iPad Maxi

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Size Comparison of a 12.9-Inch iPad with Smaller iPad Models and 13-Inch MacBook Air

Back in May, Korean site ETNews.com reported that Apple was looking at the possibility of launching a 12.9-inch iPad in early 2014 as a larger sibling to the original 9.7-inch iPad and the 7.9-inch iPad mini. The rumor, which included a claim that the device would be called the "iPad Maxi", was quickly brushed aside as a likely inaccurate claim, but late last month The Wall Street Journal brought fresh attention to the rumor with its own claims about Apple testing an iPad with a display "slightly less than 13 inches diagonally".

With the rumors sparking interest in what Apple might be able to do with a significantly larger iPad display, we commissioned CiccareseDesign to create renderings of what such a device might look like compared to the current iPad mini and iPad models, as well as the rumored fifth-generation iPad, which has been claimed to be adopting some of the iPad mini's styling with narrower side bezels.

12_9_ipad_ipad_4_mini_light-800x450.jpg

12.9-inch iPad (left) with fourth-generation iPad (right) and iPad mini (bottom)

ncreasing the diagonal measurement of the iPad's display from 9.7 inches to 12.9 inches while maintaining the same 4:3 aspect ratio yields a substantial increase in display area of about 40%, leading us to believe that Apple will not simply scale up the existing iPad resolution to the larger screen size. Doing so would reduce pixel density from the 132 pixels per inch (ppi) or 264 ppi Retina on the current iPad to approximately 99 ppi (198 ppi Retina), making icons and other interface elements extremely large.

If Apple were, however, to maintain the same 132/264 ppi of the current 9.7-inch iPad, this 12.9-inch iPad could conveniently carry an increased resolution of approximately 1366 x 1024 (2712 x 2048 Retina), matching the "HD" display standard in width and exceeding it in height.

12_9_ipad_ipads_dark-800x450.jpg

Speculating that Apple could take this approach with a larger iPad, even though it would necessitate additional work by developers to support the new resolution, we have rendered our 12.9-inch iPad at this higher resolution that maintains the pixel density of the current iPad. Doing so would allow the home screen to display at least one additional row of app icons with some increased spacing, and perhaps even more if spacing were reduced slightly.

Taking things even further, if Apple were to approach the pixel density of the iPad mini's display on this larger iPad, it could offer an even higher resolution of 1600 x 1200 (3200 x 2400 Retina) or 1680 x 1260 (3360 x 2520 Retina) on a display offering twice the area of the iPad mini's display.

12_9_ipad_macbook_air-800x450.jpg

For comparison purposes, we've also rendered this 12.9-inch iPad next to a 13-inch MacBook Air, illustrating how the two devices with nearly identical screen sizes would compare physically. With a higher resolution than the current full-size iPad, the 12.9-inch iPad could be positioned as an even more feasible option to Apple's Mac notebooks for some users.

Apple is expected to launch the fifth-generation iPad within in the September-October timeframe, with an updated iPad mini reportedly carrying a Retina display and following relatively shortly thereafter. The original Korean report suggested that Apple's 12.9-inch iPad could launch early next year, but The Wall Street Journal's more recent report did not include a timeframe and in fact simply noted that Apple has been testing prototypes of the device and that it may ultimately never make it to market.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
It's getting like the 3 Bears at Apple. Daddy Bear, Mama Bear and Baby Bear, well up that would be iPad Max, iPad and iPad Mini LOL

I can't imagine anyone wanted to carry about the Max, but I guess stranger things have happened. Me, I'd prefer them to get off their collective Apple asses and give us a decent bump in specs and a retina display on the iPad Mini. I LOVE the iPad Mini the size is just perfect for every day use and taking it with you on the roll.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Seems cool but I believe the iPad is going to need bluetooth mouse support. Forgive me if it already does but I haven't been able to find a mouse that will work with the iPad. It would be great if I could just plug the iPad into the TV and just use my keyboard and a mouse to control it.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
That's exactly what something like this could be useful for is enterprise and IT.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
In my opinion the only way an Apple tablet would be largely adopted by enterprise for productivity is if they have their own specific iOS app or if the iPad's OS was OSX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
I know some of the dealerships around here are using iPads to sign sales contracts, among other things, so it's doable.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I know some of the dealerships around here are using iPads to sign sales contracts, among other things, so it's doable.

