Memebag Buy A New Audio Video Receiver

Discussion in 'Gadget Corner' started by memebag, Feb 3, 2017.

1. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I've been using audio video receivers since the 1980s. Back then, VHS introduced stereo and Dolby Pro-Logic matrixed 4 channel sound. In the 1990s I bought a high end Onkyo THX AVR. I still use that to power the pool speakers, but it was all composite, component and S-Video. No HDMI. Eventually HDMI became mandatory.

Nine years ago I bought a much cheaper Onkyo AVR with 2 HDMI inputs. That was never enough. It was a decent device, but recently it started to do weird things to video. Like turn everything purple for a couple of hours, or just not output video at all. It turns out this is a fairly common problem with Onkyo AVRs, caused by bad capacitors on the HDMI board. Many of them failed within the first couple of years.

So I got the OK from Mrs. Bag to replace it. Sony and Denon are highly recommended right now. I looked at the latest Onkyo, but I think I'll take a break from Onkyo. Since I hate Sony with a deep and undying passion, I went with the Denon AVR-S920W. It does Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, but I doubt I will ever set those up. It has 8 HDMI inputs and is supposed to sound pretty good.

[​IMG]
  2. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Look at you go with your bad self.
    I haven't run components in eons.
    It seems so daunting to start a system.
  3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

How do you listen to stuff at home? Soundbar? TV speakers? Do you just hate your ears?
    HecticArt likes this.
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Soundbar w/ sub. It's decent for tv.
    B&O Beo Sound for cds, satellite, and mp3's. It's better than decent for the size of our house.

A full component system would be cool, but like I said, a daunting venture.
    I've been dumping my audio money into guitar toys lately.
    memebag likes this.
  5. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

My front speakers:

[​IMG]

They are very old Optimus Pro LX5-IIs. Not great speakers, but all 5 are matched and mounted at the same height. The Linnaeum tweeters create a pretty continuous soundstage.
    JHDK, microbob, goreds2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I liked them in the Transformers movies.
    memebag likes this.
  7. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

I have a preamp and a power amp, and a separate home theater receiver. Is that out of vogue?
  8. scotchandcigar

That sounds good. My receiver is pre-HDMI, but thst just means I need another remote if I change inputs, which I never do anymore. The video goes directly into the TV, and the receiver only handles the audio.
  9. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

This damned receiver has an installation wizard that walks you through connecting everything. I might as well turn in my man card.
    scotchandcigar likes this.
  10. scotchandcigar

This is the rental home version of my TV setup. Snell center, Paradigm fronts, PSB sub, Integra (Onkyo) receiver. No surrounds for now.
    20170204_220751_resized.jpg
  11. scotchandcigar

BTW, the blank space above the TV is where the holiday decorations were, which just got put away.
    JHDK and memebag like this.
  12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

No.
    I'm just too lazy to put the effort into setting up a proper system.
  13. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

6 days later: It sounds good, but I wish I could set the audio mode to different values for different inputs.