Let's Talk About Animals

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I've heard that the tail of an animal is an extension of the spine. Like extra vertebrae or whatnot. But if an animal tail breaks they don't become cripple like if it's the spine of a man. So what am I missing here in my thought process?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I've heard that the tail of an animal is an extension of the spine. Like extra vertebrae or whatnot. But if an animal tail breaks they don't become cripple like if it's the spine of a man. So what am I missing here in my thought process?
The tail nerves only cover what is in the tail. If you break your back, you lose control of everything beyond the break. The lower the break the less impact. The last 4 vertebrae on the human spine are useless and sometimes called the tail bone. Leftover from our earlier mammal days.

Reactions: JHDK

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
For once I have a post about local wildlife that's not a joke.

On that paved trail by the canal I was talking about in the bike thread I saw a cute little owl! Now I'm pretty sure this is a breed of owls and it wasn't a baby. Years ago at my dad's place I saw one of these little guys, but that was at night. Whatever, it was super cute.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Did he have glasses and a Tootsie Pop?

Every once and a while we’ll see owls in our yard. A few years ago, there was an owl and her 2 baby owls in one of our trees. That was pretty cool.

Reactions: JHDK