Lynx questions...

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
My SL100 is dying (only 16% memory, deletes recordings) and my SL2 barely works. I see for $200 i can get a lynx with a home and car dock.

Can the lynx do scheduled recordings like the SL series?
I would assume i need to pay more to get stern?
Do i also need a internet subscription to get ONdemand radio?

If anyone has a old SL2 let me know

SXM_Help

May 25, 2012
www.facebook.com
My SL100 is dying (only 16% memory, deletes recordings) and my SL2 barely works. I see for $200 i can get a lynx with a home and car dock.

Can the lynx do scheduled recordings like the SL series?
I would assume i need to pay more to get stern?
Do i also need a internet subscription to get ONdemand radio?

If anyone has a old SL2 let me know

Hi Rob -

Can the lynx do scheduled recordings like the SL series? Yes, you can record content from your favorite channels.
I would assume i need to pay more to get stern?Yes, you will need to subscribe to a XM Premier subscription
Do i also need a internet subscription to get ONdemand radio?You don't need to have an online subscription but it's highly recommended.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

-SiriusXM Digital Care Team

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Do i also need a internet subscription to get ONdemand radio?You don't need to have an online subscription but it's highly recommended.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

-SiriusXM Digital Care Team

what do i miss out on without the internet subscription? i don't care about the extra 20 spanish/catholic channels, i just want the ondemand feature for howard/electric area.

rolandk10

Aug 29, 2012
Naples, FL
I went from a SL100 to a Lynx a few months back. It does record like the SL. The only issues I have are during playback. Unlike the SL, the Lynx has FF and RW restrictions. Some are a little inconsistent and annoying. I think all music channels have an hourly limit of 5 song skips and 1 rewind. Talk stations seem to be locked or unlocked based on the entire channel rather than the show.

For example, Sirius Patriot 125 doesn't allow FF or RW at all during playback regardless of it being a syndicated show or not. So you have to listen to it in real time and once you get to the end, it self-deletes. Another annoying side effect is that if you pause it for too long, it will go back to the schedule. When you restart it, it goes back to the begining of the last segment. I've listened to the same 20 minutes of wilkow too many times to count. A little FF option could help there.

From what I have read, Stern doesn't have that issue. I haven't found anything at the SiriusXM website that lists what channels lock out scrubbing only a statement that some might. Funnily enough, when I listen to the on demand version of wilkow, all the commercials are removed for me and I can FF and RW fine.

Also, any channel that has FF and RW restrictions appears to only apply to recordings. The 1 hour live buffer (which works on all 5 presets in view) has no restrictions I've found. This comes in handy. For example, if you have been listening to preset 1 for an hour, you can change to preset 2 and back up the last hour and skip all you want. Just make sure you have the replay recording turned on.

One last thing. Unlike the SL100 I had, I can't start listening to a recording until it is finished. It was handy to have my show record from 12-3 and then if I got in the car at 1, start listening to the recorded part while the radio continued to record the live part. When it comes to recording Sirius, the Lynx will do but the SL was much better. I used to say the SL100 was one of the best pieces of tech I've ever owned. The Lynx is nice but doesn't give me the same sentiment.

I realize the record restrictions are not SXM's fault. It bothers me though that I pay a seperate line item on my SXM bill direct to the media companies and they still require these restrictions.

Last edited:

Pirate Todd

Jan 5, 2009
To follow up on some of these questions...

Does the 30 day limit only apply to songs? Say I schedule daily recordings of the Stern show. Will I be able to save those shows until I delete them and listen to the shows months after I record them?...or will they start erasing after 30 days?

Does the Lynx have a sports ticker or a way to select your favorite teams like the SL2 does? I like that feature quite a bit.

I understand Lynx has a built in speaker, does it produce a decent sound or is it not very loud?

I understand you can not start to listen to a show from the beginning that is currently recording live like the SL2 allows, but could I listen back to a previous show I recorded while a live recording is taking place?

If I am listening back to one my recordings of the Stern show for example and decided to listen to one of my mp3s on the device, when I go back to that same stern show I was listening to, will it pick up right where I left off? I love this feature on the SL2.

Thanks to anyone that can help with these questions

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I haven't kept anything that long, so I don't know if it all gets deleted or not.
No ticker.
The speaker is ok, but not a substitute for external speakers.
Never tried it.

Someone else can weigh in on the ones I couldn't help out with.

Pirate Todd

Jan 5, 2009
I haven't kept anything that long, so I don't know if it all gets deleted or not.
No ticker.
The speaker is ok, but not a substitute for external speakers.
Never tried it.

Someone else can weigh in on the ones I couldn't help out with.

Thank you for the ones you could answer..I appreciate it.

On the last thing you said about never trying it---were you referring to being able to listen back to a previous show that was recorded, while a live recording is taking place?

Or the device starting a stored recording where you stopped listening and picking up right where I left off?

Thanks again

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Thank you for the ones you could answer..I appreciate it.

On the last thing you said about never trying it---were you referring to being able to listen back to a previous show that was recorded, while a live recording is taking place?

Or the device starting a stored recording where you stopped listening and picking up right where I left off?

Thanks again

I was talking about recording while listening to a playback. Haven't tried it. :no:
I know others have though.

rolandk10

Aug 29, 2012
Naples, FL
To follow up on some of these questions...

Does the 30 day limit only apply to songs? Say I schedule daily recordings of the Stern show. Will I be able to save those shows until I delete them and listen to the shows months after I record them?...or will they start erasing after 30 days?

They should start deleting 30 days after you record them whether or not you listened to them.
Does the Lynx have a sports ticker or a way to select your favorite teams like the SL2 does? I like that feature quite a bit.

Under Settings > My content, there is a setting for "game alert". I don't remeber if it showed me the score or not but it will let you be alerted. When you go in to that menu, you have about 15 different sport leagues to choose from and then you can choose your teams when you drill down from there.
I understand Lynx has a built in speaker, does it produce a decent sound or is it not very loud?
I find it's not loud at all. I use a bluetooth speaker from HIDDEN ? Welcome . They are pricey but really nice.
I understand you can not start to listen to a show from the beginning that is currently recording live like the SL2 allows, but could I listen back to a previous show I recorded while a live recording is taking place?
Yes. The recording of scheduled shows and favorite channels will continue while you listen to previous recordings.

Edit. The only time you might see an issue is if you are in internet mode and you start listening to a show. I know the favorites won't record but a scheduled show might try tuning the satellite antenna. You might want to double check that to be sure.
If I am listening back to one my recordings of the Stern show for example and decided to listen to one of my mp3s on the device, when I go back to that same stern show I was listening to, will it pick up right where I left off? I love this feature on the SL2.
Yes. Kinda. When a talk show is recorded, every segment is broken up into a track. So if howard talks for 20 minutes, that's one track. The the next 8 commercials are another 8 tracks. When you go back to listening, I've noticed it goes to the begining of the track you last heard. So you may have to scrub forward a bit to get back to where you were. I tried disabling the "Tune Start" feature and it didn't seem to matter.

It's only a pain in the butt for channels that don't allow FF and RW. When I record from channel 125, FF/RW are blocked. If I listen to a show and leave, when I come back, it still starts at the beginning of the last track. Even if I'm 18 minutes in to a 19minute segment. Needless to say, without the ability to scrub, I have listened to the same segment 2-3 times too often to count. Note to lawyers...I end up hearing LESS commercials this way genius!

The only other annoying playback issue for me is that after about 5-10 minutes of pause, it stops the playback completely and goes back to the recorded list. That is why the previous issue is a pain in the butt. While I'm driving around stopping at appointments, Everytime I get back in to the car, I have to listen to the same segment again. I never seem to get to the client 10 seconds in to the segment. It seems like it's always 2/3 into it. I've driven around for 2 hours before and only manged to get 45 minutes through the show.

Seriously, programmers, can you really not find a way to set the restriction flag per show? Does it HAVE to be by channel? I understand some of your syndicated shows might force this on you but from 12pm-3pm Eastern, ch 125, that show is all yours produced right in your own New York building. The funniest part, when I listen to the show On Demand, all the FF/RW controls are back and the commercials are removed for me. I know you can do it. challenge yourself and find a way.

This applies to radio replays too programmers. I can see music stations having a FF?RW limit but why talk stations? They will buffer 40+hours of content. Do I really want to listen to current events and news from two days ago? At least let me skip an hour at a time or something.

Thanks to anyone that can help with these questions

No Problem. I had MY SL100 since 2007 and I used it for recording daily until it broke a few months back. I tried the XMP3i and it was horrible. The Lynx has been alright. I like the favorite channel replay feature but I miss the love button and unlimited song skips.

Last edited:
Reactions: HecticArt

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Edit. The only time you might see an issue is if you are in internet mode and you start listening to a show. I know the favorites won't record but a scheduled show might try tuning the satellite antenna. You might want to double check that to be sure.

So the Lynx has the same restriction the SL2 had in that only 1 of internet or sat mode could be active at any one time?

rolandk10

Aug 29, 2012
Naples, FL
So the Lynx has the same restriction the SL2 had in that only 1 of internet or sat mode could be active at any one time?

Someone else will have to verify that. But it can only record if satellite mode is on. The way I use it is either in the car dock or on portable battery in the house. I don't have internet in the car and I can't connect to sat in the house so I never noticed if it can connect to both at once.

Edit: I just tested it in my driveway on the car dock. It was able to connect to both satellite and my home wifi at the same time. I have to choose which mode I want to listen to. So while the connections are established, further testing or comment is need to find out if, while on internet mode, a satellite recording be made.

Last edited:

Pirate Todd

Jan 5, 2009
AMAZING INFO rolandk10 !!!
Thank you so much!!!

I guess I should ask one more question, since I am convinced to switch from my Stiletto 2 to the Lynx.
I usually pay for my sub at least 1-2 years in advance. I believe if I decide to get the Lynx, I will have to add best of Sirius to it in order to get Stern and NFL?
I dont have to do this with SL2 and I don't have best of XM on SL2. If I pay for the year in advance, how much extra is it to add the best of Sirius and can this be paid yearly as well?
I assume some of you already have this setup, so maybe you can provide me with the costs. Thanks again..

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
AMAZING INFO rolandk10 !!!
Thank you so much!!!

I guess I should ask one more question, since I am convinced to switch from my Stiletto 2 to the Lynx.
I usually pay for my sub at least 1-2 years in advance. I believe if I decide to get the Lynx, I will have to add best of Sirius to it in order to get Stern and NFL?
I dont have to do this with SL2 and I don't have best of XM on SL2. If I pay for the year in advance, how much extra is it to add the best of Sirius and can this be paid yearly as well?
I assume some of you already have this setup, so maybe you can provide me with the costs. Thanks again..

Probably not through the regular number. Send their Twitter a question and hopefully you'll get in contact with the more-than-wonderful people in Nova Scotia who can do things that the Filipinos can't.

acguy1999

Mar 18, 2013
I'm new to the lynx. Today is really my first day using it. I wanted to schedule a recording of a talk show (Patriot 125). When I went the show listings, found my show, clicked the "action" button but the record button isn't there. Can anyone help?