Lithium Now Has A Dj?

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by kryptonite, Mar 25, 2015.

1. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Since when? ARGH!

At least I have the app. :)

Matt Pinfield is on from 3p to 10p every weekday...and you *know* he's voicetracked.

2. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

He has to be better than A.D.

By the way, whatever happened to him?

3. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

Hopefully he choked to death on his own scripted wittiness. I loathed him.

Matt Pinfield's a cool guy, that MTV show 120 minutes was really influential at the time. That being said, the SXM DJs generally annoy me. I think SXM uses them to "differentiate" their brand from other music services. But the way they utilize them ranges from useful (new music channels like SiriusXMU) to just f*king annoying, such as Richard Blade on 1st Wave giving me a background on every 30 year old band, every time, between every song, while providing other useless info such as their tour locations and dates (we got it - every band you play is touring all the time); reminding me about the SXM Facebook page and twitter, telling me about programs coming up later, or on aother day, telling me about the NASCAR schedule, just anything to keep from playing a goddamned song. Mark Goodman is another one; I remember him from WPLJ in NYC before he became an MTV VJ, but now he's got a story to tell after every song.

So I guess Lithium is doomed for the same fate. How many times can they tell stories about Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains before you just shoot yourself?

semipenguin likes this.
  4. kryptonite

I wonder if its someone's logic: "If we have a guy voice tracking a show, we can get him to talk for the equivalent of 2-3 songs per hour, thus possibly saving money in RIAA fees." Well...if you can voice-track a seven-hour show in a matter of 1-2 hours, you only need to pay the guy for 1-2 hours of work and voila.

At least we get the app for non-stop music.

The only other DJs I know of on Sirius are Madison and there was the guy that did Octane...Keith Roth? Was that his name? Last I heard he left Sirius for some country station, but that was back in 07 or 08 or so. Ok...that's not the guy, but yeah. Him.

semipenguin likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Matt does a decent job. His banter is usually reasonably interesting.
    Blade tends to talk too much about the parties that he's goin to be DJ'ing, and reminding people he used to shag Terry Nunn.
    I like a bit of DJ talk. Tours, side projects, and a bit of trivia. A little goes a long way.

semipenguin likes this.
  6. kryptonite

At least it's better than when they played Seal and asked if anyone had a needle. Anything is better than that phase.

To me, there's three main phases of 90s alternative:

1) There's the early 90s with the Seattle Scene (up to the first Foos album)
    2) There's the "middle era" with bands like Cake and Hole. I guess I'd also throw Candlebox into here as well and maybe DMB as well. I figure it's when "alternative stations" started to get big and modern mainstream rock stations were probably figuring out what to play if they weren't playing Marilyn Manson or Nine Inch Nails. Nirvana was dead, Pearl Jam had shunned the spotlight and "modern rock" was anything but stable.
    3) The "late phase" includes bands like Blink-182, Lit, etc. Basically, if Carson Daly played "rock" on TRL, this was it.

I could live without the second phase.

7. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I always thought Lithium was an odd channel. Is it grunge or 90's alt? How is DMB possibly either one? And why is it that I actually lived through the 90's listening to grunge and alt, but I never heard of Candlebox until Lithium?

I think part of the problem is that there's no other 90's era rock channel, so they don't quite know what to do about it.

8. semipenguin

I can listen to grunge.

Not interested in any of the harder stuff on Lithium.

9. kryptonite

Yeah. Officially, it's "90s alternative and grunge." IMO, grunge is/was a subset of 90s alternative. Officially, it started in the 80s with bands like Love Battery, Malfunkshun, Green River and Mother Love Bone, but those aren't played on Lithium as they're not 90s music. (ARGH!)

Yeah...they need a 90s alt-pop channel and a 80s/90s grunge channel that can also play more current stuff by Pearl Jam, Foos, etc.

sbv71 and semipenguin like this.
  10. semipenguin

Alice in Chains & Soundgarden are considered grunge, but I think they're much harder than that.

Ehilbert1 likes this.
  11. kryptonite

Soundgarden was more metal-based.
    Pearl Jam, depending on your point of view, is a continuation of Mother Love Bone which could be interpreted as a glam/hair band...even though MLB's members got influence from all over. Disco, metal, blues, everything.
    Nirvana was probably more along the lines of MLB although they had this thing for destroying guitars probably moreso than anyone else.:p

Drop D tuning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next thing you know, there'll be a channel for "Drop D" bands.

semipenguin likes this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I generally like Lithium. The grunge branding is a bit unfortunate.
    The variety is decent for the era. I can listen for several hours at a time. They can get on their short set list from time to time, but it's easy enough to change channels when they do.

semipenguin likes this.
  13. MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio1 MadisonRadio

I like DJ's on SXM like Real Jazz & Watercolors but I'm liking all the shows better. You can focus on time and when to tune in. I'm ok with some of the automated channels too.

semipenguin and HecticArt like this.