New Delphi Myfi Problem

romad

Jul 3, 2013
This past week while I was in Prescott, AZ my radio started doing a weird power down/power up thing. It would power down for about 10 seconds then power up and work for another 10 - 15 seconds, then repeat several times before working fine until the next day. It had worked fine most of the day but started doing this when I came out of a movie theater. I thought it might be the Car adapter or power adapter.

Well, now that I'm back in California I put the MyFi in the mount installed in my Jetta with power hardwired, and the same thing happens where it didn't before. It works fine after a few of these cycles. Maybe it has to warm up from generated heat?

Anyone have a similar problem?

Reactions: hyson

romad

Jul 3, 2013
One of my older (non-Delphi) radios did something similar. I replaced the battery and it took care of it.

This is a fairly new battery, less than 2 years old. The battery it replaced was the original battery from 2005.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This is a fairly new battery, less than 2 years old. The battery it replaced was the original battery from 2005.
If the battery gets too hot or too cold I think they go a bit wonky. I remember reading about that on forums back in the day where everybody had an AirWare or a MyFi.

romad

Jul 3, 2013
I know that my unit display conks out when it is too hot; I fixed that by aiming one of my center vents at it so the cold A/C air hits it. I'll order a new battery and see what happens.

romad

Jul 3, 2013
I know that my unit display conks out when it is too hot; I fixed that by aiming one of my center vents at it so the cold A/C air hits it. I'll order a new battery and see what happens.

Well, I decided to try reconditioning the battery first. I brought the unit inside and mounted it into the Home cradle. I then let it charge for 48 hours before putting it back in the car. It has worked flawlessly since. I still ordered a new battery to have on hand.

romad

Jul 3, 2013
I've had mine since June of '05; I move it to whichever car I'm driving at the time. Usually this is between my Miata and my Jetta Wagon TDI, with occasional trips in my wife's Prius; right now the Miata is in storage so it is mostly in the Jetta.

fmZCHFf.png

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
Wow what a tough old beast. After I disconnected my Inno's all but one turned into digital mush. Don't cancel it until you're ready to give it up.

romad

Jul 3, 2013
Well, I DID have to replace the original battery in January 2017. I think the sub-freezing temperatures in Prescott, AZ over the holidays caused this problem. Once I "reconditioned" it, it has worked flawlessly; of course the temps here in Oroville, CA are above freezing plus the car is in the garage.

Edit. I thought I replaced the original battery in 2016 but it was actually in 2017.

Reactions: HecticArt