Jon's Top 100

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#78 - Fleetwood Mac - Gold Dust Woman

I've made this point a few times before, but the miracle of this album, and how good it is, is the circumstances under which it was made, when nobody could stand to be in the same room together. And yet it still came out a masterpiece.

#77 - The Church - Under the Milky Way

Not much to dislike about this song, the lyrics match the music, and the voice matches all of it. I could easily get away with placing this even higher.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
BOTH so good!

"Gold Dust" isn't on my 500+ list, but probably should be.

I was a little late getting into the Church. First song I heard was "Metropolis" (another great one), thanks to a guy who owned at a record store. Then I went backwards and found this one. The non-LP b-side of "Metropolis" is great too ("Much Too Much").

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#76 - Melissa Etheridge - Bring me some water

There are singers who can sing like an angel, and singers who can belt out rock with the best of them. Both have a similar effect on me musically. This woman is definitely one of the latter.

#75 - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band - Get out of Denver (Live)

I usually don't gravitate toward the live version over the studio version of a particular song. This is an exception.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Two slow burn songs for today's selections....

#74 - Aimee Mann - That's Just What You Are

One in a long line of Great 'Kiss Off' songs.

#73 - The Cure - Pictures of You

The song, and album, that got me into the cure, and truthfully into Alternative Rock after being a Metalhead for a lot of years.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#72 - Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me

The only Barenaked ladies in the top 100 (with a few in the top 200, which I may post later?) and IMO their best. A nice song for chilling out.

#71 - The Living End - Roll On

A band not really known in the states, but is huge in their home country of Australia. A rabble-rousing anthem if there ever was one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
One of my favourite lines in Pinch Me. "I could hide out under there. I just made you say underwear." Good song. Not my favourite of their's. Close. Will post my BNL Top 10 tomorrow.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

The only Barenaked ladies in the top 100 (with a few in the top 200, which I may post later?) and IMO their best. A nice song for chilling out.

#71 - The Living End - Roll On

A band not really known in the states, but is huge in their home country of Australia. A rabble-rousing anthem if there ever was one.
Fun songs.

They played a bit of Living End on Sirius, but I don't remember hearing them lately.
The guitar player plays the same Gretch White Falcon that Billy Duffy from the Cult plays.
And what's not to love about a rock band with a stand-up bass?

Reactions: sadchild

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Fun songs.

They played a bit of Living End on Sirius, but I don't remember hearing them lately.
The guitar player plays the same Gretch White Falcon that Billy Duffy from the Cult plays.
And what's not to love about a rock band with a stand-up bass?
Think I've heard 'Prisoner of Society' once or twice. I heard them more often on the Punk station on the old XM.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
#76 - Melissa Etheridge - Bring me some water

Great song from a great album!

#74 - Aimee Mann - That's Just What You Are

Nice!

#73 - The Cure - Pictures of You

Coming up on my 333 eventually

Definitely a fun one - one of my fav BNL songs.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
And because it's Labor Day, a bonus two!

#68 - The Clash - Straight to Hell

The Clash were probably the most versatile "Punk" band out there. They could do Punk, Soul/Funk, and even a little country. The first time I heard this song (shortly after purchasing 'Combat Rock') I was hooked.

#67 - Bruce Springsteen - Murder Incorporated

Fun fact! The song 'Murder Incorporated' was originally written back in 1982, during the sessions for 'Born in the USA', in fact it was between Born in the USA and Murder Inc. as to which song would make the album. Had this song made it, it also would have been the title track. It was eventually released as a new/bonus track on his Greatest Hits collection.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#66 - Blur - There's No Other Way

Hard to imagine this being from the same band that brought us that 'Woo Hoo' song, but they've got some range. This one is heavy on the melodies as opposed to the novelty of 'Song 2' (which I still like, but it's the worst of the best)

#65 - Smithereens - A Girl Like You

A big favorite since the day I saw them on Saturday Night Live as the musical guest, performing this song, and absolutely doing it right.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
First time hearing this Blur song. My first exposure to Blur was "Boys & Girls", which is a quirky one that "blurs" gender.... but I like it.

"A Girl Like You" is great! I wish I could find audio of the ridiculous "A Girl Like You (Part 2)" I mentioned somewhere else a while ago. Not because it's good, but because it's so odd.

Reactions: HecticArt