Jon's Top 100

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
#66 - Blur - There's No Other Way

Hard to imagine this being from the same band that brought us that 'Woo Hoo' song, but they've got some range. This one is heavy on the melodies as opposed to the novelty of 'Song 2' (which I still like, but it's the worst of the best)

#65 - Smithereens - A Girl Like You

A big favorite since the day I saw them on Saturday Night Live as the musical guest, performing this song, and absolutely doing it right.
I like both of those songs, and Boys & Girls too.
There's a lot more going on with Blur than just some Woo Hoo's.

Reactions: sadchild

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#64 - R.E.M. - Stand

This is one of those songs that's really an acquired taste, you really like it, or you don't! I remember hearing them do this in concert on the Monster tour and the crowd really getting into it. That's the biggest memory for me with this track.

#63 - Arrested Development - Tennessee

One of those tunes that never really loses it's relevance. Around the time I start getting back into rap after hearing some of the 90's stuff. Lots more rap in my Top 200 that didn't make the cut for this one.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
"Stand" is fun.... it's inane (as Michael Stipe described it), but just too much fun to not enjoy it for what it is - a good pop song!

"Tennessee" is my #291. A classic song from the best time in rap.... the golden age of hip-hop (circa 1987 - 1995).

@IdRatherBeSkiing My wife pretty much hates rap too... but she likes "Mr Wendal" by Arrested Development and can tolerate a few other songs from them.

Last edited:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
"Stand" is fun.... it's inane (as Michael Stipe described it), but just too much fun to not enjoy it for what it is - a good pop song!

"Tennessee" is my #291. A classic song from the best time in rap.... the golden age of hip-hop (circa 1987 - 1995).

@IdRatherBeSkiing My wife pretty much hates rap too... but she likes "Mr Wendal" by Arrested Development and can tolerate a few other songs from them.
Yeah, not every song has to be the next Dark Side of the Moon or something. You oughta see some of the wacky stuff in my collection.

And Rap is a lot like country nowadays, if you're simply paying attention to the stuff that gets played on the radio, then your missing the good stuff. That's why I got Sirius back since I knew my commute was going to grow for stuff like Outlaw Country, and Willie's Roadhouse.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
#63 - Arrested Development - Tennessee
One of those tunes that never really loses it's relevance. Around the time I start getting back into rap after hearing some of the 90's stuff.
Great song, and (if you don't mind me hijacking your thread) one of the vocalists was Dionne Farris. When she went solo, I really got into her debut release Wild Seed - Wild Flower. It has a bunch of good songs on it, but this one made it to #4

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#62 - The White Stripes - The Hardest Button to Button

I don't know if I can call Jack White underrated, but I don't believe he gets quite the credit as an artist, songwriter and producer. And some of the videos are pretty cool!

#61 - Herbie Hancock - Rockit

The breakdance anthem of the 80's.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
I prefer Dead Weather and solo Jack White to White Stripes, but all three projects have a distinct and unmistakable sound that works really well.

And yes, "Rockit" is the definitive breakdance song fo sho! And dat classic video too!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
#60 - The Prodigy - Breathe

Paraphrasing a comment: "This is what happens when the Joker and Black Panther got together and dropped acid." Not sure I could have put it any better.

#59 - The Police - Murder By Numbers

It speaks to the greatness of Synchronicity as an album, that a track like this is often forgotten.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
"Breathe" is great! Their best song IMO

I didn't hear "Murder" until years after buying, listening to and loving Synchronicity back in '83/'84, because I had it on vinyl and that was a bonus track not included on it. That jazzy sound was an early sign of things to come with Sting solo.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
#60 - The Prodigy - Breathe
Paraphrasing a comment: "This is what happens when the Joker and Black Panther got together and dropped acid." Not sure I could have put it any better.
Hell yeah! :\m/:
The Prodigy were great.
I miss those guys.
#59 - The Police - Murder By Numbers
It speaks to the greatness of Synchronicity as an album, that a track like this is often forgotten.
I'm glad I had the CD. The first time I heard this song, I was like, "What?"
The second time it started to grow on me.
"Breathe" is great! Their best song IMO

I didn't hear "Murder" until years after buying, listening to and loving Synchronicity back in '83/'84, because I had it on vinyl and that was a bonus track not included on it. That jazzy sound was an early sign of things to come with Sting solo.
His jazz stuff was the best. He had some wicked heavy hitters in that band.