New Edmonton arena

Discussion in 'NHL' started by Andrew8468, May 17, 2012.

1. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

2. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

That's pretty cool!
    Nice looking city...
  3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Where's the giant mural of the Queen? :scatch:

Edmonton is nice. I haven't been there since 2005. Friggin cold there in the winter :(

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2.0 :)
  4. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

That's a pretty cool building. Is it going to be built for sure?
  5. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who thought 'Giant Sperm' when I saw the outline of the building?
  6. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Yes.

Till now.

Thanks a lot.
  7. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Someone has spunk on the brain :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2.0 :)
  8. Andrew8468

Pretty sure it is supposed to symbolize a drop of oil. And the portrait of the Queen was in the old Winnipeg Arena. Supposedly it is in a warehouse somewhere near Toronto.
  9. Andrew8468

10. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Arenas Interruptus
  11. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Maybe the old rumors of the Edmonton Oilers moving to Houston can return can?
  12. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

Hockey in Houston would go over like a lead zeppelin.
  13. FlyersFan76

FlyersFan76 Member

Yeah that is all we need. More teams in the southern region. The NHL needs less welfare not more. Tired of my ticket money paying for teams that can't even breakeven.
  14. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

And that is one of the reasons there won't be hockey this year. The owners need to agree amongst themselves over revenue sharing or no revenue sharing before they can work out a deal with the players.
  15. sjam613

sjam613 Member

Couldn't agree more.
  16. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

You would never know, it could do great down there.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  17. FlyersFan76

FlyersFan76 Member

At least 10 ownership transactions have taken place in 10 years. Rough estimate. 2 of them were Toronto and Montreal.

1 was Minnesota which never should have lost there team in the first place
    1 was Pittsburgh which despite their popularity now had some rough past.

The rest where Southern teams which only do well then the teams are winning. You have to be able to sustain a profit without welfare while still sucking.

Tampa- twice
    Sunrise, FL- once or twice
    Nashville- twice
    Dallas- once
    Phoenix- 3 at least.

The Flyers were 7th in attendance the year they were dead last in the standings. I went to 10 games that year and it sucked but people still went.

The southern teams not so much.

The Panthers-Devils series didn't even sell out 1 of the home games. Unreal.
  18. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

The Houston Aeros a minor league team in the AHL. They have done great off and on. The fans have supported them for many years and also when Houston almost did landed a NHL team, but due to ownership feuding. Either Columbus or Nashville got the expansion team. But what I am getting to is, the south can support hockey not on Atlanta which lost there team twice. People say that Phoenix can't support a hockey team, but there still here. So it mainly the north who can't handle a team, which moves south. So I say it time for Houston to get an team, but some small north city will probably land a team.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  19. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Phoenix is there at the subsidies of the Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadians, Boston Bruins, Philledalphia Flyers and other profitable clubs who funnel money into the NHL to run your club. Your ownership failed. But your team is Betman's wet dream and rather than have it moved to Hamilton or fold he took ownership of it. Now it is a 100% subsidy/tax on successful clubs since nobody with an ounce of business sense wants it if they can't move it. Your team is a perfect illistration of what PhillyFan's point was.

Nothing personal but Arizona cannot support a team. It has proven this.
  20. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I went to a few San Diego Gulls matches back in the '90s. It was fun stuff :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk :)