Miscellaneous News Thread

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
As someone who has driven on southern California freeways many hundreds of times, I speak as the voice of experience. (For those of you who don't know, an experience is a former perience.) Most drivers on our congested freeways don't bother to signal before they change lanes. The reason? Other drivers are very protective of their "space" on the road and seldom let another driver get in front of them. Sometimes when they see another driver's turn signal, they'll even speed up (if possible). We've learned to wait until a gap opens up between vehicles and then quickly move into that lane without signaling.

You've heard of "defensive driving"? In Los Angeles we have offensive driving!

This is not only common to SoCal. It's an everywhere thing. In every state. In the city. In the country. Going into Six Flags. Going into construction.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
"DRC members: Please do not read this story. Thank you.
Sincerely,
James Quincey, CEO, The Coca-Cola Company
Ramón Laguarta, CEO, PepsiCo Inc."

Drinking two or more diet beverages a day linked to high risk of stroke, heart attacks
CNN, Feb 16 2019 2:51 AM

More bad news for diet soda lovers: Drinking two or more of any kind of artificially sweetened drinks a day is linked to an increased risk of clot-based strokes, heart attacks and early death in women over 50, according to a new study by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association. The risks were highest for women with no history of heart disease or diabetes and women who were obese or African-American. Previous research has shown a link between diet beverages and stroke, dementia, Type 2 diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome, which can lead to heart disease and diabetes.

Drinking two or more diet sodas a day linked to high risk of stroke, heart attacks - CNN

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
"DRC members: Please do not read this story. Thank you.
Sincerely,
James Quincey, CEO, The Coca-Cola Company
Ramón Laguarta, CEO, PepsiCo Inc."

Drinking two or more diet beverages a day linked to high risk of stroke, heart attacks
CNN, Feb 16 2019 2:51 AM

More bad news for diet soda lovers: Drinking two or more of any kind of artificially sweetened drinks a day is linked to an increased risk of clot-based strokes, heart attacks and early death in women over 50, according to a new study by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association. The risks were highest for women with no history of heart disease or diabetes and women who were obese or African-American. Previous research has shown a link between diet beverages and stroke, dementia, Type 2 diabetes, obesity and metabolic syndrome, which can lead to heart disease and diabetes.

Drinking two or more diet sodas a day linked to high risk of stroke, heart attacks - CNN
This is a bummer for all the people who thought that they were taking a positive step towards improving their health by drinking diet soda, which is 100% of diet soda drinkers.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The sports forum has no thread where this story would fit. Thus, I am posting it here. It is, how do you say, très étrange! Maybe some day France will also recognize the ChromaGun virtual reality game as a competitive sport.

French Fencing Federation officially recognizes lightsaber dueling as a competitive sport

Lightsaber dueling has become an official sport in France

There they were real light sabers, we'd have a lot of people with missing hands and heads

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Yes, but if certain people no longer had their heads and hands, some of these message boards would have a much friendlier tone. :p

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
IdRatherBeSkiing said:
I laugh at the French Fencing Association deciding anything is a real sport.

Then I will resist the urge to make a bad joke about the Beatles recording a French version of one of their songs: I'm Épée Just To Dance With You.

Oops.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Global warming, climate change and rising sea levels have led to the extinction of a mammal. Hey, wait a minute -- we are mammals, too!

An Australian rat, the Bramble Cay melomys, becomes the first mammal to go extinct due to climate change

An Australian Rat Becomes the First Mammal to Go Extinct Due to Climate Change

I find this difficult to believe that this is the first. Species have been going extinct for eons. I am sure at least 1 of them was probably a mammal.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Wooly mammoths. Sabre tooth tigers. Both extinct and to the best of my knowledge mammals.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk