Lynx questions...

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
This thread really answered a lot of questions and after playing around with the Lynx for a little while, here are some questions I have:
I have noticed that while listening to Eddie Trunk over the WIFI feed (I haven't hooked up the sat feed while I make a decision over the next 15 days), I noticed that it will not allow me to fast forward more than 5 times and then it gives me an error.
Does this work the same way over the Satellite feed?
What about with shows that have been records?

This is for all 3 above questions: Yes- The Recording Industry forced SXM to to impose those restrictions on their content about 2 years ago- so SXM had no choice in that matter.

People have commented on "scrubbing" - does this mean you can select where you fast forward to in some modes or is it still dependent upon the start of songs or talk shows? For example, if I don't want to hear Richard and Sal call into Tradio for the seven millionth time, can I easily fast forward past it?
If so, is this feature different on music vs. talk stations?

As far as I know, scrubbing is only available on smartphones

Are there any features that former Stiletto (or S50) users really miss that wasn't included on the Lynx? Never had one.

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
I have noticed that while listening to Eddie Trunk over the WIFI feed (I haven't hooked up the sat feed while I make a decision over the next 15 days), I noticed that it will not allow me to fast forward more than 5 times and then it gives me an error.

This is for all 3 above questions: Yes- The Recording Industry forced SXM to to impose those restrictions on their content about 2 years ago- so SXM had no choice in that matter.

Thank you for this information - regarding this above area - is it the same on talk stations for the restrictions (like Stern)?

----
SIDE RANT - I'll then just comment that the recording industry has forced us backwards - I use this feature A LOT during my recordings on my stiletto....
(that is all)
---

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for the information.
I can't figure out why the either the home or car kit remotes do not have volume control on them though? :clueless:

64mosh

Feb 13, 2013
Thanks for the information.
I can't figure out why the either the home or car kit remotes do not have volume control on them though? :clueless:

That's because the remote comes with the car dock and when the receiver is docked there's a default line out volume set. But you can change the default line out volume in settings

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I'm pretty sure that the fast-forward and rewind limits on music stations are just per hour and then they reset.

Correct: 5 >> p/h and 1 << p/h
And this is only for music channels- most talk, sports & entertainment does not have that limitation.

I don't understand the need to adjust volume except in portable mode. When in home dock I have Bluetooth all the way up & adjust volume with home stereo or PC speakers. In car dock output level is all the way up and volume is controlled with the stereo.

Also note that settings for all 3 modes are completely separate in settings.

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks to both of you for the information. I really appreciate it.
The reason I use the remote for volume in both car and home is because I don't want to keep picking up 2 remotes.

64mosh

Feb 13, 2013
Correct: 5 >> p/h and 1 << p/h
And this is only for music channels- most talk, sports & entertainment does not have that limitation.

I don't understand the need to adjust volume except in portable mode. When in home dock I have Bluetooth all the way up & adjust volume with home stereo or PC speakers. In car dock output level is all the way up and volume is controlled with the stereo.
I do believe that the remote won't even work in portable mode

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Two remotes is a drag. In the car, I rarely use the remote. I should, but I have to remind myself to to grab it. I've got the volume control on the steering wheel. I keep a remote at my desk at work, but it's usually farther away than the radio is .....

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
People have commented on "scrubbing" - does this mean you can select where you fast forward to in some modes or is it still dependent upon the start of songs or talk shows? For example, if I don't want to hear Richard and Sal call into Tradio for the seven millionth time, can I easily fast forward past it?
If so, is this feature different on music vs. talk stations?

I tried streaming an episode of the stern show last night and I was able to scrub to wherever I wanted in the show by dragging the circle in the time bar. It's not the most accurate, but it does give you more control than just hitting the FF button to skip to the next segment. I always try to skip the first 8 minutes or so because I hate having to sit through lame bits and songs from years ago. I don't get why they don't make that a separate segment so it's easier to skip.

I hear you on the lame tradio calls. They were funny the first few times, but now it's just the same lame crap over and over and over again.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
I tried streaming an episode of the stern show last night and I was able to scrub to wherever I wanted in the show by dragging the circle in the time bar. It's not the most accurate, but it does give you more control than just hitting the FF button to skip to the next segment. I always try to skip the first 8 minutes or so because I hate having to sit through lame bits and songs from years ago. I don't get why they don't make that a separate segment so it's easier to skip.

I hear you on the lame tradio calls. They were funny the first few times, but now it's just the same lame crap over and over and over again.
This was on your Lynx? If so- Great Find!!

I didn't know you could do that, I hardly ever listen to anything other than music on mine.

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
Yes, it was on my lynx. I just got it on Monday so I'm still learning how it works.
Thank you for sharing this! I was on the fence, but now I'm keeping it. Even went and got 2 more home dock Made it even better when I found I could pair other devices to the docks. Now I can connect my iphone to my stereo via Bluetooth. I was getting ready to purchase a BT receiver too. For $18 this is a good deal by itself....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I hear mention of BlueTooth pairing with the home dock. Will the vehicle dock pair with a BT receiver in a car? Or will the Lynx do this on it's own?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I used my Lynx in one or rwo rental cars last year, but didn't spend enough time on the road to really give it run for the money. Cool though. :yesshake:

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I hear mention of BlueTooth pairing with the home dock. Will the vehicle dock pair with a BT receiver in a car? Or will the Lynx do this on it's own?

The car dock does not have bluetooth, only the home dock does. The Lynx has bluetooth though so if you need to listen to it in a car you would pair the Lynx bluetooth to the car. You would still need the car dock if you want to listen to a satellite signal, but the pairing would actually be between the Lynx and the car, not between the car dock and the car.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The car dock does not have bluetooth, only the home dock does. The Lynx has bluetooth though so if you need to listen to it in a car you would pair the Lynx bluetooth to the car. You would still need the car dock if you want to listen to a satellite signal, but the pairing would actually be between the Lynx and the car, not between the car dock and the car.

Ahhhhh, subtle difference in meaning.
SiriusXM Lynx? LV1 Vehicle Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio
Like I said, I hadn't tried it in my car, but saw the website say that you can connect via BT, but they aren't that specific.

So it's yes, but technically no. You can connect the radio via BT but not through the dock. Without the dock, you can't listen to live content.

sgniwder

Nov 10, 2008
Thanks for all of the clarification on the vehicle dock and lack of Bluetooth. I couldn't figure out how that worked either.