Malware Help....please!!!!

riskybzns

Oct 11, 2008
land of confusion
While trying to learn how to do torrents, I managed to pick up a pesky malware that I can't manage to remove even by using AVG. I keep running across "ads by adsupply" on my webpages.

Is anyone familiar on how to remove this so I can stop being plaqued by this bothersome sucker? If so, can you please be ever so kind and help me. Thanks!!!!

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So what do you guys do to keep your PC's or Macs healthy?

I run Malwarebytes often. I use the free version and I try to run it at least once a week, sometimes more. I find that does the job. As I've posted about before, I buy relatively cheap PC's, in the under $500 category. With proper care they usually last about 3-4 years or so. My current PC that I'm typing this post on, was purchased in August 2019 and it's still going strong. Knock on wood that stays the case for at least 2 more years. It's a Lenovo 330S.

It's kinda funny to me that my Xbox Series X is a much more powerful machine than my PC. Series X of course is brand new and has 16 gigs of RAM as opposed to the 8 for my PC. That's for top quality gaming and streaming though. It would be cool if I could also use it for regular PC functionality.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
My roommate got a deal on two PC laptops, so I went in on one. I only did it because it was a two for $500 special.

Big mistake. I really only wanted it to update the maps on my GPS. So when I went to download the drivers from Garmin, it wouldn’t let me. It said I would have to leave S Mode.

WTF is S Mode? Is that like pie a-la-mode.

So I left S Mode. The I learned that once you leave S Mode, you can’t go back in.

If I have to leave S Mode to get a driver to update my maps, then why don’t you have a S Mode map updater version?

I hate Microsoft. I’m done with them. I logged out and I’m gonna give the laptop to someone who might could use it.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
From Microsoft:

Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

I think you have to switch it to "not S mode" (which I think you did?) and then you can use apps that aren't in the Microsoft store (I assume your GPS maps app isn't in the M$ store?)

Reactions: semipenguin

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
From Microsoft:

Windows 10 in S mode is a version of Windows 10 that's streamlined for security and performance, while providing a familiar Windows experience. To increase security, it allows only apps from the Microsoft Store, and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing.

I think you have to switch it to "not S mode" (which I think you did?) and then you can use apps that aren't in the Microsoft store (I assume your GPS maps app isn't in the M$ store?)
This I did not know.
So it’s for raw-dogging.
Got it.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So what do you guys do to keep your PC's or Macs healthy?

I run Malwarebytes often. I use the free version and I try to run it at least once a week, sometimes more. I find that does the job. As I've posted about before, I buy relatively cheap PC's, in the under $500 category. With proper care they usually last about 3-4 years or so. My current PC that I'm typing this post on, was purchased in August 2019 and it's still going strong. Knock on wood that stays the case for at least 2 more years. It's a Lenovo 330S.

It's kinda funny to me that my Xbox Series X is a much more powerful machine than my PC. Series X of course is brand new and has 16 gigs of RAM as opposed to the 8 for my PC. That's for top quality gaming and streaming though. It would be cool if I could also use it for regular PC functionality.
I have a paid MalwareBytes version. I monitors browsing online. I have a free antivirus less bloated than Norton: Avast.

Reactions: JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
From Microsoft:

S mode is useless. I think it was turned off by the guy who builds the PC. Who the fuck wants to use Microsoft Edge as their browser?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No thanks. Edge can go kick rocks, Chrome is where to be.

How much is it? Do you find it worth the price?
Firefox rules.

I think it was about $40. They offered it on sale I think. It seemed good because I was always forgetting to run the free one. Comes with 2 or 3 liscecnes so my wife gets it as well. My memory is poor since it was years ago. Also can't remember if it was CA$ or US$.

Reactions: JHDK

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We got that new laptop, and the virus protection expired in 30 days, but we get free protection from our cable provider. I just had to uninstall the virus software from Best Buy that my wife couldn't get rid of.