Neil Peart Picks 10 Best Rush Songs

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Rush week?????
Do you guys get the whole week off from work?
That settles it. I'm moving to Vancouver.

Limelight at #6?????
What, is he crazy????!!!!!

Good find Drew.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I totally, 100 percent agree with Neil's list. I love "Time Stand Still" for the same reasons as Neil. And "Spirit of Radio" is the best Rush song.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Wow, Limelight is the cheesiest, most radio-friendly song on album full of great songs, by a band who is certainly not well represented by cheesy radio-friendly songs. Get a grip.

Reactions: HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Wow, Limelight is the cheesiest, most radio-friendly song on album full of great songs, by a band who is certainly not well represented by cheesy radio-friendly songs. Get a grip.

Listen, Rush songs CAN'T be measured by bitrate alone.....
There's more to it than that.

Sure, it's radio friendly, but there's a lot of awesomeness in the thing. The chord structure, arpeggios, drive. It's a solid rock song with a lot of subtle qualities layered under the surface. It's ok that people don't have to work too hard to understand it.

Besides, they have done songs much cheesier than that.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
There are always two ways to look at a song:

1) What the average listener hears. This usually defines the song in terms of its genre, its cool factor, etc.

2) What musicians hear. This involves some of what Hectic said: chords, production, lyrics, etc.

Great songs don't have to rate highly in both categories. Great songs can be easy to play, or they can require virtuoso skills that may not sound complex but are incredibly hard to play. I'd guess that Limelight score a little lower than some Rush songs in category 1 (although it's a great song, nice crunchy riff) and is right up there with some of Rush's more difficult stuff in category 2. Being a musician, Hectic is going to weigh category 2 more heavily.