Miscellaneous News Thread

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
At least his
I know I come off a heartless around here sometimes. Usually it's for joking purposes but this story bothered me:

I understand the backlash but don't like it. Don't have kids if you can't afford to feed them. It's really not that hard to not to have a kid. Shit, I'm super irresponsible but even in my most blacked out nights I remembered to use a freaking condom. And they cost nothing. They are cheap at Walgreen's or wherever and I'm pretty sure you can get them free at like health clinics or places like that. Worse comes to worse, there is always levonorgestrel.

And if I decided to have a kid, or if it was an accident (which I just covered how that should never happen) well then you gotta change your lifestyle to make it work. Pack a freaking PBJ lunch for the kid...don't go into debt to the school. It's crazy to me.

Now, I may be a bit more resentful about this than usual. I mentioned a breakup a week or two ago and discussions about a possible family were kinda (among other major issues) at the heart of it. I like my carefree lifestyle and don't wan't the major life change that would involve...even if it's down the road a few years I wasn't going to commit to anything disingenuously. I like going to Disney by myself whenever I choose or going out at night with no worries. I don't want to have to save all year for a 1 week trip or feel guilty if I don't get home after work right away. Shit man, I constantly worry about my cat, having a little human to take care of would give me an aneurysm. Well, fuck...I guess I'm talking about it. The fact I live with my dad these days didn't help either. I have a condo that sits empty most weeks and some people might have thought that was crazy seeing how the old man is already in a retirement community.

I'm clearly over it. Can't you all tell?

Anyway back to the point. Feed your kids.

Babies happen.

BTW, the Bible says to be fruitful and multiple. It doesn't give any other specifics.

Reactions: memebag

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
Or if your job goes away because your employer can't afford to keep everyone with a $15 minimum wage.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Or if your job goes away because your employer can't afford to keep everyone with a $15 minimum wage.
Anyone affected by this is likely making well under $15/hr. So if you're making $10/hr, you're not in a good parenting position to start with.

So you think it's good to keep paying people $10/hr, so that they continue to qualify for state/federal assistance? Are you a fan of federal assistance? Do you think the Walton family (net worth: $175 billion) will go belly-up if they pay their employees $15/hr?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Do you think the Walton family (net worth: $175 billion) will go belly-up if they pay their employees $15/hr?

No. I think they and every other retailer will increase prices to cover the expense, negating the benefit of a higher minimum wage. This will benefit people in debt, though, since inflation effectively reduces interest rates. And it will punish people who invest/lend for the same reason.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
So you think it's good to keep paying people $10/hr, so that they continue to qualify for state/federal assistance?

I think if you get a $11-12/hour job and you're responsible and realize you don't make enough to have kids, that's enough to live a reasonable and modest life in many places in the country.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I think if you get a $11-12/hour job and you're responsible and realize you don't make enough to have kids, that's enough to live a reasonable and modest life in many places in the country.
Yes, and I actually agree that it's somewhat illogical to require the same minimum wage in Mississippi as NJ. But as I said before, capitalism isn't as self regulating as some want to think. The laws of supply and demand aren't enough to get Wal-Mart to pay more than $9/hr. The worker-to-CEO gap just keeps getting wider and wider. That's why laws and regulations are needed.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Anyway, there are some people in a poor place in Pennsylvania who haven’t paid their kid’s lunch bill. I don’t know their story, but I know it must be unpleasant. Maybe they are immoral freeloaders, laughing at the school system and lighting their crack pipes with the letters threatening to take their kids away. Or maybe they are working 3 jobs and deep in debt, struggling to get by. Either way, several generous people have volunteered to pay their debt. That should be the end of it, but the school system refuses to accept the money. So this isn’t about the money. It’s about shaming poor people.

As Jesus once said, the poor will always be with us. We need to accept that.

Also, Jesus said that after a woman poured expensive perfume on his head while he was reclining at a table. Not working, not investing, just sitting there reclining and accepting charity. He could be such a welfare queen.

Reactions: scotchandcigar

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Anyway, there are some people in a poor place in Pennsylvania who haven’t paid their kid’s lunch bill. I don’t know their story, but I know it must be unpleasant. Maybe they are immoral freeloaders, laughing at the school system and lighting their crack pipes with the letters threatening to take their kids away. Or maybe they are working 3 jobs and deep in debt, struggling to get by. Either way, several generous people have volunteered to pay their debt. That should be the end of it, but the school system refuses to accept the money. So this isn’t about the money. It’s about shaming poor people.

As Jesus once said, the poor will always be with us. We need to accept that.

Also, Jesus said that after a woman poured expensive perfume on his head while he was reclining at a table. Not working, not investing, just sitting there reclining and accepting charity. He could be such a welfare queen.
Or he was just smelly.
His tour bus didn't have A/C for 3 days.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
This is freaking cool. I'd totally let the military blow up my corpse for a "blast test". I think I now finally have a solid plan for my dad's funeral too.

Reactions: scotchandcigar