Man, u can't tell me for a second that apple is not paying howard these days.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
He didn't invent those technologies, but before the iPod, iPhone, and iPad those devices were generally pretty horrible to use. I used to have a windows mobile "smart" phone that I got in 2006 and it was absolutely awful. The iPhone was absolutely a revolution at the time. It also prompted google to totally change android from being a blackberry knockoff to be a touch based OS like the iPhone.

I also remember that people said the iPad was just a big iPod touch and would fail. It has been a huge success and there are all sorts of thin ARM based tablets running many different operating systems now. Whether you hate or love apple, you can't claim that they have not had a huge influence on portable electronics the past ten years.

I remember back in 07 I was thinking about getting an iPhone. Then I actually went and checked it out. If you remember there was no subsidies on the iPhone at that time. So in all I would have had to pay $600 give or take a few bucks. To be honest I thought my Treo was better. I could send MMS and I had apps. Back then it was no MMS and no app store.

So no way was I going to pay that much for a phone I couldn't even send MMS on. Plus I already had an iPod touch. My Treo had a smaller screen but it was touch and the games and apps I had for it were OK. Yea the Internet sucked on it and it wasn't as refined but it worked. In my opinion the iPhone back then was basically an iPod touch with a phone built in. That changed when the app store came about.

Believe me I wanted one but with an iPod touch why pay all that money when my Treo did more at the time?

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Just having the capacitive multitouch screen with a web browser that worked was a revolution compared to the crap smartphones out at the time with their horrible squishy screens. Yeah the lack of apps and MMS was a mark against it, but the revolutionary parts of the iphone that no other phone had made a huge shift in the design and functionality of all smartphones. The fact you could pull up google maps, had a web browser that wasn't crap, and had stuff like visual voicemail was a much bigger deal than just harping on the few things it didn't have.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Also, did you wait until 3 or 4 months after the iphone was released to go check them out? Because the ipod touch came out 3 or 4 months after the iphone did. And saying your treo did more at the time is ignoring how well it did those things.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
See this is why I try to never every give my opinion on an Apple product. Some of you take this shit way to seriously and personal. It's a phone for gods sake! It's like your basically calling my a liar. Same shit happened with another Apple guy. I had my iPod touch before I messed with an iPhone yes. That is because you could not find an iPhone to check out at that time. I bought my iPod touch at Best Buy when my old white iPod crapped out. Maybe I can find a receipt for you.

I would love to meet some of you guys face to face and see if you would call me a liar in person. Like I said its just a phone and I gave MY opinion on it at the time. I even said my Treo sucked on the net. What more do you want man? If someones opinion on an Apple product pisses you off that much maybe its time to step away from the phone. My Treo did what I needed it to do at the time. Paying $600 for something that did not do what I needed it to do wasn't going to happen.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
See this is why I try to never every give my opinion on an Apple product. Some of you take this shit way to seriously and personal. It's a phone for gods sake! It's like your basically calling my a liar. Same shit happened with another Apple guy. I had my iPod touch before I messed with an iPhone yes. That is because you could not find an iPhone to check out at that time. I bought my iPod touch at Best Buy when my old white iPod crapped out. Maybe I can find a receipt for you.

I would love to meet some of you guys face to face and see if you would call me a liar in person. Like I said its just a phone and I gave MY opinion on it at the time. I even said my Treo sucked on the net. What more do you want man? If someones opinion on an Apple product pisses you off that much maybe its time to step away from the phone. My Treo did what I needed it to do at the time. Paying $600 for something that did not do what I needed it to do wasn't going to happen.

Exactly. People are going to look at a phone and make a decision based upon two things:
1) Can they afford it.
2) Does it do what they want it to do.

Now, with that said, you'll get the people that will wait in line for a week to be the first to buy it (while being interviewed by Richard and Sal), but that is a small, small minority of people.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
You would think more than just Howard are getting paid horn their choice of hardware.
I've never understood the fierce loyalty to brands like these.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK

Haha, and I'm the one taking this too serious? I just found it odd you purchased an ipod touch before ever seeing an iphone when the iphone had been on display in stores for months. I didn't call you a liar, just found it odd. I don't care either way.

I was originally responding to a different poster making it sound like all apple did was remake the same phones that other companies did and market it better to the morons who don't know better. That wasn't the case in 2007 when the iPhone was released. There weren't any phones anything like it.

Sorry, I thought this was a thread where discussions could happen, but now that I know it's just a thread where android fans can moan about how Howard is part of some Apple conspiracy for secret paid product placement I'll leave and let you all carry on.

Android fans should at least be thankful for the iphone because this was google's plan for their phone in 2006 right before the iPhone was released. It was another piece of crap like the treos, blackberrys that were already available with just different software.

This was the original 'Google Phone' presented in 2006 | The Verge

6jdgl2.jpg

And here's a prototype from 2007.
r29ric.jpg

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
See Bill here is the deal. I could give two shits less about what phone has what OS. The only reason I have an Android phone now is because of a bigger screen and customization's. I don't care who makes a phone. I am not a "fanboy" of anything like that. You came across and seemed like you were calling me a liar. I take offense to that. I have no reason to lie.

