Let's Talk About Animals

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Easiest solution:
1. Kill squirrel.
2. Embalm squirrel.
3. Chuck dead squirrel around photography studio until you get the shot.

Also the solution most favored by Boris Badenov.
Audubon, who was famous for his bird paintings, used to kill them and nail them to branches so that they would hold still while he painted them. (Or something like that. He was never headquartered in Denmark.)
John James Audubon - Wikipedia
blue-winged-warbler-john-james-audubon.jpg

I'm trying to figure out how they got the head-on pic without flattening the squirrel.
The short answer is a long lens.
ejp0801-1.jpg

The tricks are finding a flying squirrel, and getting him to jump toward you.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
My little Athena spends a lot of time at my dad's place. A couple years ago I got him one of those suction cup bird feeders to put on his window. When the birds come Athena gets all excited and runs over to check them out. I feel kinda bad for her that she will never get the chance to hunt and eat one. The birds only get scared off if she jumps up at them. If she is only looking at them they don't care...I guess the meal is worth the risk to them.

vEgx49X.jpg

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
"I was riding down the road one day {yesterday} someone {I} hit a possum."

It really made me sad. The stupid thing ran right out in front of me on my way home at like 11:30 pm. Also, I think I might have only winged it and that made me feel even worse that it's limping around all hurt now.

Bummer.

But it does give me an excuse to post this:

"Oh possum, your end is the road."

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
"I was riding down the road one day {yesterday} someone {I} hit a possum."

It really made me sad. The stupid thing ran right out in front of me on my way home at like 11:30 pm. Also, I think I might have only winged it and that made me feel even worse that it's limping around all hurt now.

Bummer.

But it does give me an excuse to post this:

"Oh possum, your end is the road."

On Tuesday nights (like tonight), I go to community band rehearsal after work, and I get home around 10pm. The last leg of my drive home puts me on the local roads, past farms, marshes, and the York river. By the time I get to that point, I'm itching to get home, so I'm booking it at 50 to 55 mph, while keenly monitoring my periphery for deer.

About a month ago, I came over a rise in the road, and there was a possum right in the middle of my lane. He slowly looked up, as if to say "oh, no", like a cartoon tortoise facing the inevitable. I managed to straddle the critter, but there was a thump as I drove over. I never saw any roadkill the next morning, or even anything on the side of the road, so maybe he was just stunned?

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
I never saw any roadkill the next morning, or even anything on the side of the road, so maybe he was just stunned?

I hope that's what happened in my case too. Even though it's probably not, it will make me feel better to think it.

I'll be checking for the little fella on my way to work today.