New to Lynx - Questions

mtu_huskies

Aug 10, 2011
Hi all,

Recently I upgraded from an old Starmate to a Lynx. I got the most recent update, and I really like it so far but have thought of a few questions.

There must be no memo button to store a song or artist?

For recording shows, I think I have to turn the unit on to allow it to record, is that right? I scheduled a recording last Saturday but it didn't record. This will be mainly a car radio, I'm thinking it's too much of a hassel to have to remember to go out to the car, turn on the unit to allow it to record.

How long does your Lynx take to turn on and be listening to music? I counted 21 seconds yesterday, seems like a long time.

Thanks for the help! I might think of more questions, but that's all for now.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Be patient, new update is on the way which could remedy all these observations

There must be no memo button to store a song or artist?

No- we all have requested this feature- could be on the new firmware update coming very soon which will have the new MySXM Customized channels and, hopefully many more new features!

For recording shows, I think I have to turn the unit on to allow it to record, is that right? I scheduled a recording last Saturday but it didn't record. This will be mainly a car radio, I'm thinking it's too much of a hassel to have to remember to go out to the car, turn on the unit to allow it to record.

Records fine when powered off in home dock- I have recorded in car dock, but haven't tried while powered down.

How long does your Lynx take to turn on and be listening to music? I counted 21 seconds yesterday, seems like a long time.

When its completely powered down and you turn it on, it has a lot of separate systems to start up: Initializes Satellite, checks for WiFi & Blutooth even if you're not using them, scans for SD card and recordings and several more, so 21 seconds is not too bad!

However, when in the car and you turn your car off, it goes in standby. When you start your car, it resumes whatever content you were listening to in about 3 seconds.

Last edited:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I don't record much at all, so I'm glad Mikeargo replied first.

My experience with the other stuff is pretty much the same. The only thing I question about the next update is the ability to save individual songs like we could do with the SL2. My guess is that we won't see that right away. The delay with that is apparently due to SXM's negotiations with the RIAA. They are reportedly trying to negotiate directly with the record labels too. With all of those lawyers, I can't picture things going quickly. Hope I'm wrong though.

Enjoy your Lynx, and welcome to the DRC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtu_huskies

Aug 10, 2011
Hi all, thanks for the responses, I read them but never responded.

I thought I'd do a post now that I'm 2.5 months into the Lynx. I hate to say it, but if I was a new subscriber (I've been with Sirius since 2004) I'd probably have cancelled by now and gone back to ipods/radio etc.

I think my main issue is with the satellites, with Sirius, I had the antenna in the car in the back window, no problems ever. Now with the XM antenna, I've had to put it outside and still get dropouts when driving by some of the taller buildings in my small city, and even a few times when driving by big hills! Frustrating, especially when I'm using Tune Mix, so I have dropouts minutes later becuase it's playing a song it recorded earlier.

The other big issue is the can't initilize satellite, with the satellite button fading in/out. It happened too often, so I returned my original unit, I've had it happen a few times on this unit, but not for a few weeks now.

These items make me with I had my starmate for fast startup and the good signal from the Sirius satellites, but oh well, I still have the lynx and have enjoyed some of the future on this radio like the Tune Mix. Just my thoughts!

MikeJW

Oct 27, 2008
i have a question. i just upgraded to a lynx and in the house i have it with the home kit. i noticed i get a "no satellite" message when i go to the "rockbar" channel. i get all my other channels fine. I do have the siriusxm everything package. i can get the channel in internet mode, but not satellite. any reason for this?

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Never heard of anything like this before.

Try shut down, pull the battery for 30-40 seconds, and then restart it.
If that doesn't work, try the erase and reset thing.

MikeJW

Oct 27, 2008
tried both suggestions. rockbar is still the only station that has a difficult time coming through the satellites. it constantly cuts out. I'm using the lynx in the home dock and it's connected to my speakers. every other channel is coming in fine. any other thoughts?

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
tried both suggestions. rockbar is still the only station that has a difficult time coming through the satellites. it constantly cuts out. I'm using the lynx in the home dock and it's connected to my speakers. every other channel is coming in fine. any other thoughts?

mtu_huskies & MikeJW, Have you contacted SiriusXM and asked about Satellites/Repeaters in your area? Both of your issues sound more like problems with receiving a signal than actual radio problems. A lot of times equipment used to send the satellite signal goes out or just needs maintenance and SXM is not made aware of the problem. Please state your location and someone else on this forum may be able to help with this.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
mtu_huskies & MikeJW, Have you contacted SiriusXM and asked about Satellites/Repeaters in your area? Both of your issues sound more like problems with receiving a signal than actual radio problems. A lot of times equipment used to send the satellite signal goes out or just needs maintenance and SXM is not made aware of the problem. Please state your location and someone else on this forum may be able to help with this.

I recall from XMFan, with XM sats, there are 2 bands of signals. It was possible to have good reception on one and poor on another. Solution was to move the antenna just slightly to have good reception on both bands. Not sure this is the issue here but it has been my experience that reception on an XM radio is not variable by channel. You either have it good on all channels, bad on all channels, or not at all on all channels (case above being the only exception).

MikeJW

Oct 27, 2008

im in rancho cucamonga, california

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I recall from XMFan, with XM sats, there are 2 bands of signals. It was possible to have good reception on one and poor on another. Solution was to move the antenna just slightly to have good reception on both bands. Not sure this is the issue here but it has been my experience that reception on an XM radio is not variable by channel. You either have it good on all channels, bad on all channels, or not at all on all channels (case above being the only exception).

Wow. That's a new one for my "Goofy as Hell" file. I haven't run across that before.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

DogstarRadio.com Sirius Radio Satellite and Repeater Map

There's a repeater near Pomona that lists as active, but I'm not sure if it ever managed to reach Rancho.

Go into your settings ad check your signal strength meters. You'll see Sat strength and repeater strength that you're receiving.

See if you can get Rock Bar on your Lynx in using your internet feed instead of the sats.

MikeJW

Oct 27, 2008
yes i can get it through the internet feed, its just frustrating though that i have to switch to internet just for that one channel i enjoy. just seems weird to me that all other channels come in fine through satellite.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Wow. That's a new one for my "Goofy as Hell" file. I haven't run across that before.
Actually a very common problem that most subs just don't understand.

My point is, if you're having reception problems(after you make sure your antenna is pointed correctly and plugged in securely)Please contact SXM and ask if they can check on repeaters in your area to make sure they're working properly. They may not know that there are problems with some of them.

mtu_huskies & MikeJW: Did you know you can check your signal strength to properly aim your antenna? Go to settings > About Lynx > Connection status

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
yes i can get it through the internet feed, its just frustrating though that i have to switch to internet just for that one channel i enjoy. just seems weird to me that all other channels come in fine through satellite.

I agree completely.
And oops, sorry, you did say last night that your internet picked it all up just fine.

SIRIUSaboutXM's advice is your next step.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Since SXM help does not work on weekends, Try this number 877-283-6506 and ask for Advanced tech support

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

It happened only if you had just moved the antenna around to get the bars and left it. You would get channels either above or below 76 (at that time). The positioning is subtle and if you have full clear view, its an unlikely scenario but the only one I have heard before that is channel and not tree specific.

SIRIUSaboutXM

DRC Special Contributor
Oct 29, 2008
Anderson, SC
Just spoke with ATS and they said they have no repeater outages in your area, but they would like you to call them to help get this issue resolved- the direct line is (866) 635-2349. Good Luck- I love Rockbar, too!! :buttrock:

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
It happened only if you had just moved the antenna around to get the bars and left it. You would get channels either above or below 76 (at that time). The positioning is subtle and if you have full clear view, its an unlikely scenario but the only one I have heard before that is channel and not tree specific.

I believe ya. Some of these goofy things just never stuck in my mind if I hadn't had to deal with them. Glad you guys remembered. :hatsoff: