Loading CD to iTunes Question

Deacon

Oct 14, 2008
14.4 miles from Pepe's Pizza
I just loaded The Story of the Clash to my iTunes library. My question is what determines the speed at which the song copies over. I always thought this was somewhat dependent on the CD, but in this case CD1 and CD2 were significantly different.

Disc one loaded at about 5.5x and while Disc 2 loaded at about 18.0x. Everything else was the same, i.e. programs running, etc.

What gives?

Reactions: DoublEE

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
Was one of the discs in worse condition than the other? the only two things I can think of are either one disc being scratched and error correction being involved, or some laptops have CD drives that slow the disc down when they are being moved around, to keep it from bashing against the inside of the drive and getting scratched. They're not perfect, and they'll sometimes slow down the drive even when it's perfectly still.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
I just loaded The Story of the Clash to my iTunes library. ...

Disc one loaded at about 5.5x and while Disc 2 loaded at about 18.0x. Everything else was the same, i.e. programs running, etc.

What gives?

The truth is only known by guttersnipes.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I think it depends on what bitrate you rip the cds at...but if you did back to back rips then I dunno...but I do know that mine are about 8x when they used to be at 20x and I can't remember what setting was the faster one.