need some advice on the ipod touch

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
preface: i dislike all apple products and try to avoid them at all possible. don't ask why, i have my reasons. so me asking for advice on apple products is a big concession on my part.

i listen to a lot of online radio and i also want to keep informed in the news. i already have an mp3 player so i don't necisserily need a new one. i want a device that will let me listen to online radio at wireless hotspots and will also connect to the web as well. would the ipod touch be a low-cost good way to go or would another device be better?

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
Yes that works well for me. You can use the free apps for AOL Radio (which has CBS Radio stations) and iheartradio.com (which has Clear Channel). You can also download Wunder Radio which is $5.99. Wunder Radio is worth it, IMHO, because it will let you listen to just about any station that streams. It uses the feeds from Radio Time and does an excellent job. You can also get NOAA Weather Radio and some scanner frequencies in there too. It sounds like the iPod Touch will provide you what you are looking for.

GAMER

Oct 27, 2008
Yes that works well for me. You can use the free apps for AOL Radio (which has CBS Radio stations) and iheartradio.com (which has Clear Channel). You can also download Wunder Radio which is $5.99. Wunder Radio is worth it, IMHO, because it will let you listen to just about any station that streams. It uses the feeds from Radio Time and does an excellent job. You can also get NOAA Weather Radio and some scanner frequencies in there too. It sounds like the iPod Touch will provide you what you are looking for.

To add to what the above poster said, once you have an i pod Touch you may discover that it is superior to all the other MP3 players in many ways, you defiantly can't go wrong in getting one. I had a SONY mp3 player and I must say the sound quality is better with the Touch.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
i did go ahead and get one, but believe it or not, i don't really care much about sound quality. i listen mostly to audio books and talk programs. as long as the source file isn't recorded too horribly i'll listen to it.

i am very happy with my mp3 player that i have now. the battery on it is getting suspect. i think that there is a loose connection inside the case, i just don't have any screwdrivers small enough to open up and check.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
okay, it came in today. now i have another question: i want nothing to do with itunes. is there another program that will do the same thing itunes does without being itunes?

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
If you want to update any firmware updates for the iPod touch (as well as get any apps), you will need iTunes. That's one of the main requirements for all iPods.

Give in to your hate and download it. You're not required to buy anything from iTunes if you don't want to. Once you see some of the apps that you can get for the touch, you may think differently.

*uses Jedi mind trick* iTunes is your friend. :D

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
no, itunes is NOT my friend. i really would rather go without it. i play my playlists with winamp, my single files with media player classic and use winamp as my podcast program. i can do everything i want without itunes with winamp except activate the player, which royally sucks. :grr:

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Then the iPod touch is not for you, young grasshopper. You should return it right away. The Zune will probably fit your needs more...unless you have a hatred towards Microsoft as well.

*I can't believe I recommended a Zune to someone. Please lock me up!! :rofl2:

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
The Nokia N800 might work for you. I don't have one but you can find video reviews about it on youtube. You can browse the web and listen to shoutcast via wifi.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
Then the iPod touch is not for you, young grasshopper. You should return it right away. The Zune will probably fit your needs more...unless you have a hatred towards Microsoft as well.

*I can't believe I recommended a Zune to someone. Please lock me up!! :rofl2:

LOL-Zune rocks!

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
no, itunes is NOT my friend. i really would rather go without it. i play my playlists with winamp, my single files with media player classic and use winamp as my podcast program. i can do everything i want without itunes with winamp except activate the player, which royally sucks. :grr:
I think a zune might be what your looking for-the only thing is you cant stream with it-me i put some podcasts on it and alot of music-i use it in the car and anywhere else where im not near a computer,until the zune phone comes out anyway:yesshake:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
No offense by why on earth would you get an iPod knowing it is married to iTunes? You can't break that relationship, they are madly in love and they don't cheat on each other. LOL

Given what you want to do, you could go with just about any MP3 player on the market.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
because i know that there are some programs that can actually work with the ipod. i know winamp does. you can synch with it with some older models. how old, i don't know because i never used an ipod before. i also know there are itunes alternatives. looking around, right now what i have is too new. its the itouch 2nd generation, people haven't developed 3rd party programs for it yet. i know that some are on the way because i have read a lot of messages saying how much they love the player but hate itunes.

it's good for what i want which is to have the occational podcast and the ability to surf the web and stream radio on a wifi network. i don't listen to music radio and the stuff i want to listen to is not local, so it helps there. i still carry my other mp3 player in my pocket.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Does not sound like enough sugar for a dime to me and defeats the whole purpose of getting an iPod to begin with. Simplicity!