Mac Snow Leopard 10.6

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
As an FYI...you don't need to set the operating system to the 64-bit kernel. All of the applications will run in 64-bit mode even if your OS is using the 32-bit kernel. The information in the quote is from the below link:

The 32-bit kernel fully supports 64-bit applications, all system libraries that 64-bit applications use are fully 64-bit, and 64-bit applications have a full 64-bit virtual address space of 16 exabytes available to them on Mac OS X. The primary benefit of a 64-bit kernel is to improve the efficiency of accessing over 32GB of RAM.
Link: Snow Leopard Currently Restricts 64-Bit Booting to Newer Macs - Snow leopard 64-bit - Gizmodo

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I just finished installing it a few minutes ago. The upgrade took about 40 minutes from start to finish and all went well. You will notice a difference when browsing in Safari...it's very snappy!! :D
I was beginning to wonder if anyone here on DRC had actually gotten the upgrade. I am glad everything went well for you. I am looking forward to it.

:(

Delivers: Sep 1, 2009
Yes that is EXACTLY what mine says. So, not till Tuesday for me, this means they just shipped if first class, not even priority. Amazing that those of us that spent all that money buying a brand new system almost got treated like red headed step children on this deal. You know damn good and well it isn't costing them $9.95 for USPS first class shipping.

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
I ordered from MacMall on Monday or Tuesday and received the package yesterday. $32.41 shipped. I highly recommend these guys for Mac stuff.

Upgrade went without problem. I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I ordered from MacMall on Monday or Tuesday and received the package yesterday. $32.41 shipped. I highly recommend these guys for Mac stuff.

Upgrade went without problem. I haven't had a chance to play with it much yet though.
Those of us that didn't get it did the UTD request when we purchased our new Mac computers. These are the ones that didn't get sent out until the day of the release instead of before like those of you that paid more money did.

Most people that bought it from Apple, Amazon, Newegg where ever all got them on Friday. Just not us UTD folks!

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
:(

Delivers: Sep 1, 2009
Yes that is EXACTLY what mine says. So, not till Tuesday for me, this means they just shipped if first class, not even priority. Amazing that those of us that spent all that money buying a brand new system almost got treated like red headed step children on this deal. You know damn good and well it isn't costing them $9.95 for USPS first class shipping.
Mine, too. Maybe it will get here early?

I really wanted to play with it this weekend. Oh well.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
So much for us UTD folks being "Up to Date"... My inner nerd is crying at having to wait, but my outer cheapskate is yelling at him to shut up.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
So let me ask you guys, if you know the answer? A buddy of mine who purchased a used 2008 MBP went to Best Buy and purchased a copy of Snow Leopard. He has not installed it yet, but told me there is no keycodes or anything that he sees in the package? If you know you have a licensed copy coming can you use someone else's copy to go ahead and upgrade? I was just wondering as I've never done a Mac OS upgrade. He like me was expecting to see a keycode or something in order to install it.

What do you guys think?

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Apple has never used any sort of license keys* at all. Technically, Snow Leopard is meant to only be used by users of Leopard. Tiger owners are legally expected to purchase Leopard as well as Snow Leopard.

Now, that being said, Apple has pretty much always allowed you to be on your honor with regards to upgrades. They aren't going to check and will never know otherwise.

* except on certain Pro level applications and the Server version of the OS.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple has never used any sort of license keys* at all. Technically, Snow Leopard is meant to only be used by users of Leopard. Tiger owners are legally expected to purchase Leopard as well as Snow Leopard.

Now, that being said, Apple has pretty much always allowed you to be on your honor with regards to upgrades. They aren't going to check and will never know otherwise.
Thanks Jef, my buddy got his copy of Leopard installed with no problems. He did a clean install because he purchased that MBP from someone else and it was loaded with a lot of crap. He asked me what I thought and I just told him I'd do a clean install that way he can install what he wants and he'll get the best service from Snow Leopard. He agreed!

I think considering what you've said I may just borrow his disc tomorrow and install it on mine. I do have a current copy of Leopard and I will have Snow Leopard by Tuesday if the information they provided on their web site is accurate. I think some may likely get it before then via USPS. I've never done illegal copies of Windows and I don't plan on starting with Mac. (Though I did have an XP Pro key one time that for whatever reason when it went through the Genuine test failed and I had to call MS. I gave them the key and they gave me a new one and then mailed me a new disc with that key on it. Not sure what the issue was.)

MM, I thought you were going out to buy a copy for your wife's iMac, seems you could upgrade your MacBook Pro too with that copy!

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I think considering what you've said I may just borrow his disc tomorrow and install it on mine.
Sounds like a plan - enjoy! I'd do the same if I had access to a disk. I think a coworker picked up a copy, but I'm too lazy to drive over and borrow his. I'd buy a copy for my wife, but she's not usually keen on changing things if she's not having problems. And my Mini is a 1st Gen PPC, so no Snow Leopard for that little guy.

I am just going to chill til mine arrives. Report back on your impressions and anything that sticks out as good or bad.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Amsterdam in the Rockies
I'll be getting mine in October, Snow Leopard included. I have pretty much decided on the high-end 13 inch with 4GB and the 250GB hard drive. With the student discount I'll be getting, it'll save me a few hundred dollars.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Sounds like a plan - enjoy! I'd do the same if I had access to a disk. I think a coworker picked up a copy, but I'm too lazy to drive over and borrow his. I'd buy a copy for my wife, but she's not usually keen on changing things if she's not having problems. And my Mini is a 1st Gen PPC, so no Snow Leopard for that little guy.

I am just going to chill til mine arrives. Report back on your impressions and anything that sticks out as good or bad.
My buddy just came by and dropped the DVD off. He and his family have an all day outting tomorrow so they are leaving out early in the morning. He said I figured I'd go ahead and drop this off now, that way I know you won't get any sleep tonight! LOL

I have my Mac Mini updating now! It says it will take about 40 minutes. I'll keep you guys posted!

I'll be getting mine in October, Snow Leopard included. I have pretty much decided on the high-end 13 inch with 4GB and the 250GB hard drive. With the student discount I'll be getting, it'll save me a few hundred dollars.
You could save even more if you just got the base 13.3" and then do the upgrades yourself. So, So easy to do and took me less than 15 minutes, plus the time to reinstall the OS. This also doesn't impact your warrantee. The difference in performance between the 2.26 and 2.53 would be un-noticeable. The savings; very noticeable! LOL I prefer my money in my pocket instead of Apples.

Tristan

Oct 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.tristanpipo.com

Installed it on Friday. Loving it so far. Some of my xCode projects were not building in Snow Leopard. Turned out I needed to update to xCode 3.2 instead of 3.1.3. But so far another great release from Apple.

Kinda bummed it doesn't run on my PPC based Mac's I did manage to pickup a copy of the Leopard Family Pack for $60 so I updated my two machines running Tiger to Leopard.

Powerbook G4 1.5ghz and a Mac Mini 1.33 Ghz G4.

I was expecting a line at the Apple store when I got there at 8:30 since they opened at 9:30 but I was the only fool in line and was in and out of the store in about 5 minutes.

Edit: That is kinda lame how the IMG tag doesn't support PNG.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
MM, I thought you were going out to buy a copy for your wife's iMac, seems you could upgrade your MacBook Pro too with that copy!
I thought I'd get a chance to.

I might tomorrow. I am in panic mode that my summer is almost over and I didn't finish what I wanted to on the house. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well guys I got my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro updated to Snow Leopard. Since some of this I did for the pure experience of it. I decided to do a full clean install on one and an update on the other. Let me just say unless you have a lot of free time. JUST DO THE UPGRADE! LOL The process is pretty simple, you put the Snow Leopard DVD into the drive, it will start from within Leopard. If you want to do a clean install, you just click on Utilities and from there Click on Erase and Install. Leopard will reboot and from there you'll restart from the Snow Leopard DVD, once it starts, you'll then need to go into Utilities again and Erase the drive. From there it will do a clean install. The upgrade spends about 15 or 20 minutes in Leopard, before it finally reboots and then takes about 15 or 20 minutes to complete. both processes are very painless, well except that one requires hours to get everything back on it and one doesn't.

I did the clean install on my Mac Mini and of course this mean that it wiped everything and so everything had to be reinstalled. I did cheat a little using my Time Machine Backup to copy most of my files back into place.

I did run into a couple of issues nothing really major and nothing really to do with Snow Leopard as much as others just not being ready. For example, one of the programs I use to keep my PC at work and Mac Mini and MacBook Pro on the same page in terms of documents (Windows Live Sync) well I ran the install, but I can't find it anywhere. I read and some folks have had this issue while others on upgrades were able to click on it, but it won't log in. I think on my clean install the Apple installer knew it was not compatible so it won't let it actually install though it appears to do so. None the less I did find a solution called Drop Box. Fortunately they just released a newer version which works with Snow just fine. Only problem is that it creates it own folder where all your other folders will eventually be copied too. So, now when I click on documents there is nothing there. I wish like MS Windows you could tell the document folder which folder you actually want it to use.

I also had some problems with Flip4Mac, but they too have a new beta release, which seems to address the issues. I really like the way it now starts playing immediately and does buffering in the background. This can be disabled to work like it use too if you prefer.

I do find starting and shutting down, heck even going to sleep and waking up much faster. Applications do open quicker and though there are no major changes to the GUI there are a few tweaks here and there that I like.

The upgrade on the MacBook Pro was actually about 35 minutes and of course I didn't have to reinstall anything. I did have to delete Windows Live Sync and switch to Drop Box, I also upgraded Flip4Mac. Everything else seems to be running very smooth with no hick-ups to report.

Again I do recommend the UPGRADE unless you just have a crap load of stuff on your system and you want to just clean it all up in one full swoop.

Quick Time X is pretty sweet, I like the borderless look that it has, very smooth. I will continue to play around with it and I am sure find some other little tweaks here and there.

This upgrade was worth it if for nothing other that the speed boost!

Update: I finally found a way to get Drop Box to move the folder to within the Documents Folder, still not the best solution, but at least I can still get to the folder from Documents now.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Yay!!! Mail arrived early today with my SL disc!

but Booooo, I have to leave now and take care of some stuff (some vacation - painting the bedroom) :(

I'll report back later!