dual-core A5X, an upgrade from the dual-core A5, which can be clocked up to 1GHz and debuted in the iPad 2. The news of the A5X may come as a disappointment for those who were expecting the newer A6 quad-core processor. But all hope isn’t lost. According to MacRumors, the A5X processor was created in November 2011, which could very well mean that Apple disguised the A6 as an A5X to prevent a leak such as this. The second possibility: The A5X was a mere stand-in prototype, because Apple is known to create multiple prototypes before finalizing the specifications.

9.7-inch display

Finally, a leak by yet another Chinese blog, App.wepost.me, offers a glimpse at purported iPad 3 displays packaged to be shipped out. The forum confirms a 9.7-inch, high-resolution 2048 x 1536 Retina Display, but also includes a “dual LED display.†Samsung’s manufacturer, Radiant Opto-Electronics factory in Wujiang, China, is reported to be the supplier and will be shipping out the product to Samsung in South Korea.

With the iPad 3 anticipated March 7 unveiling quickly approaching, everything we’ve been expecting in the iPad 3 remains for the most part, unchanged.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I was already to buy the iPad 2 before I heard this news and changed course to buy a 4S instead. The 3 sounds like it should be an improvement display-wise. Or if the other rumors are true (and history holds) I could probably get an iPad 2 for cheaper.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I doubt, if I will upgrade from the 2 to the 3. But I wouldn't mind having more memory and possibly 3G access?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Eh, I use my phone and laptop a lot for that kind of thing. I would use the wifi more than the 3G since wifi is everywhere I'm at (school, home and even the hospital I volunteer at has wifi). And starbucks are on every corner of this town if one of those doesn't work.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
I use my phone a lot as well, I was going to buy a new laptop. But since I use my iPad so much, it basically replaced my 5 year old laptop which I was able to sell to an friend. But an 16GB iPad is really not enough space for me, so I would really like to upgrade, but yea wifi is just about everywhere. But some places I been to, I can't access there wifi, because it password protected. So 3G access would would fix that issue for me.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I don't know if it would replace my laptop, but I would leave it at home a lot more and use it as a pseudo-desktop computer. That would be nice.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
My iPad replaced my netbook. I used to take the netbook to work every day. Now it sits in the tv room all the time. I use it when I just have to have a keyboard. The iPad does everything else.

And I just checked - I've only used about 9GB on my 64GB iPad. I keep most of my data on the net.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I've been thinking of getting one but the only time I use my iPad anymore is when I travel or for TV when I'm on our elliptical. Now that it's getting warmer I'll be outside running so that will take away about 75% of the use time. I guess I'd use it more if I kept it downstairs rather then the exercise room.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I see iPads all over the place on campus, to the point where they're almost replacing laptops for note taking and homework. And a lot of the same things I use on my MBP are available on the iPad (Dropbox, Evernote, Pages, etc.)

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
I was in Sears yesterday and they are starting to use them to check-out customers. The employee told me they are the trial store. Granted the guy that was helping me couldn't get it to work because he didn't understand how to scan the barcode. I didn't care enough to help him so I let him give up and use the register.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Don't have an IPAD but I'll be watching closely to see if this is really an upgrade or just a slightly better version with a higher resolution screen.

I still prefer android over IOS but that is just a personal preference. Also, I have a tablet that, much like the posters above, use less and less now. Granted, it is 1.5 years old (a relic in tablet world) and is running (wait for it, wait for it) Android 2.2 but I really use it more as a reader or for light web browsing.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My iPad replaced my netbook. I used to take the netbook to work every day. Now it sits in the tv room all the time. I use it when I just have to have a keyboard. The iPad does everything else.

And I just checked - I've only used about 9GB on my 64GB iPad. I keep most of my data on the net.

I saw an old PM here use a keyboard attatchment to his iPad. No need for any netbook with that.

An iPad is on my wish list. Maybe if I win the lottery.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I saw an old PM here use a keyboard attatchment to his iPad. No need for any netbook with that.

An iPad is on my wish list. Maybe if I win the lottery.

The number of times I absolutely have to have a keyboard is so small that it doesn't justify the expense. The iPad 2 does everything I need 99% of the time.

I saw a leaked photo of the 2 on top of the 3, purporting to show how much thicker the 3 is going to be. If it's noticeably thicker, I'll most likely skip it. The thinness of the 2 is a major selling point for me. I would like it to be even thinner.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
The number of times I absolutely have to have a keyboard is so small that it doesn't justify the expense. The iPad 2 does everything I need 99% of the time.

I saw a leaked photo of the 2 on top of the 3, purporting to show how much thicker the 3 is going to be. If it's noticeably thicker, I'll most likely skip it. The thinness of the 2 is a major selling point for me. I would like it to be even thinner.

If it's going to be a bigger camera, they may need the thickness to compensate. But who knows. This time last year we had a good idea we'd have the iPhone 5 by now and it'd be a lot slimmer than the previous model, wrong on that front.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Was going to make it's own thread, but this is already here....

Apple has begun to send out invitations for a special media event on Wednesday, March 7 at 10am PST. The event will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, where both the original iPad and iPad 2 were announced in 2010 and 2011, respectively. The company did not specify what this year's event will be about, but given the invitation pictured above, it's a near given that Apple will unveil the next-generation iPad.

The date comes as no surprise—rumors have been swirling for some time now that Apple planned for the first week of March for an iPad 3 announcement. As for what to expect, the rumor mill has been all over the map, pointing to upgraded cameras, a possible quad-core processor, 4G/LTE support, and of course, a high-resolution "retina" class display like that of the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Apple announces March 7 event, likely iPad 3 announcement

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
The curious case of the missing iPad 3 home button - Yahoo! News

homebuttonipad_610x500.png

Eagle-eyed readers have been pointing out a curious omission on the imagery of Apple's iPad-themed invite that went out this morning: there's no home button in sight. The simplest explanation here is that it's a photo of (what is presumably) an iPad 2 on its side, something that's not that much of a stretch given that the iPad's been designed to work the same no matter which end is down.

Yet it's also curious given rumors of Apple ditching the home button on the iPad, an option that came to light when the company introduced multi-touch gestures to developers in iOS 4.3, and later as a feature for users in iOS 5. One of those is a full hand pinch that brings users back to the iPad's home screen, just like what would happen if you clicked on the home button.

Readers might be scratching their heads at the familiarity of this all, though. Two months before Apple took the wraps off the iPad 2, there was a story coming from Boy Genius Report saying that Apple's next iPad would be the first iOS gadget to ditch the home button for gestures, with others like the iPhone and iPod Touch to follow. That didn't happen though.

The case for phasing out a home button has become less clear though. It's a pivotal part of using Siri on the iPhone 4S, and if Siri makes its way to other iOS devices (including future iPads), it would be unusual to get rid of it. Apple has also kept the multi-touch gesture feature something that is optional, specifically to keep games and applications that make use of multi-finger gestures from being broken by the system.

On top of all this, there were also those mysterious iPad 3 home buttons that made the rounds late last year, alongside what was alleged to be the glass front of the device, which--yep--had a spot for the home button.

One thing's for sure. We'll know the full story next week, when Apple's event goes down.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'm with you IRBS. Something will come up and he'll get one. Someone will offer to buy his 2, he'll find a deal or someone will fine him a gift card, or he'll give his 2 to his son or something. There will be a ........circumstance ........

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk