Logitech Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Other MP3 Players' started by Grüpsaar, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Okay, so I got another new toy, I am too tired from work to type all of my review out now (and I havent even used it enough to have a whole review) but I will be sure to update this tomorrow with a full review and probably even a video review. To tide you all over, here's the pics I posted to twitter already as I used it.

Just as a quick rundown, this thing is a wifi radio, and it can install apps, for say, Pandora, Slacker, Mediafly, Sirius, and more. And, aside from music, it can install facebook apps, and what have you. It also lets you stream your music collection from your computer to the radio wirelessly. All of this in addition to the countless online wifi radio streams on shoutcast and local radio stations. Truly a great little radio. I'm going to go back to toying with it, I am enjoying it waaaaaaaaay too much!

First, I came home to find this little guy sitting by my doorstep. A package from TSS Radio! Thanks! It only took 2 days to get here. Awesome.

http://twitpic.com/16mpyr

http://twitpic.com/16ms4c

http://twitpic.com/16mvw6

http://twitpic.com/16mx8t
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    Aaron likes this.
  2. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

which sqeezebox is it i have the squeezebox radio
  3. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Same, it's the Squeezebox Radio, thats it official title. Not the Boom or anything. Standalone Radio. How do you like it? My only minor gripe so far is no lights on the buttons or knobs, and the remote is sold seperately.
  4. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

i enjoy it very much and i agree about the lack of lights
    plus some of the internet radio streams are out of date
  5. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Hm, well, I so far am using it more for SHoutcast and Sirius, and my own collection. But we'll see as it goes.
  6. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Here's a quick video I threw together in a drunken stupor. It outlines the basic features, I'll let you guys have a better review in the morning when I have time, but I'm excited about this thing, so I wanted my first impressions up here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMBp_MupL4I]YouTube - video-2010-03-04-21-41-47.3gp[/ame]
    limegrass69 likes this.
  7. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Thanks for the review. I might have to make one of these Internet radios one of my new toys. I'm all hooked up with Sonos at home, but the drop outs at the office with my Sirius unit on the windowsill are becoming annoying. If the economy stays together, I might have to grab one of these (or a Grace radio).
  8. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

The grace radio's were my second choice, but for some reason this one is what I ended up purchasing. So far, not disappointed. I woke up to a nice rainstorm sound that got gradually louder, it worked pretty well. Liking the alarm.
  9. jgboys1

jgboys1 Member

Grüpsaar likes this.
  10. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Cool, I was wondering if there was a forum for these radios.
  11. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

So, after using it throughout today, I have a few more things to add.

First, I am loving the aspect of internet radio stations on this thing, all of my old local radio stations are on here, and I can listen just like I used to. Real cool to have instant access to my local DJ's from my childhood.

Pandora is getting about 75% of the usage so far for me, but this morning I was tuned to Howard 101 on SIR and all went flawlessly. Waking up to the radio is a nice treat, and is going to be my new dedicated alarm clock. Not sure if I want to wake up to music or talk though, or some ambient noises.
    Also, this thing does pump out some good sound. It's not going to be killer soundsystem bass thumping sound, but, I was impressed. I listen at a lower volume (20-30) but I turned it up this morning pretty loud and while listening to Octane, it sounded fantastic, no distortion or anything, and the bass and treble is balanced quite well, everything is clear and sounds great, it's hard to believe at times that the sound is coming from this little radio.

One nice thing is the little handle in the back, because I carried this from room to room today, I just wish I had a battery pack for it, which is sold seperate. These are apperently backordered, but I might get one, because this thing would be nice to haul along to parties or friends places easily. All it needs is the remote and it would be perfect.

One thing I just added this morning was mediafly, and it can pick up pretty much any podcast. I tuned in to TWiT and redbar radio no problem, and despite two other reviews that claimed that it cannot fastforward or seek in podcasts, I found I could. If you hold down the fast forward button, let go, then hold it down once the seek timer comes up, it will begin seeking and goes fairly quickly so if I you need to get to the end of an hour or two long podcast, it shouldn't take longer than a minute to find your place. It resumes playing pretty quickly depending on your connection, too. Of course, you have the ability to favoriting podcasts just like anything else you listen to on the squeezebox.

When listening to my personal collection, I DID find that not all my zune music is there. I'd say 90% is there, but I'm thinking everything I have via the zune pass that was not purchased using my song credits does not show up, but everything else is there. No huge deal as most of my stuff is ripped or I bought it anyway. Like I mentioned in the video, artwork is wrong sometimes, which is not the case on my computer. So somehwere along the line it is reading the wrong information when streaming to the radio. A minor gripe, but I thought I'd point it out. I'm sure there's a quick fix to this, but I don't feel like messing with that at the moment.
  12. TSS_Greg

TSS_Greg New Member

Thanks for posting! That was a really cool review, I know we carry them but I haven't really had too many chances to play around with the Squeezebox, it was nice to see it in action.
  13. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Thanks. Haha, the review was a bit all over, I did it late at night after having a few beers, but I really wanted some impressions up on here, so I was giddy and shot that real quick. and I wanted to show it off to you since I know you said you wanted to know how it all went.
  14. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

This is a great review and I especially enjoyed the video review. I did a review of the Grace Radio and I have to say I think the Logitech Squeezebox is probably the better setup.

My biggest issue with both of these is no Slacker! Slacker is so much superior to Pandora and for me having to listen to it would be settling for so much less.

I also don't see this as an advantage over my existing iPod Touch and/or iPhone setup, which doesn't force me to keep it on my bed stand or office desk etc. However, someone without one of these, the Squeezebox is certainly the way to go. The other advantage of course with the Squeezebox is Sirius Internet Radio does include Howard, where as the App for streaming on smartphone etc does not include him.

Anyway GREAT review Grup... thanks for sharing!
  15. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the review, however, Squeezebox DOES have a slacker app. I had not installed it yet because, although I do have more slacker stations, I just got into a groove with pandora more, but I did install the slacker app today and toyed with it, so I am so far unsure which one I will use more on this radio.
  16. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Wow that is great news! Glad to hear there is a Slacker app for it as I would have zero interest in it without that. I know the Grace Radio does not and I am not sure you can add apps to it.

I can tell you which one I use more. Slacker has double the library of Pandora and when you have a lot of custom stations like I do, Pandora can't hold a candle to it.
  17. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Also, my remote problem was solved, thanks to a nifty app I installed on my Droid. I can control everything from my phone and even view album art and everything perfectly from my phone. Nice!
  18. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

will you carry the battery fot this ubit
  19. KTMCDO

KTMCDO Member

the deal with the zune issue
    are due to the DRM that the tunes support
    thats why most of the zune music cant be played
  20. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

I don't see us carrying replacement parts for it. If I saw them available I would purchase but usually they don't offer replacement parts.