So please tell me why it is when someone gives their opinion about the iPhone and its not glowing you guys get pissed? I have seen it over and over. It's always well if it wasn't for the iPhone...... or they sell this amount so........ I personally don't give a shit either way. I'm just tired of people getting pissed when someone has a different opinion about their phone. Like I said it's just a phone to me. It's not a way of life. At least for me it's not. You know I also though the Apple forum was were I could have a conversation. No way no how. To many pissed off people when you ask a question or say something they don't like. So I get my Apple computer info somewhere else. Yea I own an iMac. I'll scan a receipt for that to if you want.

Also..... I don't really care what the "google phone" was going to be. Cell phones are the last thing on my list to give a shit about. I know some of you are so into it. I'm not. I like what I like and I will give a little review sometimes but that's it.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I agree, they are just phones.
And this thread is about bashing Howard for his dedication to Apple, not about bashing each other about our choices. Back on topic, I get the last word.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
You would think more than just Howard are getting paid horn their choice of hardware.
I've never understood the fierce loyalty to brands like these.

Watch any major TV channel. Look for celebrities in commercials. Look for TV shows that are "Driven By" or "Built By" or "Delivered By" or any such similar phrase. Look for product placement...it's all over everything.

Do that and you might be on to something.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Watch any major TV channel. Look for celebrities in commercials. Look for TV shows that are "Driven By" or "Built By" or "Delivered By" or any such similar phrase. Look for product placement...it's all over everything.

Do that and you might be on to something.

What are you talking about?

I wasn't talking about celebrities that ARE getting paid. I was talking about civilians on the web that take the "my android/apple is so superior that you are stupid for liking your apple/android" thing too seriously.

IF Howard IS getting paid it makes sense. Everyone else, not so much.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I think at this point we can all agree Howard is not getting paid by Apple. It's crazy and makes no sense. Yes he praises it, yes he promotes the newest phone/OS, but its because he is a 60 year old man who likes the ease of use of it and thinks its the best thing because of that. My parents got an ipad a year or so ago and are the same way. They tell me to come come over and look at what their cool iPad can do, and are so amazed by the stuff it does, and say "Wow! this is the best! I can't believe this.." etc etc, and I go on to say "yeah...thats cool...you know my android phone does the same type of stuff" and they usually just have a glazed over look and say "oh.." but now they sort of understand that what is amazing to them is the norm for everyone else. My dad was talking about iOS7 features and then finished the convo with "But you probably already knew that..let me guess. your tablet does that too?" Hah.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Yeah, I don't care what phone people use either, and I don't honestly think Howard's being paid by Apple. But the reason I brought this up is that Howard is spreading misinformation to the masses, about what Steve Jobs & Apple have actually created. They didn't invent anything; they improved upon some technologies in the areas of packaging and useability, and marketed them well. Howard is giving undeserved credit.

wickerbill

Jan 20, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yeah, I don't care what phone people use either, and I don't honestly think Howard's being paid by Apple. But the reason I brought this up is that Howard is spreading misinformation to the masses, about what Steve Jobs & Apple have actually created. They didn't invent anything; they improved upon some technologies in the areas of packaging and useability, and marketed them well. Howard is giving undeserved credit.

FYI, since some of you are confused. I'm not mad, don't really care. It is possible to have discussions about subjects that interest you without getting mad when someone disagrees. If I found a better phone than an iphone, I would consider switching once my contract is up.

Back to the subject at hand, I just think you're totally glossing over how difficult it is to make a good consumer device. You can't just take a cellphone radio, a touchscreen, and a battery and make a good cell phone. So maybe apple didn't invent the cellular radio or touchscreen, but to say they basically haven't invented anything is ridiculous. Same with android. There are probably hundreds (maybe thousands) of android phones. Most of them are total crap. There are a few that are just as good or better than the iphone depending on who you ask. Do you think any company starts out wanting to make a crap phone? It's hard to make a great one.

Look at microsoft. One of the biggest companies in the world and here they are six plus years after the iphone was released and their phones seriously lag in features and usability compared to android and iphones. They have the money to do it, but it's not easy to do. Blackberry is almost bankrupt because they didn't keep up when the bar moved so quickly after the iphone and android were released. I like the competition between iphone and android. It helps drive both of them forward and we all win. If you don't have that competition you end up with something like blackberry the past ten years ago where they only made incremental improvements and rested on their laurels until it was too late.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
blackberry the past ten years where they only made incremental improvements and rested on their laurels until it was too late.
And this differs from the iPhone how?

Anyway, you may like whatever you want. I'm just making the point that Howard doesn't know what he's talking about (as usual).

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Howard may not actually be getting paid by Apple, but there was definitely something going on. Whether he just had a ton of Apple stock, or more likely, he was "gifted" a bunch of that Apple sh*t. I guess he could also have stock. Anyway, the only time I ever heard him be critical of Apple is once the stock started to dip.

I'm curious to see if there's a point where someone gives him Google Glass next year, or just hear what he has to say in general about it, from his wacky Apple perspective.

ANDROID 4 LIFE, motherf*ckers!!!!! :p ;) :)

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
I wonder if howard is going to go on an ipad air rant tomorrow........I'm sure he will have to get one even tho he has an ipad 4 and ipad 3.

personally, I have an ipad 2 which is going strong still.

disappointing thing about ipad air is it doesn't have touch id. that's ridiculous.

ipad 3 was great tho. it had LTE, retina display and still used the old 30 pin connectors.