Need new vacuum cleaner--any suggestions

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by Vargas, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Our old $60 Hoover has pretty much conked out on us and we need a new vacuum cleaner and thought I would open it up to suggestion from you fine people.

We're NOT going to by a Dyson, I don't care if they're awesome or not. Looking to spend up to a $100.

We prefer to have BAGGED vacuum cleaners due to the dust and everything that comes out of a BAGLESS one when you dump the canister in the trash but could be sold on a BAGLESS.

What do you have? What do you recommend?

Stupid thread? Yes!! But when you are neurotic about your carpet, these things matter!

2. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

We have a Kenmore. I'm not anal about the carpet. Sometimes when the cat pukes on it we'll clean it up. Sometimes.

3. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Eureka Boss Smart-Vac, $140 at Amazon. Consumer Reports rated it above the Dysons. I don't think you can get anything decent for less than $100.

4. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

SWEET!!

Looking at the amazon info and reviews. This is added to the list.

5. voliconjoe

voliconjoe Well-Known Member

Any of the baggless ones are good BUT you need to clean the filters real well when it starts loosing suction. I turned my leaf blower on mine (I think it's a dirt devil) and it works the nuts now.

6. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Here is my perceived problem with bagless but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Instead of a bag they use, typically, a clear canister where the dust and debris is kept. When you're done vacuuming, you have to remove this canister and dump it into a trashcan. Most likely, you have to bang it on the trashcan a few times to get all the shit out of it and then, the dust clouds up and gets all over your carpet, floor again.

Am I wrong on the whole baggless thing?

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Why don't you ask the other women in your sewing circle? :jj:

8. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

This thread sucks...
    :p

Vargas likes this.
  9. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Cuz we don't meet again until Thursday and I need to get this handled now!!

[​IMG]

10. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

This thread just got interesting.

11. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

It seems like if that was the case, I'd just take it outside to empty it.

ETA: I don't avoid Dysons for any other reason than I'm too cheap to spend $500 on a vacuum cleaner.

12. jmcmahan

jmcmahan Member

Most of the time you'd tell someone to buy something that doesn't suck but, in your case I'd buy something that sucks.

13. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

14. MAJ Badmotherfarker

That happens, but bags leak as well. All I know is that the dyson picks up a TON of crap that I can't even see. When I vacuum upstairs, it fills the container up even when the carpet looks clean. I had no idea just how much pet hair was around till I bought a dyson.

15. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

No banging required on my Dyson. Pricey but very effective. Rock solid after ~ 10 years and still sucking.

16. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

When you go into the store, ask if it works on blood. . . . like 7 or 8 times. . . . and keep looking at the door and checking your watch. :shifty:

17. hyson

hyson Forum Jerk

Yeah, it sucks that Dyson isn't one of your options.

Not only does it rhyme with Hyson, they'll suck the white off of rice.

When my dyson eventually dies, it's a no question decision -- dyson all the way.

18. MAJ Badmotherfarker

Same here. It's a cost to benefit equation - new carpets cost a lot, a Dyson costs a few hundred, I'll pay for the vacuum rather than new carpet.

19. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

This is the stuff I live for!!!

20. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

But Consumer Reports says the Eureka cleans better, and costs about 1/3rd as much.