Nexus Phone

Discussion in 'Android' started by semipenguin, Jul 6, 2016.

1. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I'm considering getting a Nexus phone. Either the 5X or 6P. Anyone have any thoughts on these phones?

I will be using it on the Verizon network.

Thanks
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

I have a friend who loves Nexus phones. Hates the extra crap carriers put on them. Likes that he gets the latest updates straight from google without having to wait for a 3rd party to provide.
    semipenguin likes this.
  3. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

I was talking to someone recently that had one.
    They liked it, but we didn't get into much detail.
    If I can remember who it was, I'll ask for more info.
    semipenguin likes this.
  4. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

5. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

Read stories about the Sailfish and it has all the options and features my son will love. He'll give me his Nexus5 since my current hand-me-down (Galaxy S3) is limping and hiccuping along with poor reception and a weak battery. The 5 inch screen on the Sailfish is about the same size, package it with a 821 Snapdragon processor, 4GB of RAM , 1080p display 32GB internal storage, 12MP rear and 8MP front camera and 2770 mAh battery and top it off with Nougat 7.0 software and the $449 Sailfish and 5.5 inch display on the Marlin ($599) are ready to hook and reel in by the school full in mid September.
    semipenguin likes this.
  6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

That's cool. I got my g/f son a Nexus 6 for his birthday. I'll keep my LG G3 for a while. Hopefully it won't die. I just bought two new batteries
  7. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

I am looking at getting a Nexus 6P or Motorola Z Play GSM phone to replace my Note 4 once I switch carriers to Cricket next month. I would love to wait for Black Friday... but I can't stand paying $152 a month for 2 smartphones on Sprint when I can get the same thing (less data, though) through Cricket for $70.

I will be giving up unlimited, unthrottled data and gaining a data bucket and higher ping times... but the money going back in my pocket every month is the driving force behind my switch. $82 savings per month and I am throttled to 128kb after going over my data allowance, which is still enough to stream Slacker or Google Play Music... so that works for me.

I really want a Nexus Phone for the ability to have Nougat now... but I also want an SD Card Slot for storage expansion. Its going to be a hard choice for me. I may decide to just get a Motorola X Pure Edition due to cost. I have lots to think about.
    semipenguin likes this.
  8. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Good luck. I went with the iPhone 6s+
    blueneon36 likes this.
  9. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

As an update to my post above, I ended up buying the Moto Z Play GSM outright last October and its been running on Cricket (AT&T towers) ever since.

Cricket has been great so far, and I bought up a ton of gift cards at 15% off (10% off plus 5% redCard savings) from Target, so my monthly cost for 2 lines of Unlimited Talk, Text, and 8GB of Throttled Data at 8MB Speeds is $76.50 for 2 lines.

The Motorola Z Play has great battery life, is pretty snappy, and is comparable to most flagship phones for only $400.

Unfortunately, the camera in this phone sucks (daylight photos included) and is a significant drop off from my Note 4. I knew that going from a flagship to a mid range phone would come with some challenges, but having a decent camera is a must for me.

I will probably sell this phone on Swappa and get the Sony Xperia XZ Premium when it comes out later this year, provided it has an SD Card slot.
    semipenguin likes this.
  10. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Decent pics are a must
    blueneon36 likes this.
  11. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

I almost have to be on Verizon to get service in the hinterlands I frequent for work. I'm seldom without service, luckily. In town or on a main road, all carriers are decent.
  12. blueneon36

blueneon36 Active Member

Thats why I am looking into the Camera on the new Sony XZ Premium coming out in May/June... 19MP Rear Camera, 13MP Front Camera, slow motion recording at 960 fps, and the rear camera has the ability to take 4-5 pictures at once because the camera's sensor will have its own memory.

The battery on the XZ Premium seems small at 2900 mah, so that has me concerned. The 4K screen will consume alot of juice. Even if the new Snapdragon 835 processor is more power efficient, I guarantee you that I wont get almost 3 days out of a single charge like I do now with the Z Play.

I would love to wait until the next Note is unveiled, but all of Samsung's bloatware is unnecessary and I would have to buy the phone direct from AT&T or T-Mobile to use on Cricket. Decisions, Decisions.....

Most carriers are ok here... except for T-Mobile. I cant get service in my house at all with T-Mobile.

We were paying $152 a month with Sprint on 2 lines with unlimited data. They wanted us to start paying installment payments on on our next phone upgrades, so we jumped ship. Cricket uses AT&T's Towers, and their coverage here is just as good as Verizon.
    semipenguin likes this.