New Slacker Portable at Best Buy

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I'm really tempted to get the Slacker Portable.

The idea of it sounds amazing, and I like the online portion of it and sites like it, like pandora, LAST.FM, and more.

BUT, after playing around for a while, I think I might get bored with having stations that have songs I may not like. I think I just like the idea of a new gadget at the moment, because the more I think about it, the more I wonder how much I'll enjoy the stations it makes for you. I like playing with it now and again. But next to Sirius and my Zune, it'd be hard to find time to use it and get the monies worth. If it were the only device I had, then maybe.

Arrrgh. Decisions decisions.

hank-the-dwarf

Oct 12, 2008
Baltimore Md
I have a freind that has it and it is pretty bad ass-i think that internet radio is the next great medium-Satrad was good but internet radio has much more potential as far as music goes now anyway.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I have a freind that has it and it is pretty bad ass-i think that internet radio is the next great medium-Satrad was good but internet radio has much more potential as far as music goes now anyway.

It does in terms of bandwidth. It does not in terms of coverage.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
It is interesting to think how much internet radio will expand in as little as 3 years. With it being able to get into cars and more and devices like slacker, it's going to be exciting to see what we'll have.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It is interesting to think how much internet radio will expand in as little as 3 years. With it being able to get into cars and more and devices like slacker, it's going to be exciting to see what we'll have.

Unless the greedy jerk-offs at the RIAA come up with another way to try and stifle progress and innovation.

Personally, I am enjoying my Sonos system. I have the high-quality Sirius stream running through there, along with Rhapsody. I added the Rhapsody to go service and I can load my 4GB Insignia player with over 800 songs to take on the go.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
I wish I could afford a sonos setup. Maybe down the line someday, but for now, I can dream, hehe.

You might be able to pick one up on the cheap on eBay. They came out with some new Sonos models about 90 days ago, and some folks are looking to unload their older ones. I have the older ones and they work just fine for me. The newer ones are really not all that different.

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
Is the slacker also on the best buy webpage as well

15_1.gif

MikeV

Oct 15, 2008
Northern VA, USA
www.mikev.com
I've been considering Slacker as an alternative, since it appears that XM's music programming is being pretty well slaughtered. I'm holding out for Orbitcast's review of the G2, and I've also been watching the Slacker forums for peoples' thoughts as they get it.

MikeV

Oct 15, 2008
Northern VA, USA
www.mikev.com
Well, I wouldn't expect the price of the device to go down significantly anytime soon.

I've been playing around with Slacker a bit more lately and think I might just spring for this. I'm not yet a subscriber to the service, but since you don't have to be a subscriber to use the device, it might very well satisfy me as far as what I'm looking for in audio entertainment, given what I'm expecting to happen to XM when the programming changes kick in.