Microsoft sides with Apple, embraces H.264 as HTML5 web video standard

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
Well if their alternative works better then I am down with it because the current flash is garbage. They have had over 2 years to create a decent mobile version of flash and they sat on their ass.

I think Apple is always about the user experience., that isn't to say that this does not pan out better for them that Adobe sat on their asses. Apparently Apple was not.

I don't think this changes the fact that flash is trash! LOL

If they are so focused on user experience, then why did they approve the Monopoly game from EA Sports? It takes a fully charged ipod touch down to 20% warning in less than an hour. Even flash isn't that hard on battery life. And that's not the only game I have that absolutely kills my battery life. I like the monopoly game but I can never play it unless I'm hooked to the computer or only need 45 minutes of runtime (e.g. it's totally useless on a plane or at the airport which is why I bought it).

I have no problems with them doing a flash alternative, I just don't like their lies as to why they don't want to support flash. Just be honest and say that you are working on a solution that you feel is better. Like you've said with itunes, most people that use flash are happy with it (actually, I'd bet that the vast majority of people don't even know they are using it!) so I would hardly consider it "trash" just because some people have issues.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If they are so focused on user experience, then why did they approve the Monopoly game from EA Sports? It takes a fully charged ipod touch down to 20% warning in less than an hour. Even flash isn't that hard on battery life. And that's not the only game I have that absolutely kills my battery life. I like the monopoly game but I can never play it unless I'm hooked to the computer or only need 45 minutes of runtime (e.g. it's totally useless on a plane or at the airport which is why I bought it).

I have no problems with them doing a flash alternative, I just don't like their lies as to why they don't want to support flash. Just be honest and say that you are working on a solution that you feel is better. Like you've said with itunes, most people that use flash are happy with it (actually, I'd bet that the vast majority of people don't even know they are using it!) so I would hardly consider it "trash" just because some people have issues.

There many games that are battery intensive, but I do not see that as a reason not to approve it. If anything the developer or Apple themselves should at min post a warning. The user experience of the game is great as it is one of my favorites.

It could be that Apple lied I do not think either of us know rather they did or didn't for sure.

In regards to flash I know what it is because usually I get a prompt that says there is a problem with your flash player. I would think most likely do not have problems with it and I would never make that claim nor have I. Ultimately I think folks should have a choice, but as I said I also think Apple has a right to make whatever decision they want too. I then have a decision rather to continue to buy their products. I do happen to agree with Jobs on the current state of flash in my opinion it is trash and the sooner it dies the happier I will be. Some say iTunes slows there computer down, that is probably true. Just like flash slows down web sites and in some cases makes them absolutely horrible to deal with.

I hope Apple does come out with something that is better. I have my doubts, but we shall see. In the mean time death to flash!

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
There many games that are battery intensive, but I do not see that as a reason not to approve it. If anything the developer or Apple themselves should at min post a warning. The user experience of the game is great as it is one of my favorites.

It could be that Apple lied I do not think either of us know rather they did or didn't for sure.

In regards to flash I know what it is because usually I get a prompt that says there is a problem with your flash player. I would think most likely do not have problems with it and I would never make that claim nor have I. Ultimately I think folks should have a choice, but as I said I also think Apple has a right to make whatever decision they want too. I then have a decision rather to continue to buy their products. I do happen to agree with Jobs on the current state of flash in my opinion it is trash and the sooner it dies the happier I will be. Some say iTunes slows there computer down, that is probably true. Just like flash slows down web sites and in some cases makes them absolutely horrible to deal with.

I hope Apple does come out with something that is better. I have my doubts, but we shall see. In the mean time death to flash!

As ProperModulation stated I also have never had an issue with Flash. Not one time has my computer felt slow or slowed down. My wifes little netbook has never had a problem and it's runnung Windows 7 Premium on one gig of Ram. Hulu comes right up and plays great. Her stupid Facebook games come right up and play. Thats pretty good for one gig of Ram. I'm not saying Flash doesn't have problems. I just think it's not as wide spread as you think. Just like you don't think Itunes has wide spread problems.

I didn't know I had a problem with Itunes till I read the thread with you and memebag. Our desktop is a Dell Studio slim with a 2.4GHZ quad processor. Well also run that with 8 gigs of Ram on Windows Vista Premium. When I had to do a restore on my Ipod and my wifes it took forever. We had nothing running in the background either. It's like each Ipod froze up. I've also had 0 problems with Windows Vista. So I know that can't be it. I guess what I'm saying is just because this happened to me doesn't make me think Itunes is bad for everyone. Even though I know it happens to other people. Why can't you see that Flash isn't bad for everyone? Just because it runs bad for you doesn't mean it's trash or shit. I know thats what Apple wants people to think. After reading mrpacs article I know why. I think thats a pretty shitty thing to do. Atleast admit you want yo kill it because you have a better alternative. Not trying to argue or be a dick. Just an observation.

Also if Apple was so concearned about the users experience then why not add Flash and let the user decide if they want it? After all the web is full of flash and I know having it on my computer helps my experience. Also I saw flash run on Android and Palm Pre. It looked pretty good to me. I said this before.... I wish someone would hack an Iphone or Ipod to run Flash. I want to see how bad it really is. I bet it's not has bad as Mr Jobs wants you all to think. Flash will end up dying, but it's not dead just yet.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm not saying Flash doesn't have problems. I just think it's not as wide spread as you think. Just like you don't think Itunes has wide spread problems.

I guess what I'm saying is just because this happened to me doesn't make me think Itunes is bad for everyone. Even though I know it happens to other people. Why can't you see that Flash isn't bad for everyone? Just because it runs bad for you doesn't mean it's trash or shit.

Also if Apple was so concearned about the users experience then why not add Flash and let the user decide if they want it?

Not one time have I said that flash has widespread problems or that it is bad for everyone, not sure where you are coming up with that. I have said I think it is shit and wish it would die and I gave my reasons why. I also think that jobs comments about mobile flash is correct and they are well within there right to not include it. Do I think they should allow it, absolutely as I am all about choice.

I do not think them not allowing mobile flash equates to them not caring about the user experience. Their sales of there devices clearly show that the user experience is a good one. If having flash was that important then there are other choices but with 90 million iPhones, iPod Touch and now iPads they simple would not be selling at the pace they have. God knows tech mags and other publications have repeatedly shown all the shortcomings, but they continue to sell. Not all of them are blind crazed Apple fans either.

Like I said a hundred times Apple is highly protectionist and I do not agree with that stand, but I have enjoyed my products and have no issues with their limitations. Those products without them aren't selling as well either in terms of mobile products. That says a lot.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
A pig is a pig is a pig. A poorly written application is slower than it needs to be on any computer, no matter how fast the computer is.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
A pig is a pig is a pig. A poorly written application is slower than it needs to be on any computer, no matter how fast the computer is.

True and some are really bothered like you vs someone like me and the others in this thread that are clearly not. No doubt it could be better like so much software out there today.