Next Replacement (stiletto 2)

DJL

Jan 20, 2009
This is really an interesting discussion for me about the SL2. I have not been on this board for awhile. However I just wanted to throw out my two cents about my SL2. I still thankfully have one that still works with a lifetime subscription. I use it only in my car. The antenna was mounted by Best Buy outside on the trunk. It amazes me though even with the outside mount, I live in Massachusetts (south of Boston) and sad to see how trees really ruin the reception at times and there is nothing you can do. Still I'm determined to just keep using it because it still works well.

My issues I have with the SL2 is that it no longer records for me and I lost all of my "Favorite" recordings and songs. It only has my stored music I uploaded a long time ago. I don't know if there is any way to get mine to go back to recording. I sent it a few years ago to TSS and they did a great job cleaning it up and babying it as some of you said and it's still working since probably 2005. My other question as I was reading this thread was about keeping the radio out of heat. This is probably where I have failed as the owner and continued to leave it in my car when I'm at work and home. Do you usually take it with you everywhere you go or how do you deal with the heat and is the cold just as bad a problem on it? Thanks for any advice and appreciate this thread.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Keeping it out of the heat is a good idea.

Have you tried any of the clear memory & reset tricks that people have mentioned?

It's awesome that the thing is still running at all.

Good luck with it.

Reactions: DJL

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My SL2 also won’t record. It is a bug in the OS and once corrupted it is done for. No more option to do a reload. Reset doesn’t work anymore. Still works but I listen online now mainly.

Sent from my iPhone6S using Tapatalk

Reactions: DJL

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
This is really an interesting discussion for me about the SL2. I have not been on this board for awhile. However I just wanted to throw out my two cents about my SL2. I still thankfully have one that still works with a lifetime subscription. I use it only in my car. The antenna was mounted by Best Buy outside on the trunk. It amazes me though even with the outside mount, I live in Massachusetts (south of Boston) and sad to see how trees really ruin the reception at times and there is nothing you can do. Still I'm determined to just keep using it because it still works well.

My issues I have with the SL2 is that it no longer records for me and I lost all of my "Favorite" recordings and songs. It only has my stored music I uploaded a long time ago. I don't know if there is any way to get mine to go back to recording. I sent it a few years ago to TSS and they did a great job cleaning it up and babying it as some of you said and it's still working since probably 2005. My other question as I was reading this thread was about keeping the radio out of heat. This is probably where I have failed as the owner and continued to leave it in my car when I'm at work and home. Do you usually take it with you everywhere you go or how do you deal with the heat and is the cold just as bad a problem on it? Thanks for any advice and appreciate this thread.

I'm guessing you meant 2015, as no Stiletto was around in 2005.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
The SL2 I bought in January of 2010 started acting up last week. It won't record, delete or R&E. I'm going to call TSS on Monday to see if they still have the laptop with an old version of Windows to reload the firmware. If that fails I'll ask if Droo is still repairing portables and ship it to his place in Maine. My first SL2 wasn't repairable because the hard drives were corrupted beyond repair.

I've got one last backup unit and one more $75 transfer left on my lifetime. If the satellites are shutting down in 2023 then I'll cross my fingers My last SL2 will make it to the finish line.

I've been enjoying the app on my smartphone a lot. Each update is better than the last and I can listen to many on demand items at the press of an icon. The extra channels are a welcome change of pace.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Last I heard was that they still had the computer with the old software. It's always worth checking in with them.
I need to hit them up for another car dock for my Lynx.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I was an Inno guy. The Inno batteries I have in my radio hall of fame have eaten it over the last few years from non use. The one I sent to Grandma two years ago is still rocking and rolling. I just visited and it works like it's 2005 (that's a great run for anything digital eh). Never messed with the 2 but I know it has some upgrades. That radio is tough. I miss it. I love the app but it sucks my phone gigs down. If you close the app it remembers the spot you were in on that channel. Is it sucking down gigs when it's closed down, or only shut down if I log out of the app? I don't log out normally.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Talked to TSS Richard on Wednesday. He confirmed they still have the ancient laptop with the last functional version of firmware. I shipped my receiver to their new address in Manhattan Beach, California. I'm interested to see if my second SL2 will come back from life support, need Droo to perform surgery from his loft in Maine or my receiver is brain dead (plays yes, records no).

Reactions: HecticArt and JHDK

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Talked to TSS Richard on Wednesday. He confirmed they still have the ancient laptop with the last functional version of firmware. I shipped my receiver to their new address in Manhattan Beach, California. I'm interested to see if my second SL2 will come back from life support, need Droo to perform surgery from his loft in Maine or my receiver is brain dead (plays yes, records no).
I did not know they moved to California. My SL2 is in the brain dead state but hasn't been even powered on in years. Listen in car or online or on my phone.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I did not know they moved to California. My SL2 is in the brain dead state but hasn't been even powered on in years. Listen in car or online or on my phone.

After TSS Richard assured me the ancient laptop with the recovery software was up, running and in his possession I sent him my corrupted SL2. He received it, fully recovered the unit and shipped it back to me within a week. I put it through it's on, off, recording, deleting and R & E paces and it's operating like new.

A bow and hats off salute to TSS Richard who gave me a 33% DRC discount. The entire process cost me 20 bucks instead of 30 which is pocket change for a SL2 with play only capability on a lifetime (I have one more $75 transfer left).

Their new location hours and Chicago area coded number are all listed in their site. Both times Richard called me back within a minute and completely answered all questions with the utmost professionalism.

He mentioned TSS will send out holiday sales information and plan on holding their annual garage sale between January and April. He did say outside of the garage sale event sales have been lagging.

I told him I would email my unused and accumulated hardware list and see what they want for resale as a donation and debt of gratitude for all the outstanding service they've rendered over the years.