More details on SiriusXM Lynx

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I got a Lynx too. It's SXM's best radio yet, and I'm 80% sure I'll be returning it to Best Buy.

Reason is, it does almost nothing more than the iPhone app except for radio replays. And thanks to the RIAA, you can only FF the music content 5 times an hour. Why pay $400 with docks for what the app does for free?

The only thing giving me pause is the easy access to 2.0 channels, but I doubt that will be enough.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Has Anyone received a Home dock from Best Buy?

I've ordered one, they sent a car dock and they have since sent me 2 more car docks thinking they are sending me a home dock.

I finally ordered a home dock from Crutchfield. Hopefully they will get it right!
I did.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
I got a Lynx too. It's SXM's best radio yet, and I'm 80% sure I'll be returning it to Best Buy.

Reason is, it does almost nothing more than the iPhone app except for radio replays. And thanks to the RIAA, you can only FF the music content 5 times an hour. Why pay $400 with docks for what the app does for free?

The only thing giving me pause is the easy access to 2.0 channels, but I doubt that will be enough.
I'm hoping they put back the love button as soon as the RIAA stuff gets worked out. This FF 5 times an hour is BS. I don't have an iphone, so the radio works for me for now. I'm sure it will get better, these things take time. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying what I have...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm hoping they put back the love button as soon as the RIAA stuff gets worked out. This FF 5 times an hour is BS. I don't have an iphone, so the radio works for me for now. I'm sure it will get better, these things take time. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying what I have...
Does FF skip 1 track or is it a FF like a cassette? Either way, that is a ridiculous restriction.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

I know with the free Pandora, you have a similar restriction. You can only skip to the next song so many times per channel before it locks you out for an hour.

However, with the paid Pandora, you can skip as many times as you wish

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I know with the free Pandora, you have a similar restriction. You can only skip to the next song so many times per channel before it locks you out for an hour.

However, with the paid Pandora, you can skip as many times as you wish
It's ridiculous that a $250 radio has little more functionality than a free cell phone app.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

Using my cell phone for music doesn't work for me, and I seldom record, so it looks like I won't have any problems with it. I agree that the restrictions stink though.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Yeah and especially the fact that many have iPod Touch's that they've already invested in, now to have to invest in another expensive piece of equipment that is half cocked, which isn't really shocking for SiriusXM.

I totally love my Skydock setup and even have one still in the box for a spare. I've yet to see anything come from SiriusXM that is compelling enough for me to spend my money on and I have it to spend. Those add on stations thus far in my opinion have been absolutely dreadful!

I don't think for many though that using their cell phone is an good alternative, but fortunately I don't have too.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I got a Lynx too. It's SXM's best radio yet, and I'm 80% sure I'll be returning it to Best Buy. And thanks to the RIAA, you can only FF the music content 5 times an hour. Why pay $400 with docks for what the app does for free?
What the hell good is this? You can't record or ff through replays? I really hope my stilettos die

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA
What the hell good is this? You can't record or ff through replays? I really hope my stilettos die
It's music you cannot ff through. I use replays to listen to Stern. You can FF through the commercials and to get to where you want to start listening. The issue is it only records the last 8 hrs that it was on Satellite. With Stern only live 2 or 3 days a week, you might miss his show because new stuff might overwrite the stuff you still have not listened too.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It's music you cannot ff through. I use replays to listen to Stern. You can FF through the commercials and to get to where you want to start listening. The issue is it only records the last 8 hrs that it was on Satellite. With Stern only live 2 or 3 days a week, you might miss his show because new stuff might overwrite the stuff you still have not listened too.
With the different home screens, couldn't you set Stern as a favorite on each and use a different one to record each day? I know it's a bit of a lame work around, but it sounded like it would work.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

danbo

Oct 16, 2009
Long Island NY
With the different home screens, couldn't you set Stern as a favorite on each and use a different one to record each day?

No this didn't work for me. I had three Howard 100 channel favorites set but only one Howard replay ever appeared.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Even so, who wants to listen to those horrible music channels without ff? They are already paying those riaa scumbags distribution payments that terrestrial radio doesnt have to pay and we are paying royalty fees. Not sure how they can say how often you ff. it's probably some douchebag programmer for sxm. One of those you don't know what you want. We know what you want types.

I came so close to selling all my stiletto stuff because I was excited about this thing. I sure feel like I dodged a bullet there.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Even so, who wants to listen to those horrible music channels without ff? They are already paying those riaa scumbags distribution payments that terrestrial radio doesnt have to pay and we are paying royalty fees. Not sure how they can say how often you ff. it's probably some douchebag programmer for sxm. One of those you don't know what you want. We know what you want types.

I came so close to selling all my stiletto stuff because I was excited about this thing. I sure feel like I dodged a bullet there.
I can't ff through live content, so I wouldn't really miss ff'ing through replays anyway. (You should be able to do it though.) I just picture using them for the rare times that I don't have live signal available.

me_rubin

Oct 11, 2008
Herndon, VA

Prior to the formal release of the Lynx there was at least one "Prototype" firmware version that had the "Love" button. I wonder who might still have that version and if could acidentilly leak out.....

Last edited:

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Also, I hooked the Lynx up to my car's Bluetooth, and it set it up like a phone.

However, unlike my iPhone, it won't stream the music to the audio system while playing.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I was thinking about getting a new radio. Now after reading all these posts I know now is not the time to get this radio. Just like shabadoo25 says.... why pay $400 for a radio when an app does the same thing for free? Seriously 5 skips an hour? No way!

By the way Hectic when you upgrade with Verizon to an LTE phone you can use your phone as your main radio. My buddy has the Razr Maxx with unlimited data of course and he hasn't dropped a signal with the Sirius App since he's had the phone.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I do miss my verizon unlimited data plan. I was grandfathered in via my alltel plan but I changed to AT&T in January. The cell reception was perfect and I could stream whenever and wherever. Now with AT&T I dont need to worry about going over data since I never get a solid data signal for more than a 15 minutes..and thats when I am at HOME. luckily I have wifi, but using it on the road is impossible. So a new radio might be a good idea for me.