Jon's Top 100

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Yes, ol' Jon boy is getting into the act.

This is the absolute, definitive, no-doubt list of my top 100 songs of all time. The songs that are the best of the best (as far as I'm concerned anyway) and really float my boat. I will be presenting these two at a time more often than not, some days I'll decide to do more if I'm in the mood. But the standard will be two at a time.

Some of these are in my other favorites thread (which will still be active as I find new stuff) and some are new to this thread, although still high up on the list. And you'll see a varied list of genres as well as songs (remember I'm the country fan around these parts!)

Starting with the first two..........

#100 - Give me one reason - Tracy Chapman

One of those songs that really resonated with me on first listen, and one I've been meaning to learn on guitar at some point (Hecticart, I've still got your chord progression you sent me on this tune around here somewhere, I'll have to get on that).

#99 - Broken Hearted Savior - Big Head Todd and the Monsters

One of those local bands that if you're from Colorado you knew about these guys LONG before they got big.

The slow beat, the tone of the guitars, and that solo! And of course I think it's mandatory to post a performance from Red Rocks!

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Nice! So excited to see another fav songs thread!

Tracy Chapman has a few songs I like a lot, but I've never gotten into that one though. Just didn't bite me.

I've loved BHT&M "Please Don't Tell Her" and "Bittersweet" for years but for whatever reason haven't looked past those two. This one is great as well! And these guys are perfection live. I haven't seen them, but any time I've heard a live recording of them, it's just as good as a studio recording.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#98 - Lyle Lovett - She's No Lady

"The Preacher asked her
and she said, "I Do"
The preacher asked me,
she said, "Yes, he does too.
The preacher said, I pronounce you 99 to life.
Son, she's no lady she's your wife."

Lyle Lovett, everybody!

#97 - Cinderella - Gypsy Road

With a few exceptions, Hair Metal really wasn't my thing back in the day. But there's something about this song, and this band, that made them rise above the Trixters and Wingers of the world.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#96 - Cracker - Teen Angst (What the World Needs Now)

Because really, who doesn't love lyrics like "What the world needs now, is a new Frank Sinatra, so I can get you in bed."

#95 - Van Halen - Mean Street

Their best song from their best album. No further explanation needed.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#94 - The Call - Let The Day Begin

One of those songs that's always been at the back of my collection, but always cranked it when it came up on Shuffle mode.

#93 - Social Distortion - Ball and Chain

Mike Ness, leader of this band, has always been, like me, an unabashed Johnny Cash fan. Probably why I got into this band like I did.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
"Let The Day Begin" is sooo good! One of those uplifting make-you-wanna-smile-and-nod-and-sing-along songs. Somehow it's not on my 500+ list of songs, it probably should be.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#92 - The Replacements - I.O.U.

A band I admittedly discovered late. But saw 'Pleased to Meet Me' on sale at Sam Goody one day (remember them?) and was immediately hooked.

#91 - Dwight Yoakam - Fast As You

Beyond Nashville and the state of Texas, there was another sub-genre of Country Music that's called the Bakersfield Sound (as in California). Which brought us such luminaries as Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and this guy.

Reactions: HecticArt

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I didn't know that Replacements song but I love "Alex Chilton", "Within Your Reach" and one more that's coming up on my fav 333 of all time. Plus early Paul Westerberg solo is great!

I'm not a country fan at all, but I will say that song you posted is 50x better than what passes for contemporary country music today. I'd take that song over any of the crappy modern country I hear on everyone's Echo (Alexa) where I work! I can actually feel some talent and heart in your song.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I didn't know that Replacements song but I love "Alex Chilton", "Within Your Reach" and one more that's coming up on my fav 333 of all time. Plus early Paul Westerberg solo is great!

I'm not a country fan at all, but I will say that song you posted is 50x better than what passes for contemporary country music today. I'd take that song over any of the crappy modern country I hear on everyone's Echo (Alexa) where I work! I can actually feel some talent and heart in your song.
Oh yeah, 99 percent of the stuff that gets played on country radio nowadays is crap! One reason I still had XM a while back (and may again soon) is stuff like Outlaw Country and Willie's Roadhouse, neither of which you can find on the radio around here nowadays. There's more where that came from later. :D

Reactions: sadchild