Microsoft sides with Apple, embraces H.264 as HTML5 web video standard

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Also in regards to quicktime. You have to blame web sites for that, they add code that causes quicktime to download. However, quicktime is part of Apple's OS and it won't die. The complaint needs to go to web site that want to use a quicktime plugin. I am pretty sure Apple isn't forcing any web sites to use this plugin.

I remember MS considered IE a part of their OS a while back and I believe they lost an anti-trust suit because of it. I am pretty sure it is iTunes which forced the download as it appreared after I installed iTunes. I have my browser settings pretty restrictive. If something gets downloaded it usually asks me first.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I remember MS considered IE a part of their OS a while back and I believe they lost an anti-trust suit because of it. I am pretty sure it is iTunes which forced the download as it appreared after I installed iTunes. I have my browser settings pretty restrictive. If something gets downloaded it usually asks me first.

That is all true, but MS has Windows Media Player which installs automatically as does Quick Time on Mac OS. None one has every complained about Windows Media Player except the European Countries.

The reason MS got in trouble for IE is because they REFUSED to allow PC Manufacturers from installing other browsers along side of it. Then when the courts tried to force them to allow it, they claim it was part of the OS and Windows could not be shipped without it. It was all lies and they got caught.

I have NEVER had Quick Time install without my permission EVER!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
FTC/DOJ mulling antitrust look at Apple-source

Apple is a computer maker, but also an OS maker, and as such, subject to the same scrutiny that got Microsoft in trouble. What Apple is doing with Flash goes beyond not supporting a plug in on the web, but dictating which development tools programmers use to write software for use on Apple products. Right now, to create an iPhone application, you have to use Apple's software and Apple's hardware.

This goes way beyond anything Microsoft ever tried to pull.

I am glad the FTC/DOJ are looking into this. It is a good thing, because I would never want to see Apple get a free pass as MS did for years.

I don't think anything will come of this, because I think they are well within their rights in buiding their own ecosystem to require those building apps for their mobile products to do so using their tools. Why because that is what will give end users the best experience. It isn't like consumers don't have choices. If you don't like Apple's closed ecosystem then you look elsewhere.

MS problem was they were declared a monopoly as they owned over 80% of the desktop market. They were forcing a lot of rules and even refusing to grant license for Windows to those that didn't agree to abide by their rules. Apple doesn't deal with other manufacturers, they do everything inhouse. I dont' see it as being the same thing.

Do I think Apple is anti-competitive and also protectionist. You damn right I do! I still don't think the FTC/DOJ will find anything they are doing beyond what they are allowed to do under the current law and that is what they have to go by.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have NEVER had Quick Time install without my permission EVER!

QuickTime is a requirement for installing iTunes on a Windows PC. If you want to use an iPod, Apple says you have to use iTunes, and you have to install QuickTime.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
QuickTime is a requirement for installing iTunes on a Windows PC. If you want to use an iPod, Apple says you have to use iTunes, and you have to install QuickTime.

You totally miss the point... MS controlled the desktop OS Market LOCK STOCK and BARREL. Apple while it has a large part of the media player market, doesn't totally own it. So, you still have a choice if you do not wish to install iTunes and Quick Time then don't buy an iPod, iPad or iPhone. In MS's case if you wanted to buy a PC what choice did you really have? Apple had about 4% of the market back then. Also lets not forget who killed Netscape and how that happened.

I still say Apple owns the hardware, the software and the ecosystem and they are well within their purview to control it anyway they choose too. If I as an individual consumer don't like it, then I buy elsewhere. The point that most you also miss is that 90% of those those that buy Apple products, actually like the ecosystem they have created.

Again I think they are terribly protectionist... the only difference between you and I is I think they are well within their discretion to be just that to a point. Where as some folks seem to think everything should be wide open.

Those that make apps for the iPhone if they don't wish to be locked into Apple's requirements, they can make software for Droid or Blackberry. Some of them actually are doing this.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
You totally miss the point...

No, I wasn't arguing that point. You said you "have NEVER had Quick Time install without my permission EVER", which just means you've always agreed to it in order to use iTunes.

But if we really want to argue the other point...

