Merry Christmas, You're Fired! (Clear Channel drops the axe)

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Clear Channel Denver stars and staffers hit during "National Firing Day"
By Michael Roberts Thu., Dec. 6 2012 at 2:13 PM Write Comment
Categories: Media

Julie Hayden.
According to multiple sources, pink slips have been distributed throughout the day at Clear Channel Denver, with on-air personalities and behind-the-scenes personnel affected. We don't have total numbers yet, but among those let go is Fox 31 reporter Julie Hayden, who confirms that she and her husband, Chuck Bonniwell, were informed this morning that they'd no longer be doing their Saturday morning program on KOA.
Also gone is KBPI's Uncle Nasty, an icon of Denver radio for more than two decades. Within the hour, he posted the following on his Facebook page:

Want to let people know this decision came from San Antonio where they think they know what you and I want and they pretend to run radio stations. It's not from my friends here in Denver. Willie was a good boss and is a great friend. I was part of Clear Channels "National Firing Day" many afternoon personalities as well as other day parts and positions like Eddie, good luck bro, were let go today across the Country and I wish them well. KBPI family this is not the end for me, though I will miss our afternoon conversations very much, it's just change. Hail to you for all the years of support KBPI family! Health and Happiness and thank you for a great run!!

Clear Channel Denver stars and staffers hit during "National Firing Day" - Denver - News - The Latest Word

For those who aren't aware, Uncle Nasty is kind of a legend around here and was one of the longer tenured DJs, having been on the air for over 20 years, until today!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Also the same reason you ask anyone 18-35 (although I say a little older) what their favorite local station is, they couldn't tell you because they don't listen. It's usually iPod, Pandora or some other internet service.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Also the same reason you ask anyone 18-35 (although I say a little older) what their favorite local station is, they couldn't tell you because they don't listen. It's usually iPod, Pandora or some other internet service.

Meh. Most that can still pick a favorite fm station that they can tolerate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Meh. Most that can still pick a favorite fm station that they can tolerate.

I am down to one Non-NPR station that I listen to consistently. Used to be two but then Clear Channel bought the other one I listened to and screwed the format. Also the reason, despite all my griping about it, that I'll likely return to Sirius one day. Unless there's a better solution.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
See? Two stations. ;)
It really is hard to beat the delivery options with sxm. If you get back to finding the content worth it to you some day it's hard to beat the flexibility.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This almost sounds sacrilege since most people around here detest the SAC channels, but I think I would probably give the Grateful Dead and Springsteen channels a good listen since I'm fans of both. As long as I don't have to deal with Customer 'service' on a regular basis.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Very small doses of the sac's for me. There aren't many bands I'd want to listen to that much. Fortunately, since the merger, CS has continually gotten better. There's always room for improvement, but the old horror stories aren't as common as they used to be.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Good to know. Nice to see an online presence as well.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
The only time my wife and I listen to a local radio station is during the last 6 weeks of the year. The local Christmas music is better than the SiriusXM ones but other than that local radio stations are crap and we are in a major metropolitan area.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Clear Channel are nothing but scumbags. We had like 5 of our local radio stations all owned by clear channel. The local stations that were not owned by CC all jumped big time in market share. Eventually clear channel sold all 5 of those stations because this small market just wasn't making them enough money. All those stations today are owned by various local owners and doing very well. These huge media companies pretty much kill off locally own stations because all they run are satellite rebroadcast stations and so their overhead is much lower. However, this market debunked that and won out. I only wish Sirius XM could have found away to get rid of those CC channels.

To do shit like this during the holidays just shows you how cut throat the bastards really are.