New channel "Top 1000 Countdowns"

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
This is the first time I've stepped outside of the 'Decades, Pop, Rock' thread. Didn't realize there were all of these other threads like Catch Of The Day, Best & worst band names, etc. It's like I stepped out of the Matrix or something.

Anyhoo, there's a new channel #177 'Top 1000 Countdowns'. I'm guessing the Top 1000 on 80s on 8 was such a success they made a whole channel for it. When I stumbled on it, they were doing the top 1000 alternative songs. It was in the 500's, playing Reel Big Fish, then Pearl Jam.

I'm a sucker for countdowns. We'll see if I get sucked in...

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
1000 is a real long countdown, And then you miss a couple and you wonder what songs were there. And then you have to time your life so you can hear the top 10.

Reactions: sadchild

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
This is the first time I've stepped outside of the 'Decades, Pop, Rock' thread. Didn't realize there were all of these other threads like Catch Of The Day, Best & worst band names, etc. It's like I stepped out of the Matrix or something.
Take the red pill!!!!

Glad you ventured out.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@IdRatherBeSkiing Funny I was thinking the same thing this morning when I tuned in and they're now in the 300s. I was also thinking it would be better to run 8 countdowns simultaneously, three hours a day for each. So if you want the alternative countdown, you know to tune in from 6pm to 9pm (or something like that) and you can track it.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Many of these threads have been around since 2008. If you ever make it to The Studio Lounge (where we spend most of our time), your head might explode.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
The top 1000 alternative songs countdown just finished. I documented the top 30 for anyone interested. Before I post their rank, here they are alphabetically in case anyone wants the challenge of trying to pick which ones are in the top 5.

Alanis Morissette 'You Oughta Know'
Clash 'Should I Stay Or Should I Go'
Coldplay 'Yellow'
Cure 'Just Like Heaven'
Depeche Mode 'Enjoy The Silence'
Foo Fighters 'Everlong'
Foster The People 'Pumped Up Kicks'
Green Day 'Basket Case'
Joy Division 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'
Killers 'Mr Brightside'
Linkin Park 'In The End'
Nine Inch Nails 'Closer'
Nirvana 'Come As You Are'
Nirvana 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'
Oasis 'Wonderwall'
Pearl Jam 'Alive'
Pearl Jam 'Jeremy'
Radiohead 'Creep'
Red Hot Chili Peppers 'Under The Bridge'
REM 'It's The End Of The World'
REM 'Losing My Religion'
Simple Minds 'Don't You Forget About Me'
Smashing Pumpkins '1979'
Smiths 'How Soon Is Now'
Soundgarden 'Black Hole Sun'
Twenty One Pilots 'Ride'
U2 'Pride In The Name Of Love'
U2 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'
Violent Femmes 'Blister In The Sun'
White Stripes 'Seven Army Nation'

Hints. #1 is obvious. #2 is a really old song. #5 shocked me, doesn't feel like an alt song to me though I suppose First Wave probably does play. Good luck!

Reactions: scotchandcigar

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I agree with your 1-2 guess. This is why I dislike lists. Most of these songs are good, many of them are Alt Rock, but I can only go along with half this list. Some of the songs are not Alt Rock - Losing My Religion?! - and other songs seem to have been picked because of their Billboard chart rank. How about Radio Free Europe for REM, instead of two pop hits? How about any song from Siamese Dream instead of 1979 for Smashing Pumpkins? Black Hole Sun for Soundgarden is lame, and no Alice in Chains? And Under the Bridge from RHCP? Come on!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Sorry, ladies and gentlemen, but I haven't made lists for any of the countdown programs, mainly because I feel the same way Mister scotch does: The rankings are overly subjective. They omit songs that should be included and they include songs that should be omitted. Billboard ranked the top alternative rock songs and Uprising by Muse is number one. Really?

In January, DigitalDreamDoor.com ranked the 250 best alt-rock songs. Number one is Smells Like Teen Spirit. (I think Weird Al Yankovic's parody is much better.) Ignore the title of this page. The list has 250 songs.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
@HecticArt You nailed the top 2 dude! And put #5 at #4. Damn, nice job! [ 1,2,9,26,4 ]

30 Depeche Mode "Enjoy The Silence"
29 Nine Inch Nails "Closer"
28 Foster The People "Pumped Up Kicks"
27 Soundgarden "Black Hole Sun"
26 REM "It"s The End Of The World"
25 Twenty One Pilots "Ride"
24 Pearl Jam "Alive"
23 Smiths "How Soon Is Now"
22 Smashing Pumpkins "1979"
21 U2 "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
20 Foo Fighters "Everlong"
19 Violent Femmes "Blister In The Sun"
18 Oasis "Wonderwall"
17 Killers "Mr Brightside"
16 Green Day "Basket Case"
15 Clash "Should I Stay Or Should I Go"
14 Nirvana "Come As You Are"
13 Simple Minds "Don"t You Forget About Me"
12 REM "Losing My Religion"
11 Linkin Park "In The End"
10 Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know"
09 Coldplay "Yellow"
08 Radiohead "Creep"
07 Cure "Just Like Heaven"
06 Pearl Jam "Jeremy"
05 U2 "Pride In The Name Of Love"
04 Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under The Bridge"
03 White Stripes "Seven Army Nation"
02 Joy Division "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
01 Nirvana "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
If Memebag were here, he'd say "what kind of music is alternative?" We had a big argument about it once. Of course, it represents an alternative to pop and mainstream rock.

So wtf is alternative about #s 4, 5, 7, 9, 12, 18 or 22? The whole concept makes no sense. No Talking Heads, Sonic Youth, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips, New Order, B-52s. Absolute trash.

sadchild

Dude
Mar 28, 2016
NH
www.asimplecomplex.com
Each song on that list falls into one of 5 categories for me. Actually, that's a lot of categories for 30 songs aint' it? Anyhoo..

1) Agree it's one of the best 30 alt songs of all time, regardless of whether I like it or not (1,8,11,12,14,15,29,30)
2) Agree it's a great alt song, regardless of whether I like it or not, but certainly don't think it's a top 30 (2,3,19,25,28)
3) Hate the damn song, but yes I can see it being somewhere on the top 500 cuz people somehow like it (9,16,17,23,26)
4) Not really an alt song (even if the band has some other songs that are alt) (4,5,6,10,13,18,20,21,22,24,27)
5) Agree it's a great alt song and I'd put it in my personal top 30 alt songs, but shocked it ended up so high here (7)

Reactions: Aaron and HecticArt

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I kept forgetting to tune in.
Just switched over for a while.
I have a feeling I'll have similar reactions as your 5 categories, albeit I haven't actually stopped to organize or categorize as such.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I was planning to post an analysis like Sadchild, but right now I'm listening to 1st Wave, and they just played Lust for Life by Iggy Pop, Mirror in the Bathroom by English Beat, Pop Song 89 by REM, and Hungry Like the Wolf by Duran Duran. All better alt rock songs than most of the top 30. So I'm just going to give up.