Next Replacement (stiletto 2)

Discussion in 'Sirius Portables' started by Plowboy67, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Plowboy67

Plowboy67 New Member

Hey guys,
    Looking for my next replacement to my Stiletto 2. Here's my history: started off with a Stiletto 100 with lifetime subscription in 2007 and within 2 years upgraded to the Stiletto 2. Within a year, had software issues and have had to do numerous device recoveries, I got another Stiletto 2 to replace it (fortunately Sirius waived using one of my lifetime subscription transfers). Up until this spring unit worked flawlessly then started having same problems as first one. Sent the units (both Stiletto 2's) to Drew at TSS to get them worked on. Got them back and still had same problems (Thanks anyway Drew!).
    So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and look for a new unit. Any suggestions comparable to the old Stiletto 2.

Thanks,
    Dave
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

There is nothing that is currently made that does as much as the SL2 did. Most are basic satrad units, not portable and no recording.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Like IRBS said, there aren't any new true portables being made. The Lynx was the last of them, and SXM quit making and supporting them. It sounds like it was too expensive for SXM to keep up with. You can still find them from time to time at TSS, and on eBay. I still like mine, but don't use a lot of the bells and whistles. It's a little quirky, but not too bad. I have to pull the battery a few times a week to get it to boot, but hardly any other issues.

If it craps out on me, I'll go for something simpler like a Sportster 5. The Sportsters and Starmates are very stable platforms.
  4. Plowboy67

Plowboy67 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys ! I do realize that there is nothing out there now that does what the SL2 did. Just looking for something reliable that can hold up to the test of time and is fairly easy to retrofit the new dock into the existing audio and antenna connections. (I'll have 7 of them). I'll start looking at the Sportsters and Starmates as Hectic suggested.
    HecticArt likes this.
  5. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

Glad to help Plowboy. Let us know what you end up doing.
  6. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

Plowboy, I do a reset and erase on my SL2 about once a month. I erase the oldest recording first. Radio replays will save to random spots on the HD.

There are related threads on how to baby a Stiletto. I had one go down because the discs overheat over time (mine last 4.5 years) and Drew couldn't repair the receiver.

It's cool to know you have a PC with Windows XP to conduct periodic device recoveries. TSS has a dedicated laptop just for that service.

TSS has multiple standalone portable and plug n' play units. They are endorsed by just about everyone who posts on this site. Mention that you frequent these forums and ask about sale items and some SWAG in your shipping box and experience premium service by a 100% US company.
    HecticArt likes this.
  7. TSS Taylor

TSS Taylor DRC Fan

For portables I'd stick with SL100, SL2, Inno, or XMP3i. The Stiletto's do need to be babied and not have them overstore or record on them. Inno2 is better than Inno1 and make sure you get the XM XMP3i not the Pioneer XMP3.
    Vols44 and HecticArt like this.