It's offical, I'm dumping pay TV.

goreds2

Oct 14, 2008
OH H.....EYE OH
Time Warner Did Not Air THe Reds Game.

I am not dumping pay TV but this happened tonight.

The Reds game was not on any of the alternate Fox Sports Ohio channels in my Time Warner cable area because they messed up when the Blue Jackets were aired. I called the retention department calmly and they have taken $10 off each monthly billing cycle for the next 12 months.

I guess for $120, I will listen on the radio tonight. I usually do anyway as I sync it up to the TV.

They are on XM187.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I think first paycheck I'll be getting the MLB 11 iPhone app like I do every year (Home and Away broadcasts). Baseball isn't really a TV sport for me. It's either the radio or in person.

I finally canceled my DirecTV subscription yesterday. Everything I watch (about 3 actual shows including Jeopardy and MLB/NFL/NHL) is available free, or through their own subscription package. I havent had an actual reason to have sat TV for about 2 years now.

$936 a year saved.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I finally canceled my DirecTV subscription yesterday. Everything I watch (about 3 actual shows including Jeopardy and MLB/NFL/NHL) is available free, or through their own subscription package. I havent had an actual reason to have sat TV for about 2 years now.

$936 a year saved.
:bigthumbup:

That's right around what I'm saving. $80 * 12 = $960. I really only watch 4 shows, one of which is on Network TV (Big Bang Theory) and the Discovery Network shows (Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch, Dirty Jobs, in that order.) All of which are available on Apple TV when I do finally get it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've been using just basic cable for my local broadcast and high speed internet, plus Netflix for $7.99 per month streaming on my Apple TV. This is a perfect setup and I am saving about $65 per month.

My only issue will be college and NFL football (if we have a season this year). I find nothing even comparable in terms of streaming. If Apple could sign a deal with NFL to stream NFL games via Apple TV, I'd pay for that in a heartbeat!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
Just thought I'd throw in an update on the new Apple TV which I've had for about a month now. It's great! Netflix works nicely, there's not the download lag on the Apple content that you had with the old generation TV, and the picture quality is good. HD is about 720p. There is word of an update coming down the pike that will be able to play 1080p movies, but I'm not sure if that requires a new device or not. Hopefully not, but it's not going to break the bank if it does since it's only $99, a dramatic improvement over the old $500 price tag for the 1st generation model (which was a piece of shit, and a major disappointment.)

What makes me happy is the addition of MLB.TV to the device, I have had a 10-day free trial from voting on the ASG, and am pretty impressed with it. Might not be able to get the rest of the season this year, but I'll definitely pony up when Spring Training comes around. It also has the NBA League Pass Broadband (IF there is a season this year.) And numerous podcasts, a majority of which are in HD, plus Youtube, and your iTunes library plus Internet Radio for your music listening pleasure. If what they're saying is true when iOS 5 gets here, it's going to make it that much better.

kingchuck69

Joker! Joker! Joker!
Oct 11, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
chuck69.com
Effective tomorrow, I'm joining the cableless crowd.

With my workplace not giving me enough hours and my finances taking a nosedive since my car accident last year, I've decided that it was time to ditch my $90/mo. Dish Network. There's enough on the OTA channels that'll keep me happy, and since some of my favorite shows are already on the web - even on YouTube - my checkbook will be a little happier. :)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I know this is an old thread so bear with me. Just read another article about ala carte. Pirate Bay is floating copies of new episodes in as little as three hours after they air sans ads. ESPN charges providers 4.65 per subscriber per month and HBO 7.

It prompted me to wonder How much I'd pay for ala carte if their was a three tiered plan with the premium channels at 7.50, top ten other channels like ESPN, AMC, Discovery, History, and Nat Geo at 5 and the rest at 2.50.

Would you pony up for a pay-per-view format for specific sporting events such as your team's NFL game each week?

I like Roku CEO Steve Shannon's idea that all tv programs will be a streamed in 10-15 years.

What would your price be for the movies, best of and rest of on a monthly basis?

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I know this is an old thread so bear with me. Just read another article about ala carte. Pirate Bay is floating copies of new episodes in as little as three hours after they air sans ads. ESPN charges providers 4.65 per subscriber per month and HBO 7.

It prompted me to wonder How much I'd pay for ala carte if their was a three tiered plan with the premium channels at 7.50, top ten other channels like ESPN, AMC, Discovery, History, and Nat Geo at 5 and the rest at 2.50.

Would you pony up for a pay-per-view format for specific sporting events such as your team's NFL game each week?

I like Roku CEO Steve Shannon's idea that all tv programs will be a streamed in 10-15 years.

What would your price be for the movies, best of and rest of on a monthly basis?
I don't think I'd do PPV for sports. I'd just quit watching sports.

With Netflix being $7.99 a month for streaming, and apple TV has on demand movies for $3.99 and TV shows for anywhere between $19 and $49 a season. Even if I buy a half a dozen shows at those prices, it's still cheaper than a cable bill. There's nothing in sports that's worth paying for to me.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I'd pay $1 to watch a movie. I'd pay $10 for a season of something I like a lot, $5 for a season of something I like a little.

Of course, I pay over $200/month for me and my family to watch everything we want, but if you broke it down I'd probably balk at how much I pay per show.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I'd pay $1 to watch a movie. I'd pay $10 for a season of something I like a lot, $5 for a season of something I like a little.

Of course, I pay over $200/month for me and my family to watch everything we want, but if you broke it down I'd probably balk at how much I pay per show.
Or the fact that you're paying big money for a channel you don't even watch (that being ESPN). If they ever DID go al a carte ESPN would be SCREWED!

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Or the fact that you're paying big money for a channel you don't even watch (that being ESPN). If they ever DID go al a carte ESPN would be SCREWED!
That may be why conglomerates like Disney-ABC-ESPN are hedging their bets for a time where only the largest will survive the plug pulling of the future. A previous article mention the ala carte complexities involved with companies like GE and Time Warner who own multiple popular channels. If Intel can establish a successful foothold in this area others will stick their feet in the door til somebody kicks it down.

I'm schooling my son on the types of advertising on different channels at different times of the day to give him a perspective on what applies to baby boomers (news programs), alcohol & cars (sporting events) and consumer goods (chick flicks, Bravo, Lifetime).

It leaves me wondering how companies will reach the millennial generation(s) after they wean themselves from streamed Saturday morning cartoons on their Google/Apple/Roku boxes. My guess is the next wave of millionaires will be successful mobile marketing moguls whose brands and techniques stuck in the minds of short attention spanned 18-34's.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I have to keep pay TV for sports. My wife and i attend all the Ohio State home football games but we need pay TV for the away games. Plus there is nothing like the fall and college football. We come home from The Shoe and watch college football all night. Plus Walking Dead is the best show on TV! I know you can get it through iTunes and Amazon but we like watching it day of. It's like an event every Sunday.

I understand that people are pissed they have to pay some $5 a month for ESPN when they don't watch sports. You have to look at it like this..... we all subsidize each others channels. I haven't watched MTV in over 10 some years but we pay for it. It's like that for all of us. There are so many channels I'm sure none of us watch but we pay for them. I give ESPN credit they provide lots of content. It's not like they raise their rates and don't provide content. They have almost all the bowl games and now the college football playoffs. I know not everyone cares about that but I'm sure there is lots of things you guys watch that others could care less.

I would love to cut the cord but my wife and I are addicted to our two Dish Hoppers. There is no better DVR or way to watch TV and record it. I guess we don't mind paying $90 a month when Dish and the Hopper makes it's so damn convenient.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I don't want to subsidize other people's channels. If ESPN or MTV goes under because I don't pay for it, so be it. Apple TV has MLB.TV for the Red Sox, that's about all I need. Between the 2-5 shows I watch which all premiere at different times of year, and the $3.99 rental charge for one HD movie a week it's still a lot lower than cable, and I don't have to put up with reality crap or a bunch of other sports content I don't care about. I've never understood why we needed 24-hour networks for all the four major sports. There's only so much content you can put on those type of channels before THEY start showing reality crap, too.

To me buying a show on Apple TV is like buying a good song off an otherwise lousy album, if I only like the song why would I pay full price for the album? Give Me Doctor Who, Top Gear (UK) and Mythbusters and I'm happy.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't want to subsidize other people's channels. If ESPN or MTV goes under because I don't pay for it, so be it. Apple TV has MLB.TV for the Red Sox, that's about all I need. Between the 2-5 shows I watch which all premiere at different times of year, and the $3.99 rental charge for one HD movie a week it's still a lot lower than cable, and I don't have to put up with reality crap or a bunch of other sports content I don't care about. I've never understood why we needed 24-hour networks for all the four major sports. There's only so much content you can put on those type of channels before THEY start showing reality crap, too.
If Apple TV had all the college football games on there I would really consider cutting the cord. It's not like we don't want to. I'm not a reality fan either so I'm with you on that. I just wish there was a way for us to do it. Plus it's hard to do when your wife watches shows you don't and vice versa. Not to mention when our daughter gets older and starts really watching TV.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
If we stopped subsidizing each others' channels the price of sports programming would skyrocket. That $5/month would be $30/month if ESPN was à la carte.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
If we stopped subsidizing each others' channels the price of sports programming would skyrocket. That $5/month would be $30/month if ESPN was à la carte.
Which is exactly why I say ESPN would be out of luck since nobody wants to pay $30 a month for their content.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Which is exactly why I say ESPN would be out of luck since nobody wants to pay $30 a month for their content.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
If no one would pay it the price would drop. This country is packed with sports addicts.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
If we stopped subsidizing channels it would be game over for a lot of channels including Discovery, History, Animal Planet and so on. ESPN gets their cash and probably always will because their ratings are huge. Compared to a lot of other channels ESPN blows them away. There is a site called tvbythenumbers.com check it out some time.

Cable channels are really rising in the ratings but only certain ones and ESPN is one of those. I hate that I have to have pay TV to get them but what can you do? If and when it gets to a point were our family can't afford it I will drop it. As of right now we can afford it and it provides us with enough convenience and entertainment to justify the cost.

Jon I don't mean to prey but are you married or have kids? It's a whole new ballgame when you are. I do applaud the way you dropped cable though.