MySXM (My Control) *Personalized Streaming* for SiriusXM

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Official Press Release:

SiriusXM Launches MySXM

> MySXM empowers listeners with the fusion of personalization and SiriusXM's curated commercial-free music and comedy channels to create radio's best listening experience

> Enhanced music discovery, increased library size, and many more channel-specific user controls

> Allows listeners to easily create over 100 variations of each of more than 50 SiriusXM channels for unlimited hours of listening

Sirius XM Radio today announced the launch of MySXM, an innovative personalization feature that empowers SiriusXM Internet Radio listeners with the ability to easily personalize existing SiriusXM commercial-free music and comedy channels to create a more tailored listening experience.

On SiriusXM channels with the MySXM feature, listeners can easily adjust each channel's unique controls for a more custom fit listening experience, including the ability to hear thousands of songs performed exclusively for SiriusXM. Channel-specific sliders allow users to create over 100 variations of each of more than 50 SiriusXM channels by adjusting characteristics like library depth, familiarity, music style, tempo, region, and multiple other channel-specific attributes. SiriusXM will add more channels to its MySXM channel line-up over time.

"MySXM is a personalization feature built to enhance our already well-loved curated commercial-free music and comedy channels and make an already amazing listening experience even more personal," said Scott Greenstein, President and Chief Content Officer, SiriusXM. "Our experts set the stage giving you the tools to make the channel your own. You decide how involved you want to get and where you want to take your channel."

With MySXM, SiriusXM listeners can personalize their experience to hear more of the music and comedy they love and less of what they don't, whether it's more grunge rock on Lithium, less euro on 1st Wave, more established comedians on Raw Dog Comedy, or less teen pop on SiriusXM Hits 1.

MySXM combines SiriusXM's programming and curation expertise with powerful algorithms to create a personalized listening experience for SiriusXM Internet Radio listeners. SiriusXM will employ continuous innovation and improvement, offering new features and capabilities to listeners with even more options to enjoy its expertly curated content.

MySXM is available at no extra charge to SiriusXM Internet Radio subscribers for unlimited hours of listening on the SiriusXM Internet Radio App for iPhone, iPod touch, and Android-powered smartphones and other connected devices and at siriusxm.com.

MySXM joins a lineup of SiriusXM Internet Radio features that also includes SiriusXM On Demand, giving subscribers the ability to choose episodes from a catalog of more than 300 shows and over 3,000 hours of content to listen whenever they want. Subscribers listening via the Apple iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, or Android smartphones and other connected devices can also store select On Demand content for a period of time on their devices for offline listening.

Additional SiriusXM Internet Radio features include Start Now giving listeners the ability to go back up to 5 hours to listen to previously broadcast SiriusXM content on their own schedules. Listeners can also use the Tune Startâ„¢ feature to automatically start the currently playing song from the beginning so they hear the whole song when tuning to any music channel. In addition, listeners can also pause live SiriusXM programming and pick up where they left off, replay a song or segment, or skip forward to hear what's playing next.

Listeners can register for a 7-day trial to listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio. For more information on SiriusXM Internet Radio, please visit SiriusXM Internet Radio - SiriusXM Radio.

Attachments

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Anyone know how to specifically get these "songs performed exclusively for SiriusXM" or are they just included in the playlists?

I know with Coffee House & Bluesville, you can pick all Live on the sliders.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Anyone know how to specifically get these "songs performed exclusively for SiriusXM" or are they just included in the playlists?

I know with Coffee House & Bluesville, you can pick all Live on the sliders.
I'm betting that's what they were talking about.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I haven't really listened much since the beta first came out and went back today as work was quite noisy and needed headphones.

I am listening to a modified 80s channel. I am really liking it. Even at the middle setting of familiarity, I am hearing stuff I don't normally hear. I tried to make it slightly unfamiliar but it seemed to make it way unfamiliar. I ran out of skips. Did find a workaround though. Switch back to live and then back to MySXM and you get a new song.

Love the setting which makes it early 80s!

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have noticed that it cuts off the last 1 or 1/2 second of a song often.
Tune mix on the Lynx does that too. It's from the DJ's fading the songs.
Sometimes you hear a blip from the next song (that it skips to match your custom settings) before the real next song plays.
It's only a slight distraction.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sometimes you hear a blip from the next song (that it skips to match your custom settings) before the real next song plays.
Sometimes the beginning too. I wish they could find a way to add DJs too it too. But perhaps the one of my choosing.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008

So we've figured out how MySXM works, but I'm confused now. The DJ plays the "real" channel as they've always done, but somehow the MySXM gets programmed off that real feed?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
So we've figured out how MySXM works, but I'm confused now. The DJ plays the "real" channel as they've always done, but somehow the MySXM gets programmed off that real feed?
It sounds like the Tune Mix does. I think the Lynx caches live stations into your replays folder then cycles through them when you hit tune mix. So I believe that you're listening to generally/almost live radio. It's about the only way jump between stations and start at the beginning of songs over the satellite feed.

sjam613

Oct 5, 2012
New Milford, CT
Really used it a lot today for the first time with Classic Rewind and enjoyed it. Only complaint (and no different than before) is the Are You Listening popping up. Was working on my deck and just wanted the music playing without having to deal with it on occasion.

marcmag

Mar 3, 2009
I posted these questions on the Facebook page for SiriusXM Pops and they were deleted, so I thought I'd try here. They are applicable to the hosted channels and various niches in most of the music categories:

When I was offered a beta of the new player, with Symphony Hall as the only classical option. I didn't choose it, but I saw some of the controls for era, style, etc., and it makes we wonder:
• What will this do for hosted channels? Will it be like the Pops jukebox was during the Holiday Pops period, unhosted and broken up by promos? Or will there be canned tracks introducing pieces that will come up in the mix. Either way, for those of us who appreciate the hosts, it seems like a bad direction. If we wanted to use Pandora, Slacker or Music Choice (host-less music), we would have done so by now.
• If we are given these tuning controls, what will be the difference be on the streaming (vs. live) Pops and Symphony Hall channels, other than the length of the pieces, when all is said and done?

I like my Pops, with the hosts thank you very much. What do the beta testers think is coming?

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I posted these questions on the Facebook page for SiriusXM Pops and they were deleted, so I thought I'd try here. They are applicable to the hosted channels and various niches in most of the music categories:

When I was offered a beta of the new player, with Symphony Hall as the only classical option. I didn't choose it, but I saw some of the controls for era, style, etc., and it makes we wonder:
• What will this do for hosted channels? Will it be like the Pops jukebox was during the Holiday Pops period, unhosted and broken up by promos? Or will there be canned tracks introducing pieces that will come up in the mix. Either way, for those of us who appreciate the hosts, it seems like a bad direction. If we wanted to use Pandora, Slacker or Music Choice (host-less music), we would have done so by now.
• If we are given these tuning controls, what will be the difference be on the streaming (vs. live) Pops and Symphony Hall channels, other than the length of the pieces, when all is said and done?

I like my Pops, with the hosts thank you very much. What do the beta testers think is coming?

Hopefully they won't do away with the "traditional radio" format. Keep in mind that there's still millions of satellite radios out there both in cars and the PnP variety. OTOH, maybe some of us don't like the 90s "chick rock" such as No Doubt, Hole, etc. Now, we don't have to have it. Maybe we want Margaritaville with hardly any Jimmy Buffet. We now have it. I've had songs come up that the "main channel" never plays! :)

Five options and three sliders. That's how many different options? Plus add in the original channel as well. :bigthumbup:

As far as the classic channels, I really can't help you there.