Is Siriusxm Worth Subscribing Again?

Is SiriusXM worth subscribing again?

• Total voters

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I don't think it's any different. I don't find it that bad. Perhaps newer radios are better at compensating for it.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk
When I heard it last there was nothing a receiver could do to fix the sound. It was psychoacoustic lossy compression run amok. Once information has been discarded it is gone forever.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Sound quality isn't all that bad for broadcast.
My car isn't a super quiet ride, and my desktop speakers at work aren't really high fidelity either.
I listen through a Bang & Olufsen desktop stereo at home, and the compression isn't too obnoxious.

If I want higher sound quality, I'll switch over to my CD's or MP3s.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I had it for about six months. 3-months of that on a free trial when I bought my car.

The sound quality through the factory head unit wasn't horrible, it was more audible than the FM signal which for some reason is very muted.

The channels I listened to most were Classic Rewind/Vinyl, Spectrum, Outlaw Country, Willie's Roadhouse, the Dave Matthews Channel (RIP) The Alternative Channels (First Wave, XMU, etc) and Real Jazz, and all sounded good. While I don't have it anymore for various reasons, I will likely re-up at some point in the future, just not at $25 a month. Maybe after football season when their promos aren't clogging up the airwaves.

Recently I moved to what is essentially the middle of nowhere radio format-wise where your stations play Active Rock, Country, Country, and oh yeah, Country (and not even the kind of country I listen to!). Not to mention the fact that every station seemingly goes to commercial at the same time. That to me is the reason to come back at some point.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I'm not asking about signal strength, but quality. The digital, lossy compression on music channels was egregious when I last heard Sirius XM.
Try the app. I listen via the app almost daily. I think the sound quality is just fine

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
I have had satellite radio in one form or another for the past 16 years. I would say itsi worth it if you can get a discount. Maybe not so much if you don't, unless you car write off the cost, or get it subsidized.

When I'm not listening to Sirius XM, I'm listening to public radio. I found I enjoy listening to Minnesota Public Radio. Even when I'm not in the state, I will listen to an hour or two of Morning Edition and All Things Considered.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I'm not asking about signal strength, but quality. The digital, lossy compression on music channels was egregious when I last heard Sirius XM.
I think I know what you're getting at. They seem to have added channels and content (because of combining Sirius and XM programming), and the result was less bandwidth for each channel. I used to really notice the difference when I played a portable satellite unit through one of my home sound systems.

Now, the only satellite receiver I listen to, is the one in our Tacoma truck. That's a mediocre sound system to begin with, and the satellite channels sound fine compared with FM. Everywhere else - both at home and in my car - I only listen to the streaming service, which gives you a choice of 3 levels of streaming quality. I use the basic level for my car, and the higher level at home (when it's on wifi), and they all sound good. There's no smearing, or comb filtering, or fading. The highs are there, and the bass is punchy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Actually mine does show pictures, but I have only seen it for Apple Music. I'll take a pic of that later.

Kinda weird I can get Stern on the app, but not in my car.

You probably have an XM radio.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
I was listening to SXM app and all the sudden the signal got cut off. I deleted the app and re-downloaded it and I receive a pop up your free trial is up? So whatever, I simply logged in and put in my VIN # and now I have a 3-month free trial for all-access.

When the trial is up in February, that when I'll sign up for the $30/6 month deal if it doesn't end by then. Either way I'll keep an eye out on that deal. But at least I can save all the channels on the app now which I want to listen and now I have access to Stern in the car.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
So what does SiriusXM select usually cost? I see the 6 months for $30, but I'd rather not revert back to $25 a month after that's over. I don't necessarily need streaming along with my subscription. And really don't need but a few talk channels, and none of the sports channels.

Wolf

Jewbacca
Oct 11, 2008
Utopia
www.wolfyre13.com
So what does SiriusXM select usually cost? I see the 6 months for $30, but I'd rather not revert back to $25 a month after that's over. I don't necessarily need streaming along with my subscription. And really don't need but a few talk channels, and none of the sports channels.
When I put in my info, I mainly see XM stuff. But the SiriusXM and XM is the exact same prices. But I see XM gets less channels like Select has 140+ and All-Access has 150+ looks like they don't include some of the talk, sports channels which I can careless about.

SiriusXM Mostly Music - $10.99 = 80+ channels and streaming is $5 extra

SiriusXM Select - $15.99 = 165+ channels doesn't include streaming, Stern, NFL

SiriusXM All-Access = $20.99 = 175+ channels, includes everything

Streaming only

Streaming add-on - $5

SXM Premier - $15.99 = 200+ channels, includes everything

The SXM Premier would be the cheapest plan for me, but I would have to control everything from my phone via bluetooth into my car. But I rather pay $5 more bucks for the All-Access plan.

If I didn't listen to Stern, then the Mostly Music plan would work out for me. I might be dumping Apple Music down the road, when the $30/6 month plan is over.