Man, u can't tell me for a second that apple is not paying howard these days.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
cuz they spend at least 30 min a day hyping up apple products. and of course KOAB calls in to discuss ipad vs macbook talk. why would sirius allow howard to blatantly advertise so much apple stuff on air? its f*cking ridiculous.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Of course. It's like yesterday they brought up an apple product and Howard was like "Fred, tell me about this? What does it do?"

The thing is maybe it's part of the way they do ads. Howard would never risk doing ads on the side if it wasn't part of the deal with Sirius.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Maybe - not sure I buy that Howard's obsessions are all ad related. He's always had paid sponsors and never gone this overboard. I think Howard is a nut, it's the more simple explanation based on his personality. :)

Even so, I think we need to get used to it - thanks to the DVR and other recording devices, we're going back to the 1950's with product placement and show sponsorships. No one is watching regular commercials anymore.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
Why did he have to mention to the biz stone (twitter guy) so many times that he is now an apple guy. pretty sure he would have gotten the point after the first time, no need to repeat it another 5 times.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
That sounds more like a neurotic looking for approval of his major life decision which I'm sure he isn't satisfied as he wishes he was.

Apple is good but not the be all end all.

Bark

Hey Now!
Oct 15, 2008
Frederick, MD
Here's the official conspiracy theory on this, and you can thank me for coming up with it within the last 10 seconds. In fact, coming up with it was faster than typing these last two sentences.

1. Howard signs a deal with Sirius, even though he doesn't want to.

2. Howard sues Sirius for more money, causing it to either:
a. Go bankrupt, releasing him from his contract.
b. Settle, with one of the stipulations being that he is released from his current contract.

3. Howard goes to Apple and they sign a deal for Howard Stern Show podcasts in the iStore.

The reason for all of this?

AAAACy6_EtQAAAAAAFDYfQ.png

Reactions: Ehilbert1

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Don't know about the conspiracy theory. It's cute, it's possible but anything is possible.

I didn't think Apple was paying Howard until ROBIN said she went out and Got an IMAC, a big laptop and two small laptops.

There is no way she would ever find her way to an APPLE store and then buy all this and then get on the PHONE with JEFF SCHICK (howard's IBM GUY). This was most certainly ALL arranged for her.

Plus, Howard almost beat her to death about NOT having an IPHONE.

I don't mind the in show sponsorship, it's better than his live reads during the news but let's stop pretending that it isn't just that, a sponsorship.

The only doubt to me is that I can't see APPLE giving a flying fuck about whether Howard likes them or not. They been doing just FINE without Howard. that is the only thing that puzzles me.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I don't mind the in show sponsorship, it's better than his live reads during the news but let's stop pretending that it isn't just that, a sponsorship.

The only doubt to me is that I can't see APPLE giving a flying fuck about whether Howard likes them or not. They been doing just FINE without Howard. that is the only thing that puzzles me.

This is why I don't necessarily buy into it being a sponsorship, without some more hard data other than crazy Howard being his crazy self. Remember, he clung to OS/2 long after the writing was on the wall...

Howard isn't really Apple material. Steve can be surprising, but I don't think that Apple is so into Howard Stern they are paying for the amount of mentioning they are getting. Unless, to tie into Bark's theory, he is trying to *convince* them that he's worth an Apple look-see.

maxpower

Dec 4, 2008
That sounds more like a neurotic looking for approval of his major life decision which I'm sure he isn't satisfied as he wishes he was.

I agree. He did the same thing with chess. Just a passing phase by a lunatic with lots of money.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Hahaha lunatic with lots of money. I really look at them and wonder if money affects all people like that.

Today Robin said that 2,000 sq ft house was small. Howard has said similar things in the past. The one time he referred to regular lettuce as white trash lettuce I thought he was nuts. He's nuts. The more they pay for something the better it must be.

Robin is worse. At least Howard got into Apple on his own, Robin just does it as an attempt to kiss the boss' ass. It's pathetic. Anything he does, she does.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I agree. He did the same thing with chess. Just a passing phase by a lunatic with lots of money.

I'm a lunatic with lots of passing phases except I don't have the cash resources. Let me tell you how much fun that is!

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
When Howard was heavy into chess, he barely mentioned that he was playing on ICC. He would just say internet chess, generically. When listeners asked where he played, he would say Internet Chess Club/ICC but didn't say it very frequently.

For 20+ years, Howard has painted himself to be a guy who won't plug a product, EVEN IF HE LIKES IT A LOT, unless he's getting paid. There was a whole Mammary Lane segment recently where Howard gave Gary sh*t for accepting Sega devices as loaners, despite the fact that Sega wasn't a sponsor. Howard went apesh*t about it!

So, now, we have what amounts to an infomercial about Apple products DAILY. And not just endorsements, not just "it's what I use" and moving on, it's a whole thing about replace what you have, why don't you have Apple this-and-that yet, what are you waiting for, Windows is horrible, etc. etc.

In other words, somehow, someway, he is making $$$ out of the Apple praise, bottom line. As someone else mentioned, Ralph had iPads to give away on past Geek Time episodes, I really doubt anyone went out and splurged for prizes.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
also robin switched to all apple this week. but then once she went all apple, she mentioned that she ONLY is using it to surf the web since thats all she knows how to do on there.

so what was the point of going all apple in order to do the EXACT same thing u were doing previously on the PC's????

talk about someone with too much FU money and nothing to do with it.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I wish as a practical joke that Howard came in one day and said that he's eating shit sandwhiches for breakfast. He would then go on to say how great they are and all that. By the end of the show Robin would be doing the same thing. She'll come in the next day saying how great dog turds are. She's pathetic. Talk about an unlikable personality. Doesn't help that she thinks she's better than everyone else.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Considering the man was perplexed by ITUNES (and needed a team to figure out what was going on...and they still couldn't figure it out), they are not getting their monies. Considering how he talks about it sometimes, it does sound like he is getting paid. However, I think this is just yet another of Howard's childlike whims (along with photography). Sometimes his interests are interesting.....this one is not! It's yet another case of Howard rubbing his money in his fan's face. "Robin shouldn't wait a week for the new Iphone. She can afford the one for a week and then get the new one!"

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Robin is worse. At least Howard got into Apple on his own, Robin just does it as an attempt to kiss the boss' ass. It's pathetic. Anything he does, she does.

Too bad she didn't buy a grill for some meat. She's too busy flushing coffee out of her ass, or whatever the hell she does.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Today, Howard did a whole thing on not wanting to send photos because he didn't want his pics to be geotagged - I could not believe he had to involve Robin, Fred, Benjy, Gary, Jason, and Jon AND Twitter as to how to stop this - and not one of them said, JUST TURN IT OFF ON YOUR PHONE!!!! They all acted like Twitter was the cause of geotagging.

Absolutely astounding, but typical for the Apple crowd I guess. ;)

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008

Typical for a non-tech-savvy guy who doesn't want you to know when he's in the Hamptons, you mean :D

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Today, Howard did a whole thing on not wanting to send photos because he didn't want his pics to be geotagged - I could not believe he had to involve Robin, Fred, Benjy, Gary, Jason, and Jon AND Twitter as to how to stop this - and not one of them said, JUST TURN IT OFF ON YOUR PHONE!!!! They all acted like Twitter was the cause of geotagging.

I don't think any of the names you mentioned use an iphone do they?