Nhl Expansion?

Discussion in 'NHL' started by Wolf, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

More like Detroit and Columbus would fight tooth and nail to stay in the East.
  2. blyons200

blyons200 These pretzels are making me thirsty.

They are in the eastern time zone
  3. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

Move the Capitals to Kansas City
    blyons200 and sbv71 like this.
  4. blyons200

We'll take a NHL team in KC! We're already a 2 sport town so it will take some time to build a fan base though.
    sbv71 and semipenguin like this.
  5. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

6. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

7. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

8. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

9. blyons200

I still thinks its a dumb move for the NHL to expand
  10. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

NHL Expansion Isn't Going As Smoothly As Everybody Hoped

Looks like this might be the latest delay in the future NHL expansion for Quebec City and Las Vegas.

The Canadian dollar needs to be stabilized; another, more intriguing possibility is they’re waiting for one of the many potential Seattle-area ownership groups to get their shit together. The NHL belongs in Seattle, but so far no one has been able to get a firm arena plan in place—and probably won’t unless an NBA team is part of the package.

A Seattle-Las Vegas duo makes more sense for the currently unbalanced conferences (though it’s not as if they couldn’t absorb Quebec and then, say, shift Detroit back to the West). But it might be a while before Seattle is ready, and before Quebec is financially promising enough to assuage owners wary of diluting talent and national TV contracts. Would the NHL expand with just Las Vegas? We’re all waiting to find out.
    semipenguin likes this.
  11. blyons200

Detroit will never go back to the West. They only did as a favor to the NHL. They were originally East and want to stay there.
    The Dallas Cowboys play in the NFC East. Why can't Quebec City play in the West? But like I said, dumb move for the NHL to expand.
  12. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

Expanding to Quebec is wise. Expanding to some southern hotspot which can't support hockey is stupid. Betman is of course and idiot so will no doubt approve Vegas.
    blyons200 likes this.
  13. Andrew8468

Andrew8468 Plans on freezing in the dark

NHL won't go to Seattle without an arena. Seattle won't approve an arena unless there is an NBA team on the way.

Vegas is a done deal IMHO, they have 14000 season tickets and all suites sold and the T-Mobile Arena is almost ready to open.

As for the Videotron Centre in Quebec City, I think they are sunk by the exchange rate. The expansion fee works out to $650 million Canadian dollars. I think Les Nordiques come back with a franchise relocation like the Jets. (Coyotes or Hurricanes)

Have heard rumblings again of second franchise in Toronto sharing the Air Canada Centre with the Leafs (see Staples Center in LA) with Bell getting one team and Rogers the other, not sure what happens to the rest of MLSE (Raptors, Toronto FC, BMO Field)
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  14. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

I vote KCMO
    blyons200 and sbv71 like this.
  15. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

The Coyotes aren't moving anywhere, but possibly to the other side of the valley, where the real attendance and fan base is at. Plus they're about to announce some final details by end of April. This is what going on as for now.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/news/2016/03/18/state-could-create-tax-district-for-new-coyotes.html

Basically they have three locations:

The golf coarse next to ASU
    The Salt River Indian Reservation near Scottsdale
    Tear down the old South building of the Phoenix Convention Center
  16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Kansas City and the Avalanche would have an interesting rivalry. Much like the NFL.

Kansas City and Quebec. Call the Quebec team the Nordiques.
    semipenguin likes this.
  17. semipenguin

semipenguin Bum Looker

There's too many East Coast teams
  18. blyons200

That's where the majority of the population is, and a majority of the hockey fans are.
    How bout we move the Lightning to Quebec City, move the Coyotes to Portland/Seattle and don't expand?
    I for one do not want to see MLB or NFL expand to Canada, but moving NHL teams to Canada only makes sense if they want to make money. I don't want to see any league expand at all.
  19. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

Why are you consistent on moving the Coyotes? They're already plans on building a new arena in somewhere in Phoenix either with the Suns or ASU.
  20. blyons200

Because they bleed cash and they have already moved twice in Phoenix and are moving a 3rd time. They are very unstable. They could move Carolina and Tampa to Canada as well since those teams also bleed cash if they don't win.