Yes it can be used for select things but has yet to really be fully adopted for enterprise because of the lack of productivity. That car dealer had that app made to work with the current iPad. Just as hospitals and doctors in the medical field has, but as I said it requires you to create the app to be used in that manner. I don't see a lot of document creation on the iPad by enterprise. Those that use them mainly do,so for web, mail and select in house apps. We created an app for our outreach staff that does assessments but it's very limited what you can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

puddychains

Jan 19, 2012
Dell makes a huge tablet that acts as a desktop also. My IT guy just got one. It's pretty awesome.

What I'm talking about is a Dell XPS 18. It is bad ass. Here are a couple of stock photos. If I need a new home computer, this will be what I get.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525736.666986.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525747.226011.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525756.850604.jpg

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I can't imagine anyone wanted to carry about the Max, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I'd carry around a 13.9 inch iPad. That could display a full 8.5x11 sheet of paper at full size.

I don't see what's so strange about carrying a 12.9 inch iPad. Maybe if you have little hands ...

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
It's amazing what most guys will pay for a few more inches. :whistle:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Our department bought us iPads at the university, and we've been using the hell out of them. Notes Plus, photos, PDF mark-ups, and a couple of other things besides email and web. A full feature Office program with Word and Excel is really he main thing missing.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Our department bought us iPads at the university, and we've been using the hell out of them. Notes Plus, photos, PDF mark-ups, and a couple of other things besides email and web. A full feature Office program with Word and Excel is really he main thing missing.

At my office, my boss bought about an dozen iPads for the field guys, we use it that stuff as you menstion, including email and web, but I found an app that works with Word and Excel, it cost $20 bucks but it works with all Office program, it called Quickoffice Pro HD for iPad.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I'll check that one out. Work will pay for it if we'll really use it.
I had the free version on my Droid tablet, and it worked pretty well.
If it looks like I'll get some good use of it, I may get it.
Thanks.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Hey you're welcome, it works well for our field team, whenever we have to send out an spreadsheet, it like they are using excel on their computers.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
At my office, my boss bought about an dozen iPads for the field guys, we use it that stuff as you menstion, including email and web, but I found an app that works with Word and Excel, it cost $20 bucks but it works with all Office program, it called Quickoffice Pro HD for iPad.

This works, but not very well in my opinion especially if you are using tables in word documents and if you have any kind of heavy formatting. Also using excel documents with formulas are not supported very well either.

I find this is good for basic editing ONLY! I do have access to MS Office for iOS but its only for iPhone and they have not released an iPad version, plus you are required to have an office 365 subscription, but it allows for full compatibility between desktop and iOS versions.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'd carry around a 13.9 inch iPad. That could display a full 8.5x11 sheet of paper at full size.

I don't see what's so strange about carrying a 12.9 inch iPad. Maybe if you have little hands ...

I didn't say it was strange, I just said I don't think it would be something that would sell as well as the mini and regular iPad. I also base the fact that the iPad Mini has sold so well having older hardware with a crappy display. Though Apple doesn't break down iPad sales by the size. Most analyst has said the iPad Mini has been the bulk of their sales in the last 3 quarters. So, it seems that folks are looking for smaller when it comes to iPads. Plus pricing these to maintain their current margins would make them pretty expensive.

However, with all that said if they marketed them for enterprise, they would surely sell, but I am not sure at what volume because of the current limitations to iOS.

There are people that still lug around 5 and 6lbs laptops, so lugging around larger iPad wouldn't be unusual, just not as convenient.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I use my iPad for work. I don't program on it. I have a powerful desktop with dual monitors and ergo keyboard for that. But I take it to meetings. It's perfect for taking notes, looking stuff up and even running demos of web stuff. It doesn't replace a computer, it replaces a pad of paper.