Is Microsoft Prepping a $99 Xbox 360 Bundle?

Discussion in 'Games & Consoles' started by TSS Pete, May 2, 2012.

1. TSS Pete

TSS Pete New Member

Just a rumor, as seen on IGN.com. Neat ploy, but as a lifelong gamer, I couldn't do this. I already have a hard time giving Microsoft $50 a year to play online.

Microsoft may be prepping a $99 Xbox 360 bundle to be released as early as next week. According to a report from The Verge, the bundle would include a 4GB console and a Kinect sensor and would carry a monthly subscription fee of $15.

The bundle would be available at Microsoft Stores in the United States and offer access to Xbox Live Gold "and possibly some additional streaming content from cable providers or sports package providers." The system would also include a two-year warranty.

Two years of the subscription fee in addition to the $99 console would add up to a total cost of $459. By comparison, Microsoft's current 4GB Kinect bundle is available for $299, and two years of Xbox Live costs $120. The report adds that an early termination fee will be required for customers who wish to cancel the subscription before two years have elapsed.

For now, this is only a rumor, and we've reached out to Microsoft for comment. If the new bundle does prove to be real, it's likely a lead up to Microsoft's E3 announcements, which are said to include a new music service but not a new console.

Would you buy a $99 Xbox 360 with a subscription fee?
  2. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

No, no I would not.

Wii is free.
  3. TSSMario

TSSMario New Member

I would never buy the 4gb model myself. Too much DLC and game data stored so I'd just have to buy a new hard drive anyway.

I think even for the most casual player it's somewhat of a stretch to tie them down to a version that lets you instant play one or two game discs at a time and keeps you on the 360 XBL service after the eventual release of the 720 and the inevitable increase in monthly fees. They could have found a more creative way to blow out their base model 360 stock before it becomes worthless.

At this point in the console gen, I'm more than happy that I went with a PS3.
  4. TSS Pete

TSS Pete New Member

Yeah, I'm a Playstation fanboy, but I have both systems. I ended up getting a 250 GB drive for my 360 because there's too much DLC and Live games that filled up mu old hard drive.

Microsoft is smart though. Here's a system for $99, but read the fine print. Most people don't read the fine print.
  5. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

I'm still satisfied with my PS3 and Wii, I'll pass.
  6. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

I can see the advantage of a 4gb if your playing games only. Is the larger HD advantageous for demos, DLC and other stored media as well? Being new to the Xbox stuff how much do users around here download extra content. Is it like an electronic expansion pack to a popular game, patch or update?
  7. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

I'll ask a different question here about deciphering which developers and/or companies purposely sell 80% of a game up front and milk consumers via DLC's versus games with performance enhancing DLC at little or no extra cost.

Just read a Gamestop article on the amounts of in store purchased DLC for popular titles:

Gears of War 3: 10 percent
    Batman: Arkham City: 16 percent
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3: 17 percent
    Mass Effect 3: 50 percent
    Borderlands 2: 20 percent
    Assassin's Creed III: 10 percent
    Halo 4: 13 percent

Can anyone pick out which games were purposely underdeveloped and which ones were greatly improved with additional versions?