Apple has created a marketplace for software (the App Store) that some predict will generate US$1 billion per year for Apple. It is currently the only authorized way to sell software for the iPhone and iPad. While it's true the iPhone/iPad hardware market is smaller than the PC hardware market, it's also true this level of restraint of trade goes far beyond anything Microsoft ever tried. Right now, if you want to write software for iPhones, you are forced to buy a Mac. The FTC was created to stop this sort of mischief.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

That explains it. I could have sworn it gave me a choice and I said no, but perhaps I just got Quicktime Light or something.

I only use iTunes to buy music. They have a good library -- better than the other alternatives available.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Apple has created a marketplace for software (the App Store) that some predict will generate US$1 billion per year for Apple. It is currently the only authorized way to sell software for the iPhone and iPad. While it's true the iPhone/iPad hardware market is smaller than the PC hardware market, it's also true this level of restraint of trade goes far beyond anything Microsoft ever tried. Right now, if you want to write software for iPhones, you are forced to buy a Mac. The FTC was created to stop this sort of mischief.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I also don't think Apple is beholding to open their marketplace or allow others access to their ecosystem. It all belongs to them and they created all of it. It only impacts their hardware which is sold by them. No mischief there nor will any be found by this investigation.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I only use iTunes to buy music. They have a good library -- better than the other alternatives available.

This is exactly right and this is why iTunes and the marketplace Apple has established does so well. They have a huge library much of which you can't find anywhere else. They make it easy and user friendly!

There have been many others that have tried this concept, but have simply been unable to make it work!

I rarely buy stuff from iTunes, except those things I can't find elsewhere. I use Amazon a great deal and not only does their software interface with iTunes to download and add it to my library, but my iPod/iPhone and iPad fully supports it. I think as long as they support MP3's which has sort of because the defacto music format standard, them having their own propriatary standard makes no difference.

There is also 3rd party software that will allow you to manage your Apple devices too. It is just that most don't even bother because for as many complaints as we read about iTunes, honestly it isn't that bad for most consumers.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I don't disagree with any of that, but I also don't think Apple is beholding to open their marketplace or allow others access to their ecosystem. It all belongs to them and they created all of it. It only impacts their hardware which is sold by them. No mischief there nor will any be found by this investigation.

I don't see this as any different that MS at all. You seem to be looking at it through apple coloured glasses. They are both big evil corporations trying to pull the same shit or as much shit as they can get away with. The only difference is that Apple hasn't been caught --- yet.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is exactly right and this is why iTunes and the marketplace Apple has established does so well. They have a huge library much of which you can't find anywhere else. They make it easy and user friendly!

There have been many others that have tried this concept, but have simply been unable to make it work!

I rarely buy stuff from iTunes, except those things I can't find elsewhere. I use Amazon a great deal and not only does their software interface with iTunes to download and add it to my library, but my iPod/iPhone and iPad fully supports it. I think as long as they support MP3's which has sort of because the defacto music format standard, them having their own propriatary standard makes no difference.

There is also 3rd party software that will allow you to manage your Apple devices too. It is just that most don't even bother because for as many complaints as we read about iTunes, honestly it isn't that bad for most consumers.

Amazon is not available up here. There are a couple Canadian sites up here but they don't have as big a library.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't see this as any different that MS at all. You seem to be looking at it through apple coloured glasses. They are both big evil corporations trying to pull the same shit or as much shit as they can get away with. The only difference is that Apple hasn't been caught --- yet.

That is your opinion, I think there is a difference and when the FTC/DOJ finalize their investigation I don't think a single thing will be done. We shall see!

But one could say you are looking at it through your usual anti-apple view as usuall too.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is why I like Flash so much! Windows 7
dab-albums-dab-s-pic-album-picture337-flash.jpg

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
More like the REAL reason why they don't support flash. Its all about selling their flash alternative, not about improving the user experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well if their alternative works better then I am down with it because the current flash is garbage. They have had over 2 years to create a decent mobile version of flash and they sat on their ass.

I think Apple is always about the user experience., that isn't to say that this does not pan out better for them that Adobe sat on their asses. Apparently Apple was not.

I don't think this changes the fact that flash is trash! LOL