Miscellaneous News Thread

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by semipenguin, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

I hear it as the F bomb version.

2. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I can hear both.

3. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Excuse me it was a gold and white dress. :p

4. scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar arrogant bastard

This.

5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Yeah, I'd love it if he dropped the f-bomb.

6. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Here an update on Douche Ducey kid.

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

A kid's got to try.

JHDK likes this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

He missing out on the real part. The love making to your wife.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. scotchandcigar

10. scotchandcigar

11. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

Story is nuts.

Man charged with kidnapping Jayme Closs and murdering her parents sits emotionless in court | Daily Mail Online

Poor girl. And for all the thought he put into killing the parents and grabbing her, he didn't put too much thought into how to keep her. Something about keeping her under the bed with weighted laundry hampers preventing her from leaving? Weird.

And 5 million bail? Why did he get any bail at all?

Also, his sister is hot:

[​IMG]

12. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

13. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

14. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I think it's ok.

It's not telling men to be pussies.
    It's saying that you don't have to act like a dick just because you have one.

semipenguin and memebag like this.
  15. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I have mixed feelings about it.

1. The sentiment it expresses gives me hope.
    2. It's a commercial for a multinational, trying to associate an ethical position with purchasing overpriced bits of plastic and steel. I try to ignore commercials, and I shave with double edge blades made in Egypt that cost $10 for a 2 year supply.
    3. I avoid the term "toxic masculinity". We already have words for bad shit men do (misogyny, homophobia, bullying, etc.) that don't associate those behaviors with any definition of "masculinity".

I've read several pieces attacking the ad. They use the term "virtue signaling", which I also avoid. It's too cynical even for me. I believe it's possible to be authentically virtuous.

The attacks reveal a sadness and pain in those men that needs attention. They are afraid that if they acknowledge the bad shit they did or the bad shit that was done to them as bad shit they will be undone. They don't have enough surplus strength or love to stand up and help stop the bad shit men do.

HecticArt likes this.
  16. scotchandcigar

Of course you do.

My thoughts on the ad:
    1) Australia must be a very different culture from us, to air an ad like that.
    2) A TV commercial sponsored by a razor company has no right to lecture me about anything serious.
    3) It plays into the populist fallacy that this moment in history is a turning point in the evolution of men. It's not. The MeToo movement is real, and it represents acceptance for women to speak out, and for men to be called out. But mankind is not undergoing an evolution. These people (the advertisers and the like-minded) think way too much of themselves, and their perceived self-importance.
    4) We live in a sad and pathetic society, if any guy looks at this commercial and says, "Oh, OK, I shouldn't be like that anymore". I detest the idea that a man would control his impulses to be sexually harassing, just because society is now telling him so. There are good people and bad people, and that will never change; it's just that now, more of the bad people will be exposed.

17. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

My thoughts on the ad:

1) Still stupid
    2) I shave with a Philips Norelco electric razor
    3) I still don't give a damn.

18. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

If it wasn't for toxic masculinity, half of us wouldn't be here

Aaron likes this.
  19. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

20. JHDK

JHDK Release Robin's Bra

"Ice disk"...I don't buy it for one second. Time to pack up and get the hell outta there Scotch, aliens are going to start coming through that thing any minute now.

scotchandcigar and Wolf like this.