New Online Player Released

IndustrialH

"So much music .... so little time..."
Jan 18, 2015
Canada
If I had my window back, I'd use my Lynx
I don't like fussing around with an app or web player while I'm working. I'd rather just drop the radio in the dock and let it go.
I agree - I have the Onyx and it's boombox, the only reason the living room has a TTR1 is the window faces the wrong way. I finally lashed out and activated the Tivoli for beside the bed and wish I had done it ages ago. I like my radio to be a radio :)

The negative I see with the app and internet is using the listening data to formulate channels and programming. The listening habits of actual radio listeners are really unknown. SiriusXM knows I listen to Bloomberg some mornings - courtesy of the TTR1, but have no idea what I listen to in the car on the way to work. It was Symphony Hall this morning, I felt like a change. But I digress :)

Reactions: HecticArt

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
The internet access is part of the package with the radio that's in my wife's car. That said, the web player was pretty simple. Once launched, it would run in a mini window, just above my mail server. I could open other browser windows or desktop apps without any interference.

But running off the phone is more of a pain, because I use the phone for other things at the same time, and I need to have my headphones plugged into it (I have a bluetooth speaker and aux-in car receiver, but not headphones). So now I'm much more selective with my HSS listening.
I miss Stream_On.

That was a fun time in my life for many reasons, one being that I'd get home from work about 12:15 in time for the first Howard replay. During his first break, I think he'd play a news update before the actual commercials...anyway, once the actual commercials started, I'd play a particular song. When the song ended, I'd use the Stream_On volume slider to adjust the H100 volume back up...just in time for the break to be over.

Oh well...good things don't last. There was a time when I could turn on my TV about 6:14 and take it to 6:30 by watching weather and sports reports and have it be commercial-free by flipping broadcast channels.

However...knock on wood, but it seems like the timeout "feature" is either no longer a thing, or it's set really high. I was using the app the other day for...I don't know how long and it didn't time out.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
SXM is running a new ad campaign

upload_2019-7-11_17-3-27.png

So naturally, I'm thinking WTF does this really mean? Did they add features to my existing subscription? Am I getting something new that I wasn't getting before?

The answers are: Nothing, No, No.

The best I can determine is that they did away with the satellite-only option. The all-access sub is $21/mo, and it includes listening "outside the car" (what an idiotic way to say it). For $13/mo, you can get the online-only sub.

So my sub, which used to have 2 components to it:
1) Satellite for (maybe) $16/mo,
2) on-line for (maybe) $5/mo;
is now a single thing for $21/mo. (Plus royalty fees and taxes).

Isn't marketing great?!

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Two more thoughts on this:
- They mention video, I don't know if that's new or not. I've been watching clips of Howard on-demand for months.
- I listen "inside my car" using my cell phone with the streaming app. Is that part of "outside the car"?

IndustrialH

"So much music .... so little time..."
Jan 18, 2015
Canada
So if I am reading it correctly the Sirius Select package is now the same as the SiriusXM Select - meaning the NFL has been pulled with MLB taking it's place. This is going to cause three of my family members to go feral to say the least. No mention of College FB either.
A quick glance at the Canadian site indicates no change there at the moment.

It would be great to know what the subscription percentage per package is at the moment.