Jimmie Johnson not an athlete?

Discussion in 'NASCAR' started by Andrew8468, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

We've been over this many times. Regardless of what Doneoven says, Jimmie is an athlete.

I just hope they don't try & convince him otherwise. I don't want to see a washed up quarterback in a race car, trying to go 180 into turn one at CMS :(
  3. Andrew8468

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkKKMI9laIU]Denny Hamlin Sport Sciences ESPN - YouTube[/ame]
  4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Yeah. Nothing you can say will ever convince some people. Just let them think what they want & don't bother talking with them :right:
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

No. Not an athlete.
  6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Just like you're not really a nurse :)
  7. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Race car drivers are athletes like professional bowlers are athletes.;)
  8. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Hey, you can't drink & race like you can drink & bowl. Or Golf :)
  9. Andrew8468

So if racers aren't athletes, what are they?
  10. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

They're high velocity commuters :)
  11. blyons200

They are race car drivers.

Semi drives 10 hours a day, he must be like Joe Montana.
  12. Andrew8468

You really think driving an air conditioned sedan down an empty highway at 70 mph is the same thing as being in a 130F hotbox at a 36 degree angle with cars 2 inches away running 200 mph for 4 hours?
  13. blyons200

You've never driven in Dallas rush hour in July with a broken air conditioner! I have, doesn't make me an athlete.

Never said it was easy to drive a racecar, but it's not an athletic activity.
  14. Jimr

Jimr Member

I agree with this. What they do requires physical and mental toughness but it doesn't mean they are athletes. Of course there are drivers that are athletes but not all drivers are athletes.
  15. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

So they sweat, that doesn't make them athletes. Obese Truckers sweat all the time, they're definitely not athletes. I consider myself in pretty good shape, that doesn't mean I could join the NFL tomorrow.
  16. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

From Merriam-Webster Search for iPhone

Also ...

are race car drivers athletes - Google Search

You get quite a debate on the subject, including the comments from Ronald McNabb :right:

You have to have some athleticism when piloting a race car on a track. A lot more than someone like me, who can drive 500 miles daily ...

It's not like these guy are driving around with one finger on the steering wheel & the other resting on the gear shifter (that's what I do :)).

These guys (and gals) are strapped into a 3000lbs car that can go 200 MPH. Most tracks are bumpy & toss the car around worse than an Indiana interstate ...

G-forces push a driver right (or right & left on a road course).

Can anyone do it? I'm sure most people can at lower speeds, but very few can do it at the speeds they do it at. For hours at a time.

Even the most out of shape NASCAR driver (Tony Stewart), has to be athletic to a point.

Danica Patrick might not be the strongest driver, and the cars might be easier to drive than cars they raced 30 years ago, but even she needs to be athletic to race in NASCAR :)
  17. Andrew8468

Dude. Really? I've heard of comparing apples to oranges but you are comparing apples to kale.
  18. blyons200

Driving 70-80 mph in 4 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic is pretty demanding. Especially since most of those people don't have good driving skills in the first place.
  19. Andrew8468

Congrats to the non-athletic Jimmie Johnson who has now won his 6th championship in 8 years.
  20. Andrew8468