Mac or PC ? Laptop or Desktop?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
What day-to-day BS are you referring to? I can't remember ever getting a virus or dealing with things on a day-to-day basis.

If it was just me using the machine that would reduce the problem with windows big time. However, staff using computers brings all this to a whole new level. But I mean things like turning off your computer for the night, coming back the next day and now the scanner doesn't scan or the printer won't print. It can't find the network and YES there have been plenty issues with viruses and spyware. I won't even get into the oops my USB ports suddenly quit working and the ports are fine, its just a freaking windows issue. Reinstall windows and the problem is fixed.. for awhile. Once we switched to Mac all these issues went away.

Its sort of like driving a vehicle.. if only you drive it they seem to last forever. Once you start letting others drive it they go to crap pretty quickly.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
If it was just me using the machine that would reduce the problem with windows big time. However, staff using computers brings all this to a whole new level.

I didn't realize you were talking about staff; I assumed you just meant your personal computer. Bringing staff into the equation I can certainly agree.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Oh yeah, this is what a Cray X-MP looked like:

CRAY_X-MP_IMG_9135.jpg

It was 6 feet tall or so. I'm thinking of building a sofa that looks like it, and hiding a desktop inside.

Some dudes just built a tiny Cray 1 emulator:

These Two Guys Tried to Rebuild a Cray Supercomputer - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic

It's a CNC'd case for a $200 computer running the Cray OS on an emulator.