May be dropping Facebook soon

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I think this news was supposed to remain private and confidential for a few more hours but reporters had no difficulty hacking into Facebook's database and learning the details. :D

FTC approves $5 billion Facebook settlement over
long-running probe into tech giant's privacy missteps

FTC commissioners broke along party lines, 3-2, with the Republican majority lining up to support the pact while Democratic commissioners objected.

FTC Approves Roughly $5 Billion Facebook Settlement

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I'm not expecting Zuckerberg to "like" the Senator's comments.

Oregon Senator Ron Wyden thinks Mark Zuckerberg should be 'held personally accountable' for
Facebook's privacy problems, including 'the possibility of a prison term'

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

What the author doesn't seem to recognize is that Howard doesn't have to pay for the infrastructure. He also has the advantage of subscribers discovering the new, sanitized show. He can also claim he has 60 million listeners or whatever it is.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Teenagers who don't get a lot of "likes" on their online posts might become depressed. At least that's the theory. Oh, poor babies!

Following in the footsteps of Instagram, Facebook is testing hiding likes starting this week

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Teenagers who don't get a lot of "likes" on their online posts might become depressed. At least that's the theory. Oh, poor babies!

Following in the footsteps of Instagram, Facebook is testing hiding likes starting this week

I'd like your post, but, you know...

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Attorneys general from 47 states are concerned about Facebook's "size and influence in controlling information while stifling competition, pricing and service quality." Gee, we could say the same thing about the pharmaceutical industry!

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Attorneys general from 47 states are concerned about Facebook's "size and influence in controlling information while stifling competition, pricing and service quality." Gee, we could say the same thing about the pharmaceutical industry!

I've got a great idea to solve that! It's called Google+. Let's all join in!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Sorry, gentlemen, the "next big thing" will not be Google+ or Myspace. It will be Revolution Populi. We'll know it's successful and influential when Russian trolls start setting up fake accounts and spreading political propaganda.

A Yale professor and a Goldman Sachs veteran are teaming up on an eccentric new blockchain-powered social network to try to make Facebook irrelevant

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Facebook's News Tab will display clickable headlines from around 200 news sources, including NBC, Breitbart, BuzzFeed, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times and Wall Street Journal. Facebook will pay many of the publishers for their content. The News Tab will supposedly "combat the spread of fake news" – and Mark Zuckerberg probably also hopes it will benefit the company as it undergoes three antitrust investigations by the Federal Trade Commission, the House Judiciary Committee and Attorneys General from 47 US states and territories. "Here are the news headlines we want you to see." Yeah, pardon my skepticism.

Facebook unveils News Tab to combat spread of fake news, appease critics

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
We now have a new definition of "4F": Fake accounts, fake names, fake faces, fake Facebook groups.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
We now have a new definition of "4F": Fake accounts, fake names, fake faces, fake Facebook groups.

I'm not clear on why this is a problem. Am I going to be friends with a person (real or fake) I don't know? And there's always been a barrage of disinformation everywhere; why does a fake account make it any different?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

I certainly hope that this isn't a thinly veiled attempt at taking a jab at a politician that you are outspoken about.......
We don't do that on this forum.........
Those that do, won't participate here much longer......

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I'm not taking a "jab" at anyone. I merely posted a Facebook story on a thread about Facebook. I no longer talk about politicians, political parties or political issues. I even quit posting to the Political thread. That's the truth. You know it is!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
The truth is that I locked the political thread because you couldn't stop yourself from taking jabs.
We both know better about why you picked the Facebook article that you did.
Don't test my patience.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I posted the story here because it's a story about Facebook. And yes, I posted the same story on another site's Facebook discussion, albeit with a different introduction. On this site, I did not mention any politicians or political parties and I did not take a "jab" at anyone. I remained neutral. Now that I see how thin Mister Hectic's "patience" is, I know to be more circumspect regarding what I post here.

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
China's President is Xi Jinping. That's his name. It makes no sense to try to translate his name into another language. It's Xi Jinping. Period. And it really made no sense for Facebook to translate his name as "Shithole." They could always claim it's pronounced "Shi-tō'-lē" in Chinese and doesn't mean anything bad in that language.

Facebook says technical error caused vulgar translation of Chinese leader's name