Major issues with Sirius SUBX2 boombox

JWBlue

Apr 10, 2009
My Sanyo CRSR-10 boombox died recently so I needed to pick up another one. Bought the Starmate 5 along with the SUBX2 boombox.

Major issues:

> The antenna did not work. It was not a reception issue. It did not work. The display on the tuner said "No antenna". I am using the antenna that came with the Sanyo. They look identical from the outside.

> I am getting a hissing sound from the boombox. It is faint but definitely clearly audible from 5 feet way. A lot of times I will listen to Sirius at night before falling asleep when there is dead silence, so it is an issue. I am wondering if it is the tuner or the boombox causing this. When I turn off the Stratus 5 tuner (but leave the boombox power on), I can still still hear the hissing for about 30 seconds. Then it goes away. I am not sure if that makes it conclusive whether the hissing is coming from the boombox or tuner. It might be some feedback coming from the tuner.

I called Sirius, and they told me it was a reception issue. I don't believe much that they tell me. I thought either you hear the signal or not, there is no in between. That is my undestanding. Is it possible to get hissing or static (which I don't have) from a Sirius tuner?

> I wonder if I were to get a working antenna that comes with the boombox, the issue would with the hissing would go away. Maybe the antennas are not completely compatable.

> Has anyone head anything good about the "SIRIUS Soloist"

SIRIUS Soloist Universal Sound System - SOLO-D1

Last edited:

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
My Sanyo CRSR-10 boombox died recently so I needed to pick up another one. Bought the Starmate 5 along with the SUBX2 boombox.

Major issues:

> The antenna did not work. It was not a reception issue. It did not work. The display on the tuner said "No antenna". I am using the antenna that came with the Sanyo. They look identical from the outside.

> I am getting a hissing sound from the boombox. It is faint but definitely clearly audible from 5 feet way. A lot of times I will listen to Sirius at night before falling asleep when there is dead silence, so it is an issue. I am wondering if it is the tuner or the boombox causing this. When I turn off the Stratus 5 tuner (but leave the boombox power on), I can still still hear the hissing for about 30 seconds. Then it goes away. I am not sure if that makes it conclusive whether the hissing is coming from the boombox or tuner. It might be some feedback coming from the tuner.

I called Sirius, and they told me it was a reception issue. I don't believe much that they tell me. I thought either you hear the signal or not, there is no in between. That is my undestanding. Is it possible to get hissing or static (which I don't have) from a Sirius tuner?

> I wonder if I were to get a working antenna that comes with the boombox, the issue would with the hissing would go away. Maybe the antennas are not completely compatable.

> Has anyone head anything good about the "SIRIUS Soloist"

SIRIUS Soloist Universal Sound System - SOLO-D1

The old antenna should work just fine with the new boombox, but the SUBX2 comes with an antenna, try that antenna and see what you get. I am thinking that it could be the antenna, but this is an easy 1st step of troubleshooting. Let me know what you find with the SUBX2's antenna. Or if you want to give me a call up I can go over some troubleshooting over the phone with you. 773-772-4340, just ask for Josh. Thanks

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
The hissing sound you are hearing is from the Boombox. As far as the radios go it's all or nothing, either you get a signal or you don't, theres no in between.