Need new vacuum cleaner--any suggestions

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Our old $60 Hoover has pretty much conked out on us and we need a new vacuum cleaner and thought I would open it up to suggestion from you fine people.

We're NOT going to by a Dyson, I don't care if they're awesome or not. Looking to spend up to a $100.

We prefer to have BAGGED vacuum cleaners due to the dust and everything that comes out of a BAGLESS one when you dump the canister in the trash but could be sold on a BAGLESS.

What do you have? What do you recommend?

Stupid thread? Yes!! But when you are neurotic about your carpet, these things matter!

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
We have a Kenmore. I'm not anal about the carpet. Sometimes when the cat pukes on it we'll clean it up. Sometimes.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Eureka Boss Smart-Vac, $140 at Amazon. Consumer Reports rated it above the Dysons. I don't think you can get anything decent for less than $100.

voliconjoe

Jan 11, 2011
Any of the baggless ones are good BUT you need to clean the filters real well when it starts loosing suction. I turned my leaf blower on mine (I think it's a dirt devil) and it works the nuts now.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Any of the baggless ones are good BUT you need to clean the filters real well when it starts loosing suction. I turned my leaf blower on mine (I think it's a dirt devil) and it works the nuts now.

Here is my perceived problem with bagless but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Instead of a bag they use, typically, a clear canister where the dust and debris is kept. When you're done vacuuming, you have to remove this canister and dump it into a trashcan. Most likely, you have to bang it on the trashcan a few times to get all the shit out of it and then, the dust clouds up and gets all over your carpet, floor again.

Am I wrong on the whole baggless thing?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Our old $60 Hoover has pretty much conked out on us and we need a new vacuum cleaner and thought I would open it up to suggestion from you fine people.

We're NOT going to by a Dyson, I don't care if they're awesome or not. Looking to spend up to a $100.

We prefer to have BAGGED vacuum cleaners due to the dust and everything that comes out of a BAGLESS one when you dump the canister in the trash but could be sold on a BAGLESS.

What do you have? What do you recommend?

Stupid thread? Yes!! But when you are neurotic about your carpet, these things matter!

Why don't you ask the other women in your sewing circle? :jj:

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Why don't you ask the other women in your sewing circle? :jj:

Cuz we don't meet again until Thursday and I need to get this handled now!!

sb10066000g-001.jpg

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Instead of a bag they use, typically, a clear canister where the dust and debris is kept. When you're done vacuuming, you have to remove this canister and dump it into a trashcan. Most likely, you have to bang it on the trashcan a few times to get all the shit out of it and then, the dust clouds up and gets all over your carpet, floor again.

It seems like if that was the case, I'd just take it outside to empty it.

ETA: I don't avoid Dysons for any other reason than I'm too cheap to spend $500 on a vacuum cleaner.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.

That happens, but bags leak as well. All I know is that the dyson picks up a TON of crap that I can't even see. When I vacuum upstairs, it fills the container up even when the carpet looks clean. I had no idea just how much pet hair was around till I bought a dyson.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut

No banging required on my Dyson. Pricey but very effective. Rock solid after ~ 10 years and still sucking.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
When you go into the store, ask if it works on blood. . . . like 7 or 8 times. . . . and keep looking at the door and checking your watch. :shifty:

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Yeah, it sucks that Dyson isn't one of your options.

Not only does it rhyme with Hyson, they'll suck the white off of rice.

When my dyson eventually dies, it's a no question decision -- dyson all the way.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Yeah, it sucks that Dyson isn't one of your options.

Not only does it rhyme with Hyson, they'll suck the white off of rice.

When my dyson eventually dies, it's a no question decision -- dyson all the way.

Same here. It's a cost to benefit equation - new carpets cost a lot, a Dyson costs a few hundred, I'll pay for the vacuum rather than new carpet.