More details on SiriusXM Lynx

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I was thinking about getting a new radio. Now after reading all these posts I know now is not the time to get this radio. Just like shabadoo25 says.... why pay $400 for a radio when an app does the same thing for free? Seriously 5 skips an hour? No way!

By the way Hectic when you upgrade with Verizon to an LTE phone you can use your phone as your main radio. My buddy has the Razr Maxx with unlimited data of course and he hasn't dropped a signal with the Sirius App since he's had the phone.
I can stream Slacker on my phone for hours without a problem. No data issues either since I've still got the unlimited data package. It just isn't convenient for me to use my phone for music when I'm driving. It's too much fussing around to plug it in, open an app, pick a station etc. If I get or need to make a call it's a pain to deal with too. It's easier for me to just drop a radio in the dock and go.
Even with the limitations, the Lynx still seems like a pretty good radio.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
I can stream Slacker on my phone for hours without a problem. No data issues either since I've still got the unlimited data package. It just isn't convenient for me to use my phone for music when I'm driving. It's too much fussing around to plug it in, open an app, pick a station etc. If I get or need to make a call it's a pain to deal with too. It's easier for me to just drop a radio in the dock and go.
Even with the limitations, the Lynx still seems like a pretty good radio.

Yea I feel ya. I have to drive with hand controls so I have to have a radio. Messing with a phone and hand controls is a huge no no.

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Some vehicles can stream audio and some can't even though you can have a phone call go over bluetooth. My truck can't stream audio from my phone over bluetooth but it can have a clean phone conversation.
Ok. So its not a limiatation of the Lynx but with the BlueTooth in your truck.

FlyersFan76

Nov 28, 2011
Ok. So its not a limiatation of the Lynx but with the BlueTooth in your truck.
From what others with the same truck have said yes. My wifes car can stream audio from my phone (from) from what I remember.

Since I do not have the Lynx yet (I am dragging my feet) I will definitely test both of them.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Yes it's easier of course, as it should be, we shouldn't have these ridiculous limitations on a radio this expensive.
I can't argue with that. The thing is built for these features, and we've had them before. They should be able to sort through the legal stuff and get it all up and running. I understand how much it frustrates people used to those features. I hope it's sooner than later that they can fix it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I can't argue with that. The thing is built for these features, and we've had them before. They should be able to sort through the legal stuff and get it all up and running. I understand how much it frustrates people used to those features. I hope it's sooner than later that they can fix it.
Tell you what and I am speaking only for me. I would not buy one of these on hopes and prayers of them fixing it so that all those features work. It is possible that ultimately there is going to be some pretty unhappy folks. Hope I am wrong!

Reactions: Ehilbert1

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Tell you what and I am speaking only for me. I would not buy one of these on hopes and prayers of them fixing it so that all those features work. It is possible that ultimately there is going to be some pretty unhappy folks. Hope I am wrong!
I hope you are too.
It will do what I need it to do right now, so I'm not too worried about it.
It sure doesn't have the problems the S50 had.

superflush

Nov 30, 2008
Contact them. Email or phone calls. The more people that they hear from, the more likely they will be to get a policy established. If you wait till you decide to upgrade, they may not be ready for you yet.
Sirius got back to me today. James from the Customer Advocacy Dept. said they are and will continue to make radios for the Sirius platform. I said this goes against everything else I read. He said he understood, but they just had a meeting with the sales staff for the new models that are being rolled out this year. So that is what I have been told.

I have a non-lifetime radio, Ill transfer that to the lynx later in the year. The lifetime one. I am going to wait and see what they have planned, since they are going to make new radios for Sirius.
I contacted them about transferring my lifetime to the Lynx or Edge, and they said I could do it. So, I ordered the Edge and they told me to call up and have it transferred when I received it. However, when I called up after getting the Edge in the mail, they told me that I could only transfer it to Sirius radios. So, for wasting my time, they told me that they'll waive the $75 transfer fee on any Sirius radio I buy that I want it transferred to. Is there anything out there that is worth transferring to? They recommended the Stratus 6 and the Starmate 8, but neither of them look great.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I would call back and tell them you were promised by them that you could transfer to a new edge or lynx. Insist to speak to a supervisor or someone else if they refuse and say it can't be done. Do not give up.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I contacted them about transferring my lifetime to the Lynx or Edge, and they said I could do it. So, I ordered the Edge and they told me to call up and have it transferred when I received it. However, when I called up after getting the Edge in the mail, they told me that I could only transfer it to Sirius radios. So, for wasting my time, they told me that they'll waive the $75 transfer fee on any Sirius radio I buy that I want it transferred to. Is there anything out there that is worth transferring to? They recommended the Stratus 6 and the Starmate 8, but neither of them look great.
I'd call them back and complain. That's not cool to do that to you. If the person you talk to says they can't help, ask to speak to their supervisor. If they can't help, ask to speak to theirs. If not, hang up and call back.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
I would call back and tell them you were promised by them that you could transfer to a new edge or lynx. Insist to speak to a supervisor or someone else if they refuse and say it can't be done. Do not give up.
I'd call them back and complain. That's not cool to do that to you. If the person you talk to says they can't help, ask to speak to their supervisor. If they can't help, ask to speak to theirs. If not, hang up and call back.
Definitely, espcecially since the Edge has turned out to be a really good radio with the extra channels. I'd hate to see your purchase go to waste.

superflush

Nov 30, 2008

This is basically what I did. They just said that it wasn't technically possible.

Has anybody had success getting their Sirius Lifetime transferred over to the Edge or Lynx?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is basically what I did. They just said that it wasn't technically possible.

Has anybody had success getting their Sirius Lifetime transferred over to the Edge or Lynx?
There is one guy here that has done it, so we know they can. I wouldn't give up. It's hard to find the post surfing from my phone, but if you can't find it, we'll help